Recommendations for a Tube Power Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leviethan, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

It'll be harder to drive the Pioneers (likely depending on the phase).

2. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

It will actually be easier to drive them with their lower ohm value. Not sure what Phase has to do with it. But the higher a speakers ohm value, the harder the amp has to work to get a certain output.

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Wile you can always buy a used tube integrated, and I have. But it is a chancy thing to buy and own one. I do have come background in dealing with used and vintage equipment. I would not recommend it for a first time tube amp owner, unless he has a good deal and knows about the seller and the background of the amp.

If the OP wants an new integrated if will run him about twice his budget,

I am not suggesting using the SS amp as a long term solution. But the Anthem is a quality piece of gear and has a nice preamp section.

The OP will need to make some compromises if the is going to do this on his current budget.

To cut corner's is a very bad idea.

He can always locate a vintage preamp anytime down the line or a new or used one.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

This is true for a good solid state amp, but not for a tube amp. Steep phase angles as well as dips in the impedance curve are going to demand more current from the amp at those frequencies.

googlymoogly and Spin Doctor like this.
  5. Spin Doctor

Ahh ok. Learn something everyday.

6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

There's always relatively new amps/integrated that are not vintage being sold on the used market. I got my M88 for a grand.

7. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Newer tube integrated from brands like Rogue, Line Magnetic, Primaluna, etc. seem pretty much dummy proof and are high quality pieces that don't require much knowledge or maintenance, IMO. I bought my Primaluna One five or so years ago knowing exactly zero about tubes and it hasn't given me a day of trouble or left me with any questions I couldn't answer.

trd and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident Thread Starter

So not the best option then?

9. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

It would need to be something you tried out in your system to know for sure. I'd go to a hi-fi shop and tell them what you are trying to accomplish and what you want to spend.

10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I wish it were true! I've got 4 ohm speakers and a
    I've given my thoughts, but I feel like I made a very solid suggestion, and I also feel like those directing you to PrimaLuna are making a good point. Some of the PL designs have has fuse issues. Cayin makes good options. There are many companies putting out good push/pull integrated amps. The less well known the maker, the less they hold their value. Then there are the features.

The M88 I suggested has no phono section, which you don't need. It also has the tubes in back so it's not as showy as the standard tubes up front amp. The PrimaLuna gear has auto-biasing circuits. Personally, that's not something I wanted. The M88 has a nice set of real balanced inputs, which is killer for a digital source, IMO. There's no channel balance knob. No mono switch.

You can get what you want for the price you want, just decide on the features and also look at how much you might want to throw at new tubes. I spend more on NOS tubes than I did on the used amp. I'd also consider carefully what output tube you want to run. They all sound a little different, and many amps will run more than one.

If you are not worried about resale, the M88 might be the killer of the bunch. Raven is making some really nice amps right now. See what you can find. If you get something new that is on the used market, you can probably save some money and get something that won't have to be recapped, etc.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  11. Spin Doctor

This sounds like good advice. Plus I didn't emphasize the really great thing about tube amps is that you can change a few tubes and get a COMPLETELY different sound out of it. You can move the soundstage front to back, wider, narrow, increase bass, make horns sing, or whatever... And that's with just normally priced tubes.

When I got my AI preamp so many years ago (used) the seller told me that if I went ahead and spent the cost of the preamp on NOS tubes, it would go to an entirely different level. I never did, because I'm not that audiophile driven but I think that's probably true. But my system sounds better than a lot of systems that cost way more than mine. It can play anything, never makes my head hurt and I never get tired of it. But I managed to make it sound the way I want, so it's basically been tuned to my taste.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    juno6000 and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

I am not understanding why you are quoting and pointing this out to me? I said;

Could not agree with you more.

I own three Rogue amps, A pair of M-150 monoblocks, A Stereo 90 and a Cronos Magmum with KT-120's (series I). I have one PrimaLuna Prologue Five, which is why I feel confident and qualified to recommend it to the OP. I have two Line Magnetic amplifier's, a 211iA and a 518iA.

My comments were;

Which is why I am recommending one of the "NEW" amps on your list to the OP, the PL "Prologue Five", which the OP can get now "New" at close out prices. When these deals are done, this product will be gone forever and someone wanting one of these amps would have no alternative than to buy one used, for perhaps the same price that he can buy one NEW now.

PL does NOT transfer warranties to subsequent purchaser's of their equipment. The NEW PL comes with a one year parts and labor warranty (except for the tubes), when you register your purchase with Upscale Audio, they were extending the warranty for a 2nd year, without charge.

I don't see how anyone is going to beat this deal on a new, quality piece of PL gear.

13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Once rebuilt hum is not an issue.

14. Leviethan

Anybody have experience with an HH Scott LK-72? I'm intrigued by the center channel. I could run my powered Velodyne sub off of that, couldn't I?

15. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Just rebuilt a similar Scott 299A. Same phono/preamp as LK-72, but the LK-72 is 35 watts vs 299A 17 watts per channel. It is a fine amplifier.

Leviethan and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. Leviethan

Cool, I think that will be enough wattage for my speakers.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Leviethan

Well, I just bought an HH Scott SK-72 today from a guy whose Dad used to own a stereo shop. The sticker on the chassis says: SCOTTKIT Assembled by (illegible signature) February 3rd, 1961. All original USA Westinghouse, Sylvania, (Baldwin) RCA blackplate tubes, and a Mullard rectifier. This thing is magnificent! No hum or other noise. I'll take it to my favorite tube amp tech, but I would be really surprised if it needs any work at all. I plugged my turntable in, first with the Budgie preamp in the "Extra" channel. Now the TT is straight in the MAG High channel and I'm really not hearing much of a difference. Bye bye Budgie!

Photos:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/GQiN5edRSkmT8MTv5

googlymoogly, Ezd and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. SandAndGlass

The phono sections in these old Scott and Fisher tube integrated's (and receiver's) are quite nice. You need to climb the ladder above a budgie before an external amplifier will make much difference. The Budgie, is a nice little tube preamp for those who want a tube preamp sound but have SS or a tube line stage without a phono pre.

19. Leviethan

I've really enjoyed the Budgie. It's great for needledrops. I am excited to run the tape outs from the Scott to my convertor and see how it does.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Leviethan

Two last questions: My speakers are 6 ohms, and I'm running them into the 4 ohm taps. Cool? Also, I need a source switcher for the speakers between the Scott and my Marantz A/V receiver. Any suggestions? Something less than $50 preferably.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

There are plenty on Amazon for less than that.

But, for just a little bit more, you can get a real nice push button switch in a steel box.

I use one myself. hat is mine on top of the Polk LSiM707 directly to the right of the TV. It is from Russound.

Table Top, Dual Source Selector $62.69from Amazon Prime.

It has three plug-in screw terminal blocks in the rear that you attach the wire to and then plug into the box. I prefer it that way.

Not that much of a fan of those cheap plastic switch boxes. This is a really solid box with a nice push button switch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leviethan likes this.
  22. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

You might need some kind of buffer stage between the tape outs and whatever you are using to record with - I have a Harman Kardon Award 300 tube integrated from the early 60's where the tape outputs have such high impedance that any modern equipment's input stage overloads it and drags the signal down. I ended up buying a Little Bear P5-1 buffer amplifier for needle drops. The Little Bear sounds great once I replaced the Chinese tubes with NOS GE JAN's.

Leviethan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.