Recommend me some Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I_Zimbra, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_Zimbra

I_Zimbra New Member Thread Starter

I'm curious to explore Tangerine Dream. Pretty much all I know by them is their contribution to the Risky Business soundtrack.

Any experts or even recent converts who can guide me in where to start?

Thanks in advance.

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Phaedra, Rubyon, Ricochet, Stratosfear, Tangram are my favorites...

One of the best songs "3AM at the Border" (Stratosfear)... great harmonica effects... very unusual for Tangerine Dream.

Shak Cohen and gryff like this.
  3. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I like the above and can add

Hyperborea

Force Majeure

There are others and I regularly listen to their material up to about Tiger / Underwater sunlight

Simon :)

gryff likes this.
  4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Excellent choices. Start with any one of these albums.

5. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

There are many people who think the first four albums are superior to anything that came later:

Electronic Meditation
    Alpha Centauri
    Zeit
    Atem

I believe Green Desert was also recorded in the pre-Phaedra era (although not released until the '80s).

6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Those are excellent albums but I'd be afraid to direct someone there to start with if they're only familiar with the Risky Business soundtrack. One listen to Zeit might scare a newbie off forever: double album, four twenty minute songs of creepy deep space music. Unless the OP is REAL adventurous.

7. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

I'd recommend anything from 1974 - 1987.
    TD started out being extremely uncommercial and beginning with Phaedra, became a little less so with each album until they reached the point of total blandness. The sweet spot for me is between '74 - '87.

My faves are Rubycon, Ricochet, Tangram, Exit, and Poland. I have a soft spot for Cyclone too, although I acknowledge that the vocals on it are dire.

Also worthy are some of the solo LPs that Edgar Froese did in the same period. I'd recommend Epsilon In Malaysian Pale and Stuntman in particular, although be sure to get original pressings. Froese drastically remixed these in recent years, and not for the better.

8. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

...true, just like there are many people who think Pink Floyd peaked with The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. But I'd bet there are many, many more people who think otherwise.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The live Poland.

Hepcat and Folknik like this.
  10. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

Personally, I recommend you start with Phaedra, then Rubycon, Atem, Zeit, Alpha Centauri, Encore. If you like those, then move on to Edgar Froese's solo stuff such as Epsilon in Mayalsian Pale, Aqua, Macular Transfer. Also consider Klaus Schulze's early works like Timewind, Blackdance, Moondawn, Picture Music.

Mark

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  11. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Without a doubt the Album EXIT's first song, "Kiew Mission". Just Stunning..... If you like the sountrack to Risky Biz, this is a good start.

Check out this live Performance of "Kiew Mission" from Munich 1981.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPPu0QMPG94

The gorgeous Blond narrating the Continents at 1:50 is messmerzing. This is probably my favorite TD piece. Wish I would have been at that show.:angel:

Enjoy!

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

In short, 70s TD :righton:

13. darkmatter

Tangerine Dream - Kiew Mission (1981)

Splendid Thanks :D

I love that piece too the "mesmerising" vocal, but I have always liked the theme that comes in at 4'49"

Now I am going to have to have a TD fest at the weekend or sooner

I will need to check if my CD is the first pressing, if not I will have to find one :eek:

14. Tone

Tone Senior Member

:agree: ........ Wonderful transition and theme that sticks in your mind. This in one of their best formed pieces IMO.

After watching 'the narrator' I was too tongue-tied to spell 'Mesmerizing'! After hearing her voice for years, she's just as easy on the eyes. :love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPPu0QMPG94

I have most of TDs albums, so I think I'll be spending a weekend myself. Really dig their stuff.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Sounded nice , has
    EXIT been remastered ?

16. darkmatter

Yes 1997 I believe, would need to check

17. Tone

Tone Senior Member

18. '74 - '80 is my favorite TD time ... :angel:

19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

The Exit remaster was an SBM and only for Europe. There is also the original Virgin CD which was for Europe as well and the Original Elektra (still in print and only $2.98 from some amazon sellers) which was US only. The original Elektra and Virgin are both different masterings and sound nice the SBM remaster is a bit too cold and digital for my taste. Wasn't worth the effort I spent seeking it out in the middle 90's.

Here's my recommend TD:

Sorcerer Soundtrack
    Stratosfear
    Force Majeure
    Tangram
    Exit
    Thief Soundtrack
    Firestarter Soundtrack
    Risky Business Soundtrack
    Green Desert
    Poland
    Flashpoint Soundtrack
    Le Parc
    Underwater Sunlight
    Cleveland 1986

My favorite era is from 1980-1986

proedros likes this.
  20. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

No-one's mentioned Encore yet, so I will. Great live album.

21. I suggest you begin with Stratosfear.

22. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Great list! .......... The 'Sorcerer' Soundtrack is super. Their best work for film IMO. Though I have a soft spot for Risky Business.

Btw...... I once asked Steve Reich in person if he felt that he had influenced TD on the Risky Business soundtrack, and he curtly replied...... "they were paid to rip me off!"....... I didn't 'follow-up'.

23. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I recently got all of their seventies output: eleven releases from 1970 to 1979 (besides the 1977 Sorcerer soundtrack) in 2 seperate Disk Union Japanese mini-LP boxes, the 1st four on Ohr (the Electronic Meditation SHM mini-LP box) and the subsequent Virgins thru Force Majeur (The Phaedra mini-LP box)...I think the first 4 are way more mindblowing, but it's all good, IMO !!! Tangram, the next one from 1980, is good too...I'm not sure I want (or really need) to venture any further though, the 3rd (and 4th?) Box has just been released:
    http://diskunion.net/progre/ct/news/article/1/10229

24. 1982's "Logos Live" also check the band "Redshift"

25. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

The Tangents Box set, although it has some remixing, I thought was a good overview of the Virgin Years and the accompanying soundtracks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.