Recommendations on Tube gear?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TimB, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me! Thread Starter

I have in the past used a Dynaco ST70, Golden Tube SE40, and a Bogen 212. I also currently use a Musical Fidelity X-Pre ( tube can pre amp). My current amp is a Musical Fidelity A3cr, which is about the best solid state I have heard in years (realtive to the money, I have heard a few Krell's and Mark Levinson etc at 5-10x the cost).
    My question is, as a second amp, what Tube gear would you all recommend, under $2K, same with pre.
    Maybe I should just rebuild the Dynacao?
    I have heard that the new QuickSilver mini-mono's are good, as is some of the Antique Sound Labs.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Depends where you wanna go or what money you have available to ya. The Antique Sound Labs stuff is great, but I still roll my Dynaco into this or that, and for the money you put into them, they're a real investment. Plus, short of a bad tranny, you can replace basically everything about an ST70 for very low money.

And they still demand decent cash on eBay for that reason...!

Rebuilding a Dynaco is very worth it. My $.02

3. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Audio Research just came out with a new tube amp and preamp which I listened to a couple of weeks ago. I thought the sound was fantastic and both units are about 2 large each. The preamp is remote controlled and is available as a line stage or with a phono stage as an added option. The amp was a 50 watt job and had no problem driving rock music to satisfying levels with a pair of Triangle speakers. Sorry I don't remember the model names but you may want to check out their website or a local Audio Research dealer for more info.

4. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

Try looking at Audio by Van Alstine:

www.avahifi.com

They sell very good sounding products built right here in the USA at very reasonable prices.

I listen to their Omega III preamp and an older Mos Fet hybrid amp. I also have their Omega IV DAC. I really like them all.

Tony

5. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me! Thread Starter

Thanks for the impu!

Thanks everyone!

6. Andy

Andy New Member

7. mazort

mazort New Member

Tube Gear!

The Audio Research CA-50 integrated kicks some serious buttoski IMHO. I'll never sell mine...

If you need more power there's the ARC VT-100's and 200's.

For a real clean sound you can't go wrong with the Audio Note M2 (singled ended pentode), low powered but gorgeous watts.

You can find all of the above used in primo shape at reasonable prices in the usual places.

Some people say if you can find a Dynaco Stereo 70 in really good shape you'll never sell it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.