Record Cleaner fluids, recommended one and best place to buy?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Romerovm, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

In your estimate how much of the dawn dish soap versus purified water? (1 drop per gallon? liter?)

Also I see there is a Dawn dish soap that is called Pure Essentials that does not have extra ingredients...(at least thats what they claim).

http://www.dawn-dish.com/us/dawn/product/037000222040

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I used the bottle from MFSL Super Deep Cleaner which is 16oz and I put one small drop of Dawn (the original scent blue). So the analogy I guess would be 1 drop/16oz.
    You don't want to overdo it.
    Basically the Dawn functions only as a wetting agent or a surface tension reducer in order for the water to reach deep into the grooves. Just one small drop is enough for this. The water is what is doing most of the work.

It is also important to make sure that your fluid does not create a foam when you clean the record.
    If it foams you have used too many drops and the fluid is difficult to remove and it often leaves a residue on the record.

3. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

thanks for your input. I will try 1 drop of the Dawn (Pure Essentials) per 16oz of distilled water. Then after that wash again (or x2) with just distilled. Sounds like a plan!

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Good luck!
    I forgot to mention that I do one pass with distilled water, then I use the solution, and then I wash again with distilled water for the final rinse.

theron d likes this.
  5. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

One formula that was recommended by a local store that cleans tons of records is as follows:

5 parts distilled water
    1 part Isoporpyl 99% pure
    5 to 6 trigger pulls of Resolve Carpet Cleaner
    5 to 10 drops kodak photoflow

This was used to make 1/2 gallon of solution

YMMV

6. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I use this vac as well but the last time I was at a flea market I found a cheap belt table for $10.....stripped the arm off and now use it to spin during the application of the fluids/scrub. The hole left behind by the removed arm serves well as a spot for the bottle of cleaner. Just ran out of Pure 2 so I tried the free sample of Mint solution that was recommended here somewhere....pretty good results thus far. 14.5 oz for $13.....nice price. Their application brush works well too. I usually let is soak for about 5 minutes after a light application and then scrub for several rotations. The off to the vac. Flip and repeat. I use one of the this cork planter mats from Home Depot to ensure a clean surface when doing the other side. Saves me much hassle turning the little wooden disc by hand!

Gardo likes this.
  7. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

I use 4 parts IPA (99% ordered from CVS) 1 part distilled water and a few drops of Jet Dry.
    400ml IPA
    100ml Distilled Water
    2-3 drops Jet Dry.

Over at London Jazz Collector , there is a good article on this subject, and not to use Kodak Photo Flo, Ilford Ilfotol is preferred. But, Jet Dry works as well for a wetting agent.

8. During American Prohibition people were drinking alcohol, and not the Everclear type. So the govenment in its wisdom added a distatesful chemical to stop people from drinking it. It didn't work, the dirnking of isopropyl resulted in severe brain damage, and the drinks based on isopropyl were called "smokes" I'd never consider drinking Everclear straight, BUT when I owned my cruising sailboat, at year's end we'd mix Everclear with water and put it in our water drains to prevent freezing. Then, come spring, drain the stuff and mix with orange juice. Not too tasty, but cheaper than Smirnoff vodka and for a party got the job done

9. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Athalwolf likes this.
  10. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Bought some 91% IPA at Walgreens and mixed it 1:4 with distilled water into a small 8 oz container. Added one small drop of Dawn and shook it all up.

Without the dawn I couldn't get a good spread across the record, the Dawn does the trick as a wetting agent very well.

I dunno if this is safe but it cleans my records a hell of a lot better than the Pure 2 from Nitty Gritty.

Sailfree likes this.
  11. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

Yup! My recipe is to take a gallon of distilled water, pour about a third of it out into a spotlessly clean container. Then pour not into the container, but back into the gallon jug, 1 pint of as high of content above 90% isopropyl alcohol as you can find, a few drops of brown-bottle Lysol (it's getting hard to find) and 40 drops of Kodak Photo-Flo. (Also getting hard to find but a bottle is nearly a lifetime supply). Fill any remaining airspace with the distilled water from the spotlessly clean container, shake and use.

12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I just use the Spin Clean

13. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I roll my own using the same ingredients. 3 parts distilled water, 1part 99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol, and 4 drops of Kodak Photoflo to make 500ml of solution. Works great!

14. Thrakintosh

Thrakintosh Well-Known Member

Hopefully I'm not reviving too old a thread here...

Just bought an Okki Nokki ("upgrading" from a Spinclean) and I'm looking for fluid recommendations. If I'm buying a lot of old vinyl do I still need an enzyme based solution before the DIY 75/25/PhotoFlow solution or will the DIY handle the deep cleaning required for my "old moldies"?

15. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I use the Okki Nokki with L´art Du Son and finish of with purified water with few drops of Okki fluid in it (to break the surface tension). The art du son last like forever. The bottle you buy is concentrate which you mix with purified water.

Then two different brushes for each fluid and then in to MFSL inner sleeves. I get an awesome result with this :)

16. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Nitty Gritty Pure 2 ordered from NG and used on a NB manual RCM

17. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

the Disc doctor or L'Art Du Son best two i,ve used

18. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

This is nearly my DIY formula the only thing I do different is add ¼ cup of Lysol multi surface cleaner and no Photo-flo. I fill my spin-clean up with it and bath every record then take it wet to a Kab EV-1 (poor mans RCM) vacuum each side and rinse and vacuum each side again.

19. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I use l'Art du Son came with my Loricraft, it works. Used lots of different types with my Nitty Gritty can't see me changing now.

20. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=79003

Dollar store:

1 plastic spray bottle
    1 all-in-one shampoo/conditioner
    pack of microfiber cloths

Fill bottle with tap water 3/4 full and add 1/4 shampoo/conditioner and just a touch of isopropyl alcohol. Shake well. Two light sprays on Lp. Work lather in circular motion with microfiber cloth and press firmly. Use second new cloth and and work the same motion from center outwards. Let dry.

First play usually accumulates some gunk and debris on stylus. I blow it off or brush it out.

If doubtful, listen to a thrift store Lp in acceptable condition first. Pay a lot of attention. Play it again after cleaning. It'll sound like a MoFi release and repel dust.

Good luck. :)

21. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident

Second the home brew.
    The container that record cleaning fluid comes in costs the marketer way more than what's inside.

co

22. Addison

Addison Active Member

I recall hearing some negative things about the D4+ liquid, but I think it works quite well.

23. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

I use the VPI concentrate..makes a gallon of fluid. Very economical ($25) and excellent results with my VPI 16.5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.