Recommend some good TV please.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dmiller458, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Mad Dogs.

2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Deep breath....
    Let's go by network (these are more recent series):
    Hulu: The Path, Shut Eye, Casual, Handmaid's Tale, Future Man, The Looming Tower
    Amazon Prime: Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (truly marvelous), Sneaky Pete (season 1 much better than season 2), Fleabag, Catastrophe, Good Girls Revolt
    Netflix: American Vandal, Mindhunter, Orange Is The New Black (fantastic), GLOW, Love, Santa Clarita Diet, Master Of None, One Day At A Time
    HBO: Westworld (season 1 is great, season 2 less so), Divorce, Barry (best show this year), Big Little Lies, The Leftovers (a real mind bender), The Deuce, Veep
    Showtime: Ray Donovan, The Affair, Shameless, Homeland, SMILF, I'm Dying Up Here (amazing)
    FXX: You're The Worst (fantastic), Better Things
    Over the air stuff: Last Man On Earth, Good Girls, Superstore,
    You'll notice that I left off some obvious choices-these are my faves and I don't tend to go along with the big crowd pleasers. Also this list is comedy heavy, just my preference. Be aware that some of these shows have been cancelled and left off with some cliffhangers (The Path, Shut Eye), although they were still highly entertaining.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    alexpop and d.r.cook like this.
  3. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I'd second Killing Eve (BBC America). Reading your list it seems like you would enjoy it.

Edit: I see you are already aware of it!:D

dmiller458 likes this.
  4. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I hear you and of course you are right. I don't need TV to be realistic, but I just felt that as the series wore on they broke the viewing agreement for me. We obviously disagree on this. I felt they wanted to jump forward and introduce quirkiness for the sake of quirkiness. I need a bit more setup in my characters before I can go along. I never understand the rush to crazy plot developments.

I can laugh at the Beverly Hillbillies and Friends without needing development and exposition. They move along at a breakneck pace, the situations are funny and I buy into the characters because they don't actually ever change. That is the essence of sitcom characters and series. Once Mozart started to slow down and develop the characters I just didn't enjoy that they were more consumed with Rodrigo's neuroticism and quirks (And I totally get that artists of all types are quirky more than anyone else in the world) over his character and actions as a person. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed the series a lot and I found some of the characters delightful. I loved that third season in Italy. That was great character development and plot. It was a movie unto itself. If they had ended the series there I would have been happy.

I didn't really watch the show as an insight into the classical music horniness and greed milieu just as I wouldn't watch Grey's Anatomy for it's insight into the medical world. I did love it as a background though.

Thanks for the insght on Mrs. Maizel. I may come back to it. As I said, I love the time frame and I'm a comedy fan.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Thanks for the thoughtful answer Carrick. We've just gotten into series 4, and actually I somewhat agree with you, really, in that I felt the show had come to a perfect stopping place at the last series (one could make a case they could have wrapped-up all the important narrative way early into Series 3). I like the characters and their world, though, so I'm willing to go where they want to take us for the coda. I spent a lot of time in bands, some in orchestras, and performing in general onstage, and maybe I'm more interested in that world than a casual viewer (or, maybe it's just Lola. :love: Never seen an oboist playing the lead before).

Definitely hear your point about shows that pivot too soon. In Mozarts' case I'm guessing they didn't expect Amazon's longer-term commitment when they plotted it out, and on receiving extra innings they just started with all the extra stories they had to tell that were originally edited-out of the plotline at first. Many shows do this, then cap it off with a wedding or a death in the final lap.

The real trick to this is, when do you make that "pivot"? There is a thematic point where the audience can't just stay engaged with characters that don't evolve to some extent. And if they're Superman-sized icons, you have to assume the writers are gonna just return the tray tables to their upright positions and prepare to debark. So, characters around them get morphed: this villain has a relatable motivation; these guys over here not really as nice as we first thought; suddenly your greatest ally is now working for the Other Side.

And it's not like the audience doesn't notice; they put good time and loyalty into this show and characters...and suddenly half the cast dies in a house fire (or as more likely, dies in Contract Re-negotiation...don't worry, Mr. Character Actor, if you were any good at all, CBS is bound to have a pilot for you...)? The show simply has to add fresh elements because the original elements are no longer enticing to a potential audience who's already made the decision to not watch, and you know your core audience won't sustain you into the next season; there's always a new game show concept they can try in that slot.

carrick doone likes this.
  6. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Gilmore Girls? don't get that comparison at all. Not anything even remotely like the Gilmore Girls.

7. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (2016)
    (not the ESPN reality doc but the John Travolta one)

amazing

8. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

though it seems most of my best recs have been mentioned already, i'll throw out a few more-especially if you have Netflix:
    Godless-Netflix
    Ozark-Netflix
    Mindhunter-Netflix
    Brockmire-IFC
    Black Mirror-Netflix
    GLOW-Netflix
    100 Code-WGN
    Deadwood-HBO
    Boardwalk Empire-HBO
    Hap & Leonard-Sundance
    Taboo-FX
    The Deuce-HBO

trumpet sounds and dmiller458 like this.
  9. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

The snappy language and back and forth from the first episodes. It was a reference made at the time and I started watching partly because of that but as you note, beyond the use of language there is no comparison.

10. Pjotr into Music

Pjotr into Music Don't be afraid to play this LOUD

Mindhunter, Penny Dreadful, Fargo, Handmaids Tale and Peaky Blinders really have stood out for me lately.

dmiller458 likes this.
  11. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Current enjoying...

Elementary
    Black Mirror
    Inside Number 9
    Tales of the Unexpected, excellent old repeats

12. Downton Abbey, not based on your tastes as described but because you might not have watched it and I liked it.

dmiller458 likes this.
  13. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

'Humans' on Ch.4 (UK).
    'The Expanse'.

14. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Excellent show. I LOVE Michelle Dockery. I watched both Godless and Good Behavior simply because she was starring in them.

15. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

If you get Amazon Prime and you like British crime dramas check out Whitechapel set in modern times.

If you like period British crime dramas there is a 4 episode series called The Suspicions of Mr Whicher which I really liked (also on Amazon Prime). Set in the mid 1800's

16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Power is back.

17. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

I cannot believe I left off the show I can not wait to return for season 2-The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon!!! this show is so good. the acting-especially Brosnahan, the writing, the supporting cast. really outstanding sense created of time and place IMO.
    Not a powerful drama or anything but really funny and damn fine TV.

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Brenald79 likes this.
  19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Hard Sun

Bron Broen

Marcella

Black Mirror

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just started watching a Netflix series called The OA (that's, "Oh-ay", not "ohhwa"). Appears to be a mystery about a young lady with a past. It's opening-up nicely. Lead actress Brit Marling has contributed a lot to the writing and producing.

dmiller458 and woody like this.
  21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Mad Men, Homicide: Life on the Street (though skip the last series), The Wire, Bosch, The Bridge (original), The Killing (original), Wallander (all the versions, though the Swedish shows are better), Spiral (French cop show), Trapped (Icelandic cop show/mystery), Hinterland (Welsh cop show), Twin Peaks (all of it), Line of Duty (British cop show - though it gets dummer as the series progress), Handmaid's Tale, Six Feet Under, Sherlock, The Messiah (British cop show), Shetland (British cop show), Whitechapel (British cop show), Deadwood (f**k, yeah).

22. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

I would include Dirk Gently and Baskets with many others already listed.

23. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Dirk Gently is bizarrely good. :righton:

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Letterkenny is being shown in the US for the first time now on Hulu.

Scope J likes this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That is one crazy show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.