Record Cleaning Machine from SqueakyCleanVinyl

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dominguez, Oct 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dominguez

dominguez Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Someone on the forum bought one of these & did a little review. They liked theirs.

Looks very nice for the price!

bajaed likes this.
  3. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

Love mine. no complaints. works as advertised. cant go wrong. for the $$ its a great option.

TheeGory likes this.
  4. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

This arrives today and I couldn't be more excited! Will report back.

Johnny Wong, 33na3rd and Jasonb like this.
  5. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

So have you got it yet? Curious how it has worked out. Im looking to get one myself.

6. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Lol! Lucky me for ordering it NYE. Canada Post had it still "in transit" so it'll most likely be next week. No biggie. I was just really excited to clean a lot of Boxing Day vinyl purchases.

7. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

8. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

Mine is arriving Tuesday. Very excited for this.

TheeGory likes this.
  9. Alfredo Jahn

Alfredo Jahn Forum Resident

I'm thinking of saving money and just getting the vacuum wand. Does anyone know what kind of paint brush the guy in the video was using? I would like to get one to apply the liquid to my album.

10. William_Howard_Taft

William_Howard_Taft Well-Known Member

If you do, please post how it works. I too am looking at the attachment, but I am skeptical of its usefulness.

11. theodore paul

theodore paul New Member

I bought one of these last summer. You need to buy additional parts to complete the unit. Including the small shop van I bought it cost me just over $100 USD. I had to cut, drill and paint to complete the unit but it takes no great skill. I have a large collection of vinyl and for the money you cannot beat this setup. It basically does what every other vacuum cleaning machine does, suck the cleaning fluids off the surface of the record. This it does very well. It is a very manual unit but that is what you get for $100.
    I am not sure that just buying the wand attachment will work as well. You really need to have the wand mounted over the turntable in a way that controls the suction and fluid removal. The key to this unit is the adjustable "valve" piece that enables you to control the level of vacuum at the wand head. This way you can control the vacuum suction from any sized shop vac you use.
    I can really recommend this unit.

If you really want to go DIY use the London Jazz Collector cleaning fluid recipe found here:

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/for-audiophiles/home-brew-cleaner-for-vacuum-rcms/

TheeGory likes this.
  12. Alfredo Jahn

Alfredo Jahn Forum Resident

TheeGory likes this.
  13. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

I have to post a small update on this machine here.

Last night I got home from work and the RCM was waiting on the door step. A day early!!! I was super excited and opened the package. Everything was packed nicely in bubble wrap.

The platter is nice and heavy and spins easily. Several small pieces were included that I was not initially certain what they did so I put those aside. A record cleaning brush was included. It appears to be the same one in the video and a sticker was on it that said he is working on the as a prototype and included one so he could get opinions on it.

I don't have a shop vac yet, as I was intending to buy one today, so I called my dad and went over and picked his shop vac up to give this thing a whirl. Got home and assembled the RCM. Seriously so easy, but then a problem arose.

I realized that there should have only been 3 Small pieces included. A 45 adapter, a 10" adapter, and a ring hold the 45. I had 4 pieces b/c the 45 adapter split in two during shipping. Bummer. But not a huge deal.

I tried to fire it up and then realized something else wasn't right. I looked over my RCM and everything appeared OK but I couldn't figure out why the machine wasn't really sucking. I pulled up the youtube video and watched it in action and then realized the top portion of my wand was missing the valve that lets you choose how much suction to apply. So my wand was completely open at the top.

I emailed Nick and let him know about the 2 issues and within 10 minutes I had a reply with him apologizing and letting me know he would immediately send out the top portion of the wand and a new 45 adapter. End of story right? NOPE!

5 minutes later I get a second email. Nick sent a picture to show that it was being shipped and then also said he was going to include another matt, record cleaning brush, an entire new wand instead of just the top portion, a new 45 adapter, and a new ring to attach the 45. I should mention here, that I realized the ring that attaches the 45 to the platter fits atop the wand where the portion I was missing is at. I mentioned to nick that it looked like I could possible put that ontop and attach a bolt to make the RCM functional and asked his opinion on that. He agreed that should work.

