Recommendations sought for record cleaning brushes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Porkpie, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the Project VC-S mk II RCM and am using the camel hair brush to clean with the fluid I mix up and then a Mobile Fidelity brush for the rinse. I still get the odd pop and click from stubborn dirt that comes off once I run my finger over it or brush if directly and am wondering if there are any brushes out there that would do the job better than the 2 I’m currently using.

2. advanced101

advanced101 Forum Resident

3. Porkpie

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Do you have some replacement pads for your MoFi applicator? Try using that for your wash; don't run the RCM turntable while you apply-- do it manually. If you use a fluid like AIVS No. 15, you can and should agitate and repeat, adding a little more fluid (the MoFi soaks up fluid when dry if you hadn't noticed). Vacuum. Then use your brush for the rinse step. I find that to be pretty effective and have the Monks brushes, which I like.

Porkpie likes this.
  5. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

6. Porkpie

No, I don’t have replacement pads but I should buy some. Does it make a difference to use the pad for the clean and brush for the rinse? Now you’ve suggested it I can see the pad would be better at dislodging dirt, but does it go as deep into the grooves?

7. advanced101

advanced101 Forum Resident

Yes, better. It is pricey but they last a long time.

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I use the MOFI brush with my VPI 16.5 to clean, then the VPI brush for Aquafina rinse cycle.

9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

None of them, brush or pad, actually get into the grooves, but the fluid will; I like the AIVS No. 15, it is stronger than most others but requires agitation and a rinse step. The pad, in my estimation, is better for this kind of fluid application than a brush, though I use brushes for other fluids and for applying pure water for a rinse step.
    I believe in separate applicators or brushes for fluid and for rinse. If you've only used the Mofi for rinse and now use it for wash, you're ok. Eventually the pile wears down and you want to replace that.
    I clean the applicators and brushes using 99% isopropyl alcohol and pure water, rinse in pure water to remove the alcohol. With the pad, a toothbrush works pretty nicely, and you can use the handle of the toothbrush to 'squeegee' the fluids (for record cleaning and for applicator cleaning) off.

Porkpie and Echoes Myron like this.
  10. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I use an Osage brush for the cleaning and a separate Osage brush for the rinse cycle.

11. Porkpie

Thanks for all the advice. I’ll probably switch my use of brush and pad around to try and remove stubborn dirt. I’m just surprised that after cleaning a record I still get a “pop” that’s easily removed by either a brush of my finger or on occasion running the record backwards.

12. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I use a Hunt dry brush and a RCM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.