Recommend some great Bollywood?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by VU Master, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member Thread Starter

My wife and I have a weakness for Bollywood films. We love the wild costumes, gorgeous ladies (ok that's mostly me), over the top color, big dance sequences, and silly story lines.

Recommendations, anyone?

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm not a big authority but Bride and Prejudice is a good movie... Based Pride and Prejudice...

3. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I don't watch a lot of newer Bollywood as most of them are quite frankly not worth my time. But every now and then a few come up that are quite decent. The one I enjoyed recently quite a bit was "3 Idiots". One of my favourites from the 90s is "dilwale dulhania le jayenge".

I mostly enjoy the older classics from the 60s and 70s but they are not the big lavish song and dance numbers the Bollywood movies are now. Which in my opinion is the problem as plot and story often take a backseat.

Still checkout "3 Idiots" if you haven't already I think you would like it. It's quite funny as well. I enjoyed it.

-- Sanjay

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Abhijit Nath

Abhijit Nath Forum Resident

Dev D is very nice..excellent music and a nice new generation plot. Well worth your time.

5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

6. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

P.K with Aamir Khan is quite very good. I think it came out last year.
    Bajrangi Bhaijan (I think thats the spelling) was a lot of fun when we saw it in the summer. Completely unrealistic of course but fun and the only Salman Khan movie I've liked.

RayS likes this.
  7. RayS

Aamir Khan has made a number of movies that I like. "Dhoom 3" was escapist but it was a lot of fun. "Talaash" was very different, and had Kareena Kapoor going for it. I haven't seen "PK" (Netflix used to be a lot better at offering fairly current Bollywood films).

My favorite Salman Khan is "Ek Tha Tiger" with Katrina Kaif. His current movie, "Prem Ratan Dhan Payo" is essentially the prince and pauper done for the millionth time, but he is engaging in it.

I saw a good one last night - "Tamasha", with Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika Padukone. I read the reviews after seeing the film, most of which summarize 95% of the plot and would have totally sucked my enjoyment out of the movie. In the "anyone can write a review" online era it seems like doing a plot summary and ruining the film for the viewer is the easy way out for people who can't write very well!

Billy Infinity likes this.
  8. Bollywood dancing is the prog-rock of dancing.

White people couldn't dance to Yes' "The Agent (Giants Under the Sun)," but the Indians sure could!

I've never watched a Bollywood movie at my home, but when I'm sitting in an Indian restaurant (which is often), I can't keep my eyes off of the TVs there. It's so fascinating and complex.

I need to watch some more of these dancing flix.

9. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Aamir Khan's Dangal from last December is a very enjoyable film.
    Based on a true story. It's on Netflix now.

My wife said she very much enjoyed "Bajirao Mastani" which is I think a year or two old now.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  10. RayS

I definitely enjoyed Dangal. I had the good fortune of seeing it on opening night in an American theater that was packed full, and the crowd "went wild" in the heroine's big moment. I felt like it was a bit of a departure for Aamir Khan - to play a "crusty" set-in-his-ways person rather than the quirky individualists he tends to play.

I didn't get a chance to "Bajirao Mastani". I did see "Tube Light", Salman Khan's new movie (with an extended cameo by Shah Ruhk Khan) a couple of weeks ago. The plot was a bit contrived and manipulative but I still enjoyed a great deal of it. Salman's brother (who played his brother in the film) came off better than he did, IMO.

11. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Ammoru

12. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

It's amazing. "Deewani Mastani" is a fantastic song from the film.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.