Recommendations for large CD storage cases?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nojasa, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm trying to consolidate all my cd's into one room, so need to find one, maybe two, very large CD shelf-like cases. You know, something that resembles a huge bookcase. I have close to 2,000 cd's to organize. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer or retailer? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

nojasa likes this.
  3. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

No - the only Saunder might have for you, is a pressed-wood structure put together with plastic connectors, that is sure to be either 3 months from being re-puropsed to hold laundry in the basement...or, to decorate your tree row on Trash Day.

There are others who will be quick to recommend "Can-Am" drawers, which are too low to the ground, too heavy to carry even a drawer at a time, and metal which wouldn't necessarily withstand a WAF ("wife approval factor").

A simple shelf on a wall, takes up more space than a drawer, taking up wall space, and only holding the depth of one CD - AND they stand up so you have to crick your neck looking through the titles! Yet most people think this is an option. :crazy:

Yes, I know, but what alternatives are there? Bedroom chests would be great...IF their drawers could stand the weight, there was file-cabinet drawer hardware to pull them out all the way without tragedy...and if you could replace that top two drawers with the same drawer as below, instead of sock drawers. They've got the shape, they're just not ready for holding anything but belts, socks and cardigans.

When I have my CD's in storage, I use those acid-free-cardboard boxes from the comic store: the magazine size. There are wonderfully-ergomic - accidentally! - for holding all sorts of media with little wasted space (won't even rattle around in there!) such as cassettes, VHS tapes, videogames and 5-inch reel-to-reels. Also, the boxes fully-packed with CD's aren't too heavy to carry - and they have hand-holds! These will hold 122 CD's, more or less (66 on the bottom, another 66 on top, spines facing up). You can lay them two rows lengthwize, or 3 rows the widthwize. Or what I do is, one way on the bottom, and the other on the top - that way a disc from above isn't as likely to fall down to the bottom. I just moved into a new home. My collection, still awaiting space to store and sort the stuff upstairs-vs.-downstairs, sits on a pallette in the basement, 2 or 3 boxes atop one amother, contents marked on the front of the lid, sturdy, safe, organized.

Yeah, it's not a cabinet per se (like the one I had to go out and get built because I couldn't find a drawer cabinet out there that sufficed!) but these mazagine-sized comic boxes can problems for you, cheaply and efficiently...and durably. Been using these for literally decades!

nojasa likes this.
  5. gss

gss Forum Resident

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    nojasa likes this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I have two of the Gothics with a similar shorter one in between and two little ones on the end. I have a third Gothic in another room with overflow.

[​IMG]

7. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. This is helpful. Gothic looks like it has potential. Any other recommendations, please let me know.

8. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

nojasa, lightbulb and gss like this.
  9. gss

gss Forum Resident

nojasa, Jeff Kent and lightbulb like this.
  10. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

nojasa likes this.
  11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

nojasa likes this.
  12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

One day I'll just build my own floor to ceiling custom shelves along my CD wall.

jeffreybh and nojasa like this.
  13. gss

gss Forum Resident

What is the opinion of revolving media towers? I like to see a big shelf full of discs too, but this model holds nearly 1200 CDs. Plus the space saving benefits might allow for two of these units in a space that could only fit one large traditional shelf.

Not that cheap, $250.00 each. So, $500.00 to store approximately 2400 CDs. Not bad.

Venture Horizon Revolving Media Tower 1000 Oak Amazon.com: Venture Horizon Revolving Media Tower 1000 Oak: Kitchen & Dining

14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Mine's called an iPod. :D

I know, I know, haters will be haters....:shh:

15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Here's a better picture of my 2 Gothics with the shorter one in the middle. It's very asymmetrical and one day I'll just make built in floor to ceiling shelves in the whole hallway. The beauty of my CD collection location is that it's all along one hallway wall therefore taking up no real useable space. There aren't even any electrical outlets or light switches on that wall.

[​IMG]

lightbulb and nojasa like this.
  16. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I'm calling Hoarders to stop by. That's impressive, especially like the jazz boxsets like Fats Waller.

17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

And this is the organized part of the collection. I know where everything is, though I'm not entirely happy with the way the box sets are organized. I have another shelf that has all my LP sized boxes as they line up nicely.

18. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

nojasa likes this.
  19. Years ago, I bought a couple of storage shelving units similar to this:

Atlantic - Oskar Wood Media Cabinet - Maple

With vaulted ceilings, I was able to stack one of these on top of the other(mounting the upper one upside-down on top of the lower one with the wider base at the bottom and the top). I anchored the top shelving unit to the wall with 90 degree angle brackets screwed to the unit and molly-screwed to the wall. Been that way for well over 15 years with no problems, even through several minor earthquakes.

I filled those shelves fairly quickly so I had to consolidate. CD sets which had 2-3 CD's and in double cases, I put single sized jewel cases which held 2 or 3 CD's. Sets of 4, if in a double case stayed, but if in 4 individual single jewel cases were also moved to double cases. There are double sized jewel cases which can hold 8 CD's, so these were handy for boxed sets. Some sets like the Columbia/Sony 100 years CD boxed set and Warner Bros. 50 years boxed sets are pointles to reduce, so they go in a regular bookcase. You can buy multiple-CD jewel cases from companies like Bags Unlimited.

nojasa likes this.
  20. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

RoyalScam, SteelyTom and nojasa like this.
  21. gss

gss Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.