Recommendations on a MC cartridge for LP12

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vex, May 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vex

vex New Member Thread Starter

I've been using a 100% Linn LP12 setup for about four years now and I most certainly love it. It's outfitted with the Ekos arm, Trampolin base, Lingo power supply, and Linto phono stage.

I've been using a Klyde cartridge and my second one is up for replacement. Although I really love this cart, I've become disenchanted with its lifespan. I believe a high-end cartridge should be good for more than two years, even if it does get heavy use. I figure I use the deck on average for six hours per week. That translates to about 624 hours of use before the cart starts heading south. I figure it should be good for at least twice but perhaps three to four times that amount of time before replacement should be considered.

In any event, I'm ready to break out of the Linn rut and am looking for an incredible cartridge that will mate well with this setup. I'm open to any and all suggestions! The main problem is that the Ekos arm has a very small mounting tolerance, so suggestions for moving coil carts that are know to be mountable on this arm will be most appreciated. Besides this criteria, I am looking for something that will hold up for between 1500 and 3000 hours before retipping/rebuilding/replacing need to be considered. As for sonic performance, it should (naturally) blow my mind. Price should be at most around two grand.

2. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

How about the Lyra Helikon? It's around two grand and it's a very neutral uncolored cartridge.

3. vex

Actually, I have been seriously considering this cartridge. However, I don't know if will mount on the Ekos arm. Do you have firsthand experience with this cart? How many hours is it generally good for? Any experience or opinions that you or anyone else can share about this or similar carts will help me a great deal.

I don't have the time or inclincation to be auditioning a bunch of carts. I just want some reasonable assurance of one that will provide me with trouble-free analog bliss for three or more years.

4. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I am surprised at the short life!

It seems to me, I would be contacting Linn ab out that MC. I would think 2000 hours should be the min for that high of price of cartridge. Are you looking for something with a three point mounting system like the Linn? I would recommend a Koetsu, but I am afraid the life span may be just as short. Your other option, in my mind, is to look at someone besides Linn retipping your MC. A while back, Sterophile had an article about someone who retips in England. You also have VanderHaul who retips other manufactures MC's as well. Look up the article in Sterophile, if I remeber correctly, the cost to retip was very low compared to the cost of the MC being retipped, and much less than Original Manufacture.
    Other than that, what do you listen too? Maybe you should check out one of the cheap giant killers, like that CLearaudi Aurum Beta S. At only $450, you sure could not go wrong if it is to your likeing. Plus, I have begun to wonder if in Pop music, MM is not better. Also another one to think about would be one of the low output Grado series of wood bodies. The sound is very nice on those MM. The higher out put MM may not work well with your Linto, I seem to recall it really is mostly a MC type Phono amp.
    And of course if all else fails, I have a nice vintage close and play for sale (LOL)!

5. Martin M

Martin M Forum Resident

Superb turntable

If you want to bypass Linn cartridges try a Dynavector XX-2 ($1600)- its a perfect fit for Ekos and sounds superb. I would not recommend the standard Helikon in your system, too much output not enough subtlety, musically a bit stilted- go for the low output version (Helikon SL) instead much better in every way a fine match for the Linto.

Also bear in mind the Linn's Arkiv B is manufactured by Scantech while the Klyde is made by Goldring, hence have rather a different provenance. Obviously, the Arkiv B is good match for the Ekos.

I have not encountered 'short-life' problems with any of these cartridges.

While we are on the subject you will hugely improve your turntable's performance by removing the Trampolin and replacing it with standard feet and no baseboard. The Trampolin is a bit of a disaster in my opinion. Also, I would strongly recommend a Mana Reference Table or Reference Shelf. In my experience, this is a huge upgrade for the LP-12, more important than the difference between the two cartridges listed above. Don't forget the Mana Spirit Level if you go for one, makes set-up much easier and accurate.

Enjoy.

6. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I have never owned it, only heard it. I found it very neutral and effortless. I believe you can get at least 1500 hours out of it and probably much more with proper stylus care.

7. vex

Okay, to be fair, here is the full story of the "short life" of my Klyde carts. The first one was purchased brand new with my table. After close to two years, it was still sounding great. Then one day the right channel up and "burns out" (I have since learned that this can happen when accumulated internal stresses on the very fine wires connecting the coil to the output leads of the cart can cause a wire to break). I contacted my audio dealer about this who in turn contacted Linn. Since the cartridge was no longer under warranty, Linn refused to do anything about it.

When I first purchased the table, I wanted to buy a Dynavector cart, but my dealer talked me into the Klyde. Now, they felt a bit responsible about the situation so they said they would do me right by covering me with a rebuilt Klyde. The replacement cart has served me well until recently.

So, in reality, I paid for one cart and got four years use out of the deal, so it would seem I shouldn't complain too much. However, the total life of the two carts (let's be nice and say 1300 hours) is still less than the 1500 hour minimum I was told to expect. If the original cart never "burned out" it probably would have served me for much longer than the 624 hours I am approximating. The rebuilt cart is another story... half the price, half the life I guess!

In any event, it’s not too hard to see why I am suspect of continuing with a Klyde. The Arkiv is certainly an option, and it’s nice to know that it is not manufactured by the same company as the Klyde, but with all the great things I’ve read about the Lyra Helikon SL, I’d be inclined to go that route before staying with Linn.

Martin, it’s nice to see you suggest a couple of carts I was already considering. I still wasn’t sure if the Dynavector XX-2 or the Lyra Helikon SL would mount on the Ekos arm, so thanks for confirming that they will. I’m leaning heavily towards the Lyra since the specs seem somewhat better (channel separation and frequency response) and the fact that I can find nothing but positive reviews regarding it.

