Record / CD Stores in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by BillyBoy, May 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillyBoy

BillyBoy Senior Member Thread Starter

I am fortunate to be taking a little trip to Hawaii at the end of this month. To celebrate many things all rolled into one (wife's xxth birthday, my xxth bday, anniversary, and anything else we can use to justify the trip). We're going with some of my in-laws (sisters-in-law [& families], father-in-law).
    Naturally, I would like to stop in at a local record / CD store, or two, as I try to do whenever I go someplace new (or old). I mainly collect Beatles (and solos).

So, my question to anyone who can help is: Are there any good stores in Hawaii (need names & locations too). We'll be on the "Big Island" for about a day, and then on to Maui for about a week. I don't think that I'll have much time on the "Big Island", so it will probably have to be on Maui.

I thought about taking a side day trip to Japan, but my wife didn't think that was a good idea. I thought it was an excellent idea.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bill

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Now, *here's* a guy after our own heart--he's on his way to the closest thing we have to paradise on Earth, and the first thing that pops into his head are what record stores he can go to. :D

3. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Bill,

In Hilo on the Big Island, check out CD Wizard. They have lots of used CDs. It is very close to Hilo Airport in an industrial area. But that's basically the only CD shop on the Big Island!

There are only two CD shops on Maui - both are called Requests. The Requests in Wailuku is the better store; the other is in Lahaina. The Wailuku store has lots of used CDs; I've found many treasures there.

I'm sorry that I don't have the exact street addresses on me. Good luck! :thumbsup:

4. BillyBoy

Well Mike, what can I say. I'm always trying to improve myself.

Kym,
    Thanks for the locations. I'll try to check out all three.

Bill

5. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I've been to every island except for Lanai and Ni'ihau, and the only record stores I've been to are on Oahu! Take Kym's advice, he knows what he's talking about. If by chance you should stop in Oahu, used treasures can be found at Jelly's in Aiea.

Enjoy the big island, it's my favorite neighbor island to visit. Be sure to check out the green sand beach, close to south point. Volcanoes National Park should be on any visitors list, the hike to the lava flow is incredible, by far the most spectacular thing I've ever seen. Blue Hawaii helicopters gives a great tour of the volcano and the hilo area.

If you're staying on the Kona side, The Royal Hawaiian Hotel is reccomended. Kona is a really fun town, always something to do. And your chances of getting rained on are considerably less than if you're staying in Hilo.

Have fun!

6. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Tyler,

Do you mean the black sand beach? ;)

7. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

No there is a green sand beach there. It's a tough hike down, but it exists. The black sand beaches on the way to Hilo are easy to find.

8. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Wow - I didn't know that. Some native I am! :D

9. BillyBoy

We have plans to visit Volcano National Park. I think we'll have to do the walk to the lava flow.

I can see why there would be black sand (from the lava), but what would make green sand?

Thanks for the info, Tyler
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.