Record Cleaner fluids, recommended one and best place to buy?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Romerovm, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi folks,

I have used the Audio Intelligent Premium Record Cleaner No 15 for a while now. It was the best around when I ordered it according to the research I did at the time. So I need help with two questions:

Is it still the one to get or is there a newer better one? Also best place to order. It seems like these fluids continue to increase in price and I'd like to get the best possible deal.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  2. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of "The Disc Doctor's Miracle Record Cleaner" and I buy it from acousticsounds.com

I've used it for years and I am very happy with the results.

mreeter and Romerovm like this.
  3. Romerovm

Is this recommended to use with a VPI 16.5 RCM? I am sorry I left that out. Not sure if it makes any difference.

4. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I have had much success making DIY fluid consisting of distilled water, 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, and a little Kodak Photo-Flo. Works great with a Nitty Gritty :righton:

Way cheaper too!

5. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Yes, it is. Many of us use/used that combo. The cleaning is independent (and more important!) than your preferred drying method. The DD brushes and cleaner work very well.

Romerovm likes this.
  6. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Audio Intelligent #15 followed by a ultra pure water rinse is going to be hard to beat, in my experience.

I use that combo and a VPI Typhoon to clean my best records.

You probably know that AI sells a three step fluid combo, as well.

7. Romerovm

The AI and water is exactly what I do now.

I am aware of the VPI Typhoon, but I have never tried it. So, do you recommend the combo, or just the AI followed by water (I use distilled water by the way).

Also where is the best to buy AI?

Thanks!

8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Me too, been using that combo and toying with the various amounts of alcohol and wetting agent for years.

Romerovm likes this.
  9. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I'm not sure if the VPI Typhoon actually gets the records any cleaner than their other models. I bought it because it runs quiet, works fast and is more robust than the less expensive record cleaning machines (and it was a good deal).

I think the Audio Intelligent fluid itself is the secret to success. I conveniently buy it from my local hifi shop, or sometimes mail order from Jim Pendleton at Osage Audio. I have not aggressively tried to seek out the lowest possible price, so it's difficult to advise where to go for the best price.

Romerovm likes this.
  10. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I use the AI 3 step with my 16.5 and an very happy with it. I usually buy it from Elusive Disc, but Osage Audio runs specials that include free brushes from time to time.

Romerovm and TLMusic like this.
  11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I like AIVS cleaning solutions which I buy from Osage Audio. Excellent customer service too.

FLEMKE, Romerovm and TLMusic like this.
  12. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Romerovm and hi_watt like this.
  13. Romerovm

Yeah, I haven't been able to find the 32 ounces bottle for less than $42 plus shipping. If anyone reading this knows of a better deal please share. :)

Thanks for all of the comments! I appreciate the help.

14. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I'm using Nitty Gritty Pure2 routinely with a first wash with their enzyme cleaner for the dirtier records. Recently began using MoFi brushes, which seem to do a better job than the NG brush. I get good results but have wondered from now and then if a more intensive regimen with different cleaners would be significantly better. My NittyGritty machine is fully manual, which makes me reluctant to spend a lot of time with multi-step processes.

Romerovm and CCrider92 like this.
  15. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

L'Art du Son in the U.K. - don't have the luxury of being able to try/compare with AI products.

David Ellis and Romerovm like this.
  16. Dragonwell

Dragonwell Forum Resident

My regimen is : 1st pass with distilled water to remove dust/dirt. Then I use the VPI cleaner concentrate mixed up with ~75% distilled water and 25% isopropryl alcohol as a first pass. Rinse with distilled. Then I use L'Art du Son as a second cleaner and let it sit on the record for up to 3 minutes or so. Final rinse with distilled, zap with Zerostat and into a new plastic lined sleeve.

I like the VPI and L'Art du Son because they come as concentrates.

Romerovm likes this.
  17. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Any words of wisdom, where do you get 99.9% iso alcohol, Kodak Photo-Flo, and the percentages used? Im going to go DIY with record cleaning solution...thanks in advance for any input..

18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

My dilution is like 15% - 20% alcohol and just a tiny fractional percentage of the surfactant. I think you can still order Photo-Flo from online photo suppliers, no? (and there may well be other, better options for surfactant/detergent. The LOC uses Tergitol). 99% isopropyl alcohol should be available at some pharmacies. You can also order it from the likes of Amazon too I think.

theron d likes this.
  19. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Why do you need isopropyl alcohol? I just use Everclear from the local liquor store.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Then when you're done you can have an Everclear and tonic???

SandAndGlass, johnny q and utahusker like this.
  21. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Everclear is Ethly alcohol, not Isopropyl alcohol.

22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I really like my Spin Clean. It works better than any other method I have tried. I have never been able to afford a VPI.

23. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Yes, I know that.

24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I guess you could use one or the other. Something like 13 states don't sell Everclear. I don't drink so I don't have any other use for Everclear. At most the 190-proof Everclear is only 95% pure, vs. the 99% isopropyl I use. And I don't know what Everclear costs but isopropyl's cheap, and it's not like 99 percent isopropyl is hard to find. Just a few reasons I can imagine someone thinking, why use ethyl alcohol when I can use isopropyl.

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I 've been using Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Super Deep Cleaner for many years now with excellent results.
    But recently I made my own fluid by using purified water and a drop of dawn disc soap and I realized that it is as good as the MoFi fluid for cheaper.
    I would advise against alcohol as I have found that it has a nasty sonic signature making the the LPs sounding brittle. IMO of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.