8. Martin M

Martin M Forum Resident

Vex,

Don't forget the Mana table and the removal of the Trampolin. The improvement from these two changes will easily be as big as that from the cartridge upgrade. I run LP12/Aro/Armageddon/Prefix/HiCap/XX-2 set-up and the improvement gained from changing from an old Tripod table to the Mana was shocking. You'll enjoy it. Contact Flat Earth Audio for details.

The LP-12/Ekos/Xx-2-Helikon LE-Arkiv B really sings on Mana.

Martin

9. vex

Martin,

Thanks a heap for your input. Right now I have a Target wall-mount stand and it works great. My floor is a bit bouncy so any floor-type stand is out of the question. I've tried numerous isolation components to no avail and the wall-mount solution has been a godsend. Perhaps in this situation the trampolin is of benefit?

Vex

10. Martin M

Martin M Forum Resident

Sounding like a Mana advert but...

Vex, its a pleasure to help out.

The Target is OK ( Ihad one of their tables a while ago), but a Mana Reference Wall Shelf will. in my experience, radically improve the quality of the music from the LP-12. At least as much as a big cartridge upgrade, probably more.

Personally, I find the Trampolin has a bad effect on the Linn's sense of Pace & Rhythm (which is pretty bad seeing the Linn is outstanding at these areas) whether it's on a wall shelf or a table.

If kiddies fingers are not a problem, just remove the Trampolin, put the standard feet back on the LP-12 and run it without any baseboard - it will sound best this way. If you go the Mana route ask Flat Earth Audio for the '3M' feet for the Lp-12. They'll supply them for free with the wall-stand. Again, remove the Trampolin an put the 3M feet in the corners.

Also remember if you go for the Mana Reference Wall shelf, get the Mana Spirit Level, its totally invaluable for set-up of most equipment. It far more sensitive than most levels and is drilled so you can palce over the LP-12's spindle for platter level checking (remember the measurement is only accuracte when the platter is spinning though)

Between the new cartridge, the Mana and ridding yourself of the Trampolin you will be in for a real treat - guaranteed!

Enjoy.

11. feinstein

feinstein Member

I can agree strongly with Martin M about the Trampolin. I took mine off pretty soon after I bought it and immediately noticed a big improvement in sound.

Does the original poster have a version 1 of the Ekos or a version 2? I think the version 1 was made in Japan and the version 2 was made in Scotland. I believe that the version 1 has a groove on the mounting post whereas the 2 doesn't (or maybe I have it ass-backwards). Anyway, the cheaper Linn cartridges get ripped to shreds by the Ekos v1, but hold up much better in the v2.

I have had good luck with the Arkiv and the Benz Glider low output, but I found that the new model of the Shure V15 tracks best in my Ekos v1 arm (I'm not saying anything about the "sound" of the cartridge here, just the tracking ability, I actually liked the "sound" of the Benz Glider the best, but it was prone to sub-standard tracking ability, even when aligned with the "Wally" tools for VTA, anti-skate, and overhang. The Shure, when mounted properly is the best tracking cartridge I've ever used).

12. vex

Thanks for the input, guys, I certainly appreciate it. I went ahead and purchased the Lyra Helikon SL today. The dealer had it in stock so I had them overnight it. With this coming three-day weekend, I hope to be experiencing analog bliss for many of those hours.

I considered the Mana wall stand, and it does look pretty nifty, but to be honest, I just don't want to mess with removing the Target and installing a new stand. Perhaps down the road, but for now I'll stick with the Target.

I am intrigued enough to consider removing the Trampolin (I mean, how can you argue with a free tweak?) However, I do not have the "orginal feet" that came with the table. The table was delivered with the Trampolin intact with no other option. Any suggestions on what I should use to support the plinth? I'm thinking that placing the plinth directly on the Target shelf is really not such a good idea...

Oh yeah, how many hours should be allowed for break-in of the Lyra? Also, any recommendations on a good stylus cleaner? I don't think I'll subscribe to Linn's "green sandpaper" approach this time around...

13. Martin M

Martin M Forum Resident

Feet

The small, domed stick-on feet made by 3M that are available from most electronic stores will be good. Go for the fairly hard compound ones. As I remeber they normally come in packs of 20, but seeing that was $4 it doesn't really matter. Altenatively, your local Linn dealer may have the 'official' feet in stock.

I would still recommend that you get a Mana spirit level ($55) for the Target wall bracket. 'Ok' levelling is not really good enough for a turntable. I guess Flat Earth will throw-in the feet for free if you buy the spirit level.

What ever you do, don't run the turnable with no feet, its a recipe for disaster.

14. vex

Level

Oh yeah, I'm anal about getting the table level. The LP12 needs to be totally level to perform at its best (or some would say to perform at all!)

15. Martin M

Martin M Forum Resident

You'll simply love the Mana level then. Its accuracy is measured in minutes of a degree. Nicely made out of milled metal too.

16. vex

Well, I got the Helikon SL installed last night and I was immediately blown away. Now I remember what I've been missing all these months and more. I thoroughly enjoyed my Klyde when it was in tip-top shape, but the Helikon completely blows it out of the water. It matches superbly with my setup. This cartridge more than lives up to all the wonderful reviews it has received. I find it to be exceptionally fast, lively, dynamic and especially revealing. The resolution it offers is truly astounding. It's great to have the opportunity to fall back in love with my vinyl collection!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.