Record/CD Stores in South Florida?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by teaser5, Dec 20, 2011.

1. DigitalBlues

DigitalBlues Forum Resident

In Palm Beach country check out Top Five Records in Lake Worth. The owner is very down to earth and sells albums in great condition. I don't even bother inspecting them anymore. If he says mint, it's mint.

steelydanguy and dee like this.
  2. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Last time I was in Delray Beach /Boca area I went in to one of the many pawn shops on Federal. Picked up the coveted 2cd Johnny Rivers anthology on Rhino.
    For 50 cents! (after ripping to HD sold for $50).

At least for CDs, great deals to be found if you are willing to venture into those (seedy) pawn shops.

Adamski777 likes this.
  3. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

love those kinds of scores!

4. Timothy Fiacco

Timothy Fiacco Captain Coconut

Vinyl Request Records at 1244 Sarno Rd, Melbourne, FL 32935 is a great vinyl only shop. The owners name is Chris - a great guy that lets you dig through boxes of treasures he has recently picked up. If you get to them before he does he gives you a decent discount.

dee likes this.
  5. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I’ve been meaning to get over here and post some pictures. I finally made it to Technique Records last month. Mike wasn’t around but the girl working there was very helpful and friendly. Good selection and prices are same as Discogs median for titles, same way he priced at Radio-active. Store is clean and vinyl was well organized. I didn’t have time to look through the CDs. I think they’re still tweaking the layout of the store, from what the girl was telling me. I ended up buying a couple of LPs, Jacob Miller and Gregory Isaacs. There’s parking on the street and a few spots around the back of the store. A good vibe. Hope they do well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. When i lived in Palm Beach, FL from 1999 until 2018, I found a record store still in business called Confusion Records in Lake Park, FL Google Maps
    after i checked that place out, Best Buy got rid of the CD's now Not Target and Walmart which still sells them.

Want any CDs go to a thrift store such as Goodwill or any other thrift store or use eBay or even Amazon if you want online.

I've now based in Port St. Lucie, FL since Aug-Sep 2018

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Bringing this dormant thread back to life to ask for a friend - me! (Aren't we all our own best friends?)

Might be taking a jaunt down to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and would like to do some used CD hunting while there.

What's left that's worth the effort?

8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I live in South Florida but I haven’t been to a physical CD/record store in years—heck, maybe not even in a decade now. Otherwise you know I’d be doing my very best to help you, Colin.

9. Try the local landfills down here. There are probably thousands of CDs getting dumped in there every day. I haven’t been in a music store in over a year, but Orlando was pretty much dried up for CDs. Park Ave CDs and Rock and Roll Heaven still had some selection the last time I was there, but who knows now? Antique stores might be an idea as well. Renningers up in Mt. Dora had some the last time I was there. No idea about Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I haven’t been in Ft. Lauderdale in decades, but if the huge flea markets are still around there are probably some bargains to be had.

11. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

I live in South Florida don’t go into any record store down here looking for compact discs less than $3 each that is as cheap as they get.

12. Oatsdad

Thanks for the posts?

Really looking for the names of any decent stores that might exist in South FL.

Or if there are none, that'd be helpful too!

13. Monosterio

You can try The Record Rack in Pompano Beach. I’ve never been there, but the online reviews look good.

Another is Radio Active Records in Ft. Lauderdale. Again, never been there—and here the reviews don’t look as good.

Forget Miami, this place is a ghost town for records and CDs. Also, there’s more of a chance we might run into each other—and I’ve seen your Facebook pic.

14. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

Miami has a TON of record stores now to the point that I feel like its becoming oversaturated. I went to a new store a few months back (don't actually know when they opened) and I was really impressed by their collection. Prices seemed pretty good too compared to Technique. I've been itching to go back for awhile.

