Record Cleaning Machine from SqueakyCleanVinyl

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dominguez, Oct 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I go max suction with the shop vac. And it sucks hard. If it picks up the record if you let it, that's good! Just needs the smallest of downward pressure and it's smooth sailing.

2. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Doesn't that run the risk of warped records? Or scratched surfaces?

I'm also curious if anyone can tell me how much pressure they apply to the vinyl with the cleaning brush.

Also how long do you let the solution settle? Using 3 parts distillers water / 1 part 99.9 pure isopropyl and a drop of dawn liquid. The video says about 30 seconds. Should it be longer? Or not leave it at all?

Thanks so much in advance :)

3. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

I douse the vinyl and immediately grab the cleaning applicator....I at first was hesitant with it and gently put pressure but came to the resolution that my end sound improvement was better when I added more pressure and I rotated it one way and the other....I really don't think there is an exact science about this but more of an experiment on our own.
    In the end, you can always re-clean the product a different way to see if the "different way" made any improvements over your previous clean.
    But, then again, what do I know, I am only a baby that has taken up the bad habit of smoking!

Good Luck with it!
    Cheers

TheeGory likes this.
  4. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident

Can anyone compare this to the Record Doctor? I just bought the Record Doctor but haven't opened the box...if this is better, I'd rather get this!

5. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I built my own RCM years ago & it's invaluable - similar principle but a bit ugly looking.

I also apply steam throughout the cleaning process but only during rotation and without stopping over any spot on the LP. Scary looking at first - the LP turns into a shallow fruit bowl but returns to flat almost immediately as it cools (or exactly as it was before so a slight warp remains if it was there originally). Never damaged or warped one in +8 years/about 4000 LPs. It really loosens & removes every piece of crud & steaming with distilled water to final rinse basically double-distills it. I know someone who has steam cleaned like this for nearly 20 years and every LP he plays is still as good as when he started so I am not aware of any long term damage as long as it's done carefully.

Originally my RCM was motor driven (switch-reversible) but I much prefer the flexibility & speed of manual rotation, just like Nicks' machine. You Canadians are lucky guys and he deserves every success with this. I suggest everyone there who is seriously into vinyl gets one!

TheeGory likes this.
  6. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Just ordered a mk31II and a Zerostat holster from Nick, looking forward to cleaning some vinyl. If someone can recomed me a good source for squeeze bottles for the wash and rinse cycles I would appreciate it.

I think for my home brew cleaning fluid I'm going to use the 80% distilled water 20%isopropyl alcohol with a couple of drops of dawn dish soap original dawn. I was told to use a couple of 3 Inch soft paint brushes to apply the solution and rinse any good suggestions on which paint brushes to use.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

:yikes:

Further, Rolltide and TheeGory like this.
  8. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I ordered 2 clear condement bottles
    from Wal-Mart. They were only $2 for the pair.

9. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Thanks I will look at Walmart or target tommorow for condement bottles, I'm also going to order 2 ea goat hair brushes from Audio Advisor.

10. Kevin O'Leary

Kevin O'Leary Active Member

I just upgraded from a spin clean and love it. I can't say it's way better in cleaning because I haven't used it enough. When I can say is I really like it and I would definitely recommend it.

11. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

I would go with glass for tHe cleaning bottles. I found plastic tends to leach into the solution. At least, that was my experience with having it sit too long.

As for the homemade soliton. Google the London jazz collector home recipe. It's really cheap and much safer IMO.

Enjoy, man! I have MKIII and it's great.

12. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Strange as i have never had problems with the plastic leaching into the soloution. The bottles from Wal-mart at least dont as they are a food grade type plastic. Also the bottles that the distilled water, alcohol and Ilfotol came out of were plastic as well. So I'm pretty sure the plastic that I recommend is safe.

TheeGory likes this.
  13. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

I guess then, I should have stated to use good quality bottles :)

I've been well served with leaving the solution in a glass jar. Using the glass ramekins to hold the solution when cleaning as well as using an oral syringe to disperse the liquid on the vinyl. The 2.5 ml he recommends is SPOT-ON! Covers the surface just enough.

14. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

I should also ask if anyone has had any issues with the shop vac lifting the vinyl up. It deals me out and I'm using a really low hp vac. Will this warp the vinyl? Anyone care to weigh in?

15. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

My low hp vac lifts the vinyl up but no worries of warping at all. The amount that it lifts up is so small for such a small amount of time there is no problem with this. You could if you want adjust the screw on the wand for the amount of suction if you like depending on how strong your vacuum is.

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That is a key feature.

17. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

From what I'm seeing, the brushes on the wand are the closed loop part of a velcro kit? No worries about scratching the vinyl?

Also, would a big Rigid vac bee too powerful?

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  18. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Yup no problems with the closed loop. I have never had a scratch or any famage at all. Works a treat.

Im sure the rigid vac would work, you will have to open the screw up I would imagine.

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  19. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

I have had Nick's latest creation for about 3 months now.
    I love it and Nick's customer service is exemplary!!

Went with a custom red -

[​IMG]

patient_ot likes this.
  20. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Thanks a million, guys! I have taken all suggestions straight from Nick, previously. Even bough the lowest HP powered vac for this. Messed with the screws etc. Still a lift. I haven't heard/seen any evidence in terms of warps so I'll assume it's ok :).

21. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

I grabbed one of these and it has rescued 2 LPs already that we’re crackle fests.

One thing I found after 2 weeks of using it was I was getting a build up of static after vacuuming, so I do the rinse cycle in the Spin Clean I had before. Absolutely perfect and gets rid of the static. There’s no gunk in the Spin Clean.

I still need to refine my technique and but there’s an improvement on records cleaned on the Spin Clean before I bought this so this is money well spent.

Also, Nick replied to queries within minutes after I received it, and I like that personal touch. Highly recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.