Recommend some great African LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mogens, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just got back from a couple record shops in Milwaukee where I stood paralyzed in front of dozens & dozens of intriguing looking lps from African musicians. I know Fela and a few others. But the rest of these wonderful looking reissues (and new records) had me scratching my head. What do you recommend that's out there in shops today?

Steeve and macdaddysinfo like this.
  2. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Either of these...but really anything by King Sunny Ade...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Sounds like you rate LPs by the cover. :laugh:

You say nothing about your music tastes and what beside Fela you have heard. Africa is a continent BTW and too big to lump all together. I subjectively distinguish 5 major regional styles (and dozens of sub categories): Northern Africa - Arab influenced; Ethiopian, Nigeria-West Africa, Zaire-Central/East Africa and South Africa. You might go to a site such as Dustygroove (Chicago) which has fairly good selections of recent issues and reissues and read their write-ups.

http://www.dustygroove.com

4. This one:

[​IMG]

And this is its most famous track:

5. Sorry. Didn't notice the last part of your question. I don't think my recommendation is currently in production, but it's a very important music release from Africa anyway.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  6. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Youssou N'Dour. Start with Nelson Mandela (1986) and move forward. Oh, and the first three Osibisa albums - even though somewhat "Westernized" and not "pure" African - are essential. They opened the gate to Africa in 1969. Have fun! :righton:

7. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have actually been to two distinct parts of Africa (Morocco and South Africa) so I do have a very real sense of its size and cultural diversity. But I don't have any reason to prefer one area over another and I'm interested in all of them. I rate LPs by their music mainly, but if I don't know the music, then I'm left with the cover. Which is why I'm asking for recommendations. I've heard: Hamza el Din, various Ethiopian jazz compilations, Ali Farka Touré, Amadou & Miriam, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, and some others. And yes, I know these musicians are from all over the continent and some of them have very little in common. I'm just looking for more good music.

8. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Beat me to it!

9. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I was just tweaking you as I thought the smily indicated. Again you might read through the writeups at Dusty groove. They actually attempt to describe the LPs. Ethio jazz means Mulatu or Hailu Mergia to me mainly but there is Ethio R&B and folk pop as well. The Ethiopiques series documents the majority of it if you haven't sampled them already. There are some LP reissues as well as the CDs again at Dustygroove. I find the African music of the 60s and 70s much more interesting than later African so I would be much more willing to chance a comp from that era. For example, I have several Rochereau albums of material between 1964 and 71 but would never buy anything after the mid 70s from him.

Tony A., Texas T and macdaddysinfo like this.
  10. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Check out some of the compilations released by Soundway Records (Nigeria Special, Ghana Special, et al).

11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Run to the store as fast as you can and plunk down your cash for this gem:

Who is William Onyeabor?
    [​IMG]

12. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

13. Texas T

Texas T Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of Orchestra Baobab from Senegal.

Start with the double CD "Pirates Choice" which covers 1982 sessions which were originally released on cassette in Senegal. The group has a number of vocalists and features the incredible Barthelemy Attisso on guitar and Issa Cissoko on sax. They reunited in 2007 and released the fine "Made In Dakar" album. In 2008 the group did a short tour in the U.S. and Europe. My wife and I flew from Houston to Boston just to see Orchestra Baobab, since they were not coming anywhere close to Texas. I am so glad we did. It ranks as one of my favorite live shows ever.

I have 10 of their albums and while I would recommend "Pirates Choice" or "Made In Dakar" as the place to start, I am happy to own all of them and would buy any Orchestra Baobab album I do not own immediately upon sight.

PBo, uphoria6, Marzz and 7 others like this.
  14. kellys

kellys Forum Resident

They are getting famous but I think still the real deal

15. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

16. kellys

kellys Forum Resident

Do you have a good name ? Now if that song is not an earworm ...

notesofachord likes this.
  17. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

Anything By Tony Allen who was Fela's drummer whether new or old, he is one of the few that has stuck around since the 60's and still makes amazing music. I really like his album "No Discrimination" the best though.

The Nigeria 70 compilation is fantastic as are any of the african records on the Strut label (Afro Strut), Also on Strut is a record by Segun Bucknor "Poor Man No Get Brother", its also on Vampi Soul called "Who Say I Tire" its just fantastic.

Any of the Mulatu Astatke records are amazing he is an Ethiopian musician.

From Mali check out Ali Farka Toure. My favorite is "The Source".

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    mackeyse, Marzz, Six String and 2 others like this.
  18. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

+1

19. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

A few artists with really no bad output:

Ali Farka Toure

Tinariwen

Franco

Tabu Ley Rochereau

Bombino

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Anything by Pablo Lubadika Porthos

Pamela Mounk'a

Empire Bakuba

Zaïko Langa Langa (The Beatles of Congo)

Bisso na Bisso

Try to find the two Island Compilations "Sound d'Afrique" and "Sound d'Afrique II "Soukous" " which are an essential introduction to francophone Africa.

Just yesterday I found a double LP called "Africa Express presents Maison des Jeunes". I took a punt because I know the music of Mali well and it was just six quid. Turned out to be sublime.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  21. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

If you like Tinariwen, you might also like to listen to Tamikrest.

22. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

If you like Fela, check out the 'Shango' lp by Peter King, that one's really funky. Ebo Taylor is good as well.

23. Harbins_Grave

Harbins_Grave Untitled Original 11383

Psychedelic Aliens - Psychedelic African Beat (Academy)

Various Artists - Kenya Special (Soundway)

Various Artists - World Psychedelic Classics 3: Love's A Real Thing: The Funky Fuzzy Sounds of West Africa (Stones Throw/Luaka Bop)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  24. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Try Makossa music (that of the 70's and 80's) It was a very prominent genre throughout sub-saharan Africa during the 80's. I dig a lot of African music because guitar is often heavily used and at the same time its very rythmic and easy to dance to.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=36OzNqDzL1Q

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ8LUQgbKz0

These songs are all from west/central Africa.

Soul Makossa by Many Dibango is actually where MJ got his famous 'Mamase Mamasa Mamakossa' line from. Try these artists LP's

Charlotte Mbango
    Ben Decca
    Ndedi Dibango
    Prince Eyango
    Grace Decca
    Andre Marie Tala (blind guitarist)
    Eboa Lotin

These were all prominent makossa musicians in Cameroon (the country my parents are from) during the 60's-80's when they were growing up. Good luck

25. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Here's a fave from Eboa Lotin. Matumba (1968)

Love the guitar and rhythm on this track.

Bobby Buckshot and macdaddysinfo like this.