So... I haven't been able to use the RCM yet, buuuuuuuut I can't recommend Nick enough. He was able to help me find a work around that should get my RCM up and running today, but instead of leaving it at that he is providing me an entire new wand and replacement parts for the original RCM.

Had to share the great customer service. I'll post again after getting this thing going!

Rupe33 and TheeGory like this.
  14. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

That sounds great. Looking forward to your review on how it cleans your vinyl for you.:)

15. LeeDempsey

LeeDempsey Forum Resident

I bought one during the holidays, and had it in about 4 days with Canadian Post. Nick's communication was fantastic. I haven't tried it yet because I'm trying to find an an ultra-quiet 1- or 2- gallon shop vac that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I have a 5-gallon one, but it sounds like a jet plane taking off when it's running. Come to think of it, I think my wife has a Bissell Mini-Green carpet shampooer that might work if I can find the right hose attachment...

Lee

16. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I got one of these. It has great suction for a small vac.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-1...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

17. LeeDempsey

LeeDempsey Forum Resident

I've seen that Stanley on Walmart's website. Looks to be the perfect size. How loud is it?

18. toddrhodes

I have the same one. Loud, but not offensive. With that said, I still don't run it after the wife and kid go to sleep. I say that as I (generally) have Metallica or Zeppelin screaming in the room directly under them. The shop-vac is the least of the trouble, lol.

TheeGory likes this.
  19. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

I picked up the Squeaky Clean Vinyl MK111 about a month ago and have cleaned roughly 25 albums with it.
    Simply put, I love it. I had three albums which I kind of cherished but couldn't listen to anymore. Deep Purple In Rock had so much surface noise and I gave it a go with the RCM and it slightly improved but not enough for my liking...I think it was just too messed up. Next up, an original copy of Disraeli Gears by Cream. It was a total mess and I took it through the cleaning and I had the biggest smile on my face. Near perfection. Next up, Robin Trower's Misty Days. One side had skips all over it. The MK111 again cleaned it to perfection almost. The remaining albums done were all improved by the cleaning. And, I actually have fun with it and um, maybe a beer or two.
    As for the shop vac....I got one here in Canada from Lowes I got this 2.5 gallon/2.5 HP mini shop vac for half price at the time....$22 ...
    https://www.lowes.ca/shop-vacuums/s...-wetdry-vac_g1840293.html?searchTerm=shop-vac
    It works great but even with this vac I use ear protection as I want to be able to hear my Motorhead albums properly! :D

kronning and TheeGory like this.
  20. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Mine just came in today. I also see that my Ilfotol is also out for delivery. Once I get that and make my recipe solution and clean some records i will give a review of it on here.

There is a store in NF Ontario that has a VPI 16.5 that you can use at $1 per record. I have done about 100 records on it so I will be comparing my experience with the VPI to the SqueakyClean and report my findings here.

TheeGory likes this.
  21. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Now THIS will be interesting! Thanks, mine came Jan 3rd (all intact and perfect!) Nick has been so fast and helpful with responses and suggestions that I want to make sure I do a proper session before commenting. Right now it's been good but I'm using my cheapnacratched up records to test it out before I'm comfortable using more valuable wax.

22. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Hey I have a 2.5 HP shop vac as well. What setting do you use on the wand? I'm afraid it's way too powerful for these records!

23. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

I generally have it turned to around 50-60% full power. At first I had it on full power and when I lifted the wand up (while leaving the shopvac on) in order to turn the record over, the vinyl would lift off the metal base. So, just kept experimenting which is a great feature because I believe the previous version of this RCM had no option with this regard.
    Cheers

TheeGory likes this.
  24. toddrhodes

I use mine on full power, but don't recall if the little WalMart Stanley is a 2.5 horse.

I decided to look inside the Stanley the other night. The only thing it's ever been used for is to suck water and cleaning agent off vinyl. The effectiveness of this RCM is very easily understood by just looking at the water. It's far from clean.

Just tonight I took a copy of LZ IV that my FIL let me borrow and cleaned it up. This thing was so dirty I wouldn't let it near my stylus and almost forgot about it. But I remembered it last night and decided to clean it up tonight. Now I can't speak to how it was before, but I can say that it's actually a pretty decent pressing and SQ after cleaning. Might see if he'll let me keep it long-term :)

25. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Perfec
    Perfectt, will try. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.