15. Monosterio

Do you have any store names besides Technique?

black sheriff likes this.
  16. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

CD Trader is leaving at the end of the month. 75% off now
    CD Trader

mur likes this.
  17. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

I was recently in S Florida for vacation and did some CD shopping (no vinyl) while there. As is the case just about everywhere, most stores emphasized vinyl, but I did have some CD success…

Radio-Active Records in Ft Lauderdale - Good selection, well organized and most CDs are a flat $5. My only gripe is that the CDs are displayed like vinyl, instead of with the spines facing out. This makes browsing a lengthy and cumbersome process.

We Got the Beats - There are two locations in S Fl - one in Oakland Park and the other in Lauderhill. The Lauderhill location is by far the larger of the two. There is some general organization, but there’s also random milk crates full of CDs on the floor. There’s sections of CDs throughout the store, so you need to look around carefully if you want to see everything they have. Unpriced CD’s are $3 and I’d guess that at least half fall into this category. The ones that were priced were usually in the $6-10 range. The Lauderhill store had by far the most number of CDs of all the stores I visited.

Big Apple Books in Ft Lauderdale - A hidden gem, IMHO. For a bookstore, the CD selection was surprisingly large and well organized. The owners were very helpful and all CDs are a flat $2.50.

Yesterday and Today Records in Miami - My pre-visit research indicated that the Miami area stores were almost all overwhelmingly - if not exclusively - vinyl. Yesterday and Today turned out to be no exception. There was probably around 500-600 CDs for sale and most were priced at $7-8. This is the only store that I wouldn’t go back to of all the ones I visited due to the small cd inventory. If you’re looking for vinyl, however, this store had a large and well organized inventory.

Confusion Records in Lake Park - I don’t think words can adequately describe the experience of shopping for CDs here. I’ll have to post a couple pictures I took when I get home. This is definitely a “throw back” old school record store run by a single Jerry Garcia-esque gentleman who wore no shoes. The store is dark and dusty and there are piles of stuff everywhere. Be prepared to dig and know that you will get dust on your hands and clothes. Having said all that, I had a great conversation with the very knowledgeable owner about bass players - Stanley Clarke vs Jaco Pastorius vs Jack Bruce - while I was browsing, and I did unearth some gems, albeit with considerable effort. Pricing-wise, it’s a “the more you buy, the more you save” model. Nothing is pre-priced, and its $8 for one CD, two for $15, etc. I ended up averaging $6 each for my purchase.

Jack_Straw, jfeldt, dee and 1 other person like this.
  18. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I went to Confusion Records when he was at Confusion Corner in Stuart Florida in the 80's. It was a mess. The Stuart flea market at the south end of town was great. I remember people fighting over Cabbage Patch Dolls and Beanies. They had to call the Martin County Sheriff's Department to stop the fighting. Like most fleas, it has imploded. Pawn shops are sleazy. Miami was a joke for stores even in the 80's. Craig and Steve's in WPB was pretty good, long gone.

19. dee

dee Senior Member

A year and a half late. Sorry.

Easy answers are
    1.Radio Active Records, more for vinyl, but good for cd's also.
    2.We Got The Beats Too and We Got The Beats.
    3.Record Rack also for vinyl.
    4.Big Apple Books is a good little find as mentioned.
    3 of the 4 locations are within about 15 to 20 minutes drive and that's likely even with heavy traffic.
    30 minutes for 4 of the 5.

Daddy-O4, Oatsdad and black sheriff like this.
  20. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

As promised.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jfeldt and black sheriff like this.
  21. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Still a mess like Stuart.

22. Oatsdad

I had to cancel my spring 2021 FL trip anyway so it's fine! :D

dee likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Gah, places like that drive me nuts.

I can't take the physical pain that comes with trying to inspect all the CDs in stores that messy. Too uncomfortable to have to bend and squat, etc.

But then I hate that I have to skip large #s of CDs since I might be missing out on good stuff! :help:

dlemaudit, Daddy-O4 and Tjazz like this.
  24. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

It’s quite a qundry

jfeldt likes this.
  25. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Rows of clunkers. Looks like a Goodwill.