Recommendations for a pretty good CD/DAC combo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bilgewater, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey Y'all,

So I'm beginning the hunt for a CD/DAC combo (preferably one box) to go into my two-channel stereo system. Am eager for recommendations, experiences? ALWAYS want to buy used, because I'm very price sensitive. Let's call $1000 the price limit for this item.

Since synergy is often a concern, my current system is Rega p3/24 turntable, Conrad Johnson PV10 tube preamp (up-modded), Conrad Johnson Premier 11a power amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand speakers. A very warm and tubey system, built intentionally for acoustic modern jazz on lp and cd.

The new item would be replacing a Linn Classik K (a groovy little integrated cd player/receiver/power amp; can be bought VERY reasonably used) which I'm thinking of taking out of the system in order to not muck up the CJ smoothness signal chain (though I'll be sacrificing the handy Linn remote control). The new item would also be replacing, or perhaps sitting beside, a Rega Apollo CD player (currently in second system).

I'm just wondering if I can get a good one-two punch with an excellent CD player and laptop-connectable DAC for around $1K. I see much more expensive ones reviewed, in the$5k range. Not gonna happen.

Truth be told, I'm not that into playing files or streaming music from the computer, but am looking into options for non-cd digital-signals/analog-pre and power amps.

Oh and I could also get a line cable from my Centrance Dacport headphone amp and perhaps put it into the AUX channel on CJ preamp. Does that sound intelligent to the wiser heads among us? Centrance's web site doesn't say how long that interconnect is.

Thanks for any ideas, fellow audiophiles.

2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Rega Apollo R CD and Rega DAC are a natural combination ( I know two box) and with patience the $1000 target isn't un achievable. The DAC is also very flexible. Two optical, two coaxial and a USB (note the USB is limited to 16/44.1 or 48).

bilgewater likes this.
  3. phred

phred Forum Resident

Try a Bada HD23
    (The Burr Browns are not as glassy as the current fan boy favorite ESS Sabre)

4. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. Very interesting. $700 Or best offer on ebay, sold by manufacturer. I couldn't find any actual reviews of this item from Hong Kong, though. Just found a few loose comments here and there. I'm curious how it compares with a Rega Apollo or Apollo-R, for example. The older Rega Apollo can be found used for around $450 sometimes.

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

You could look for residual stock of remaining Marantz SA-8004 (currently SA-8005 is $1200) for less than $1k.

Got good reviews - and lets you dabble in SACDs.

6. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Looking into SACD and DAC combo's myself. Not sure what I want but I am looking into the new Marantz 8005 or older 8004. I have a all analog passive pre-amp now, using the Dragonfly DAC out from my old Mac Pro now. Running that over about 18 feet of cheap RCA cable into the pre.

Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.