Record Cleaning Machines -I am now a believer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mike catucci, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Low budget Spin Clean guy here and am amazed. Thought it was nuts, but am very satisfied. Only used their solution, drying cloths and it works.

nosliw, H8SLKC, ss nimrod and 2 others like this.
  2. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

A Spin Clean is great for what it is. I just got a 2nd one when the Classic Edition went on sale for $49. I use it as my rinse cycle.

I believe those who say that some kind of vacuum system is a step up from the SC. But a Spin Clean is a great step up from those brushes that just jam the dust & dirt into the grooves, IMO. I've certainly been happy with mine.

3. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

5 year KAB EV-1 user here, it makes a huge difference with old records. I don't clean new ones unless there's a problem.

I just picked up a bottle of Phoenix cleaning fluid and it did a nice job of quieting a 35 year old copy of Aja.

mike catucci likes this.
  4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Absolutely!! ....... I'm still quite amazed at the difference in sound b/t an album cleaned in an Ultrasonic versus standard cleaning.

5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

As mentioned above Todd The Vinyl Junkie's fluid is by far the best I've tried. Economical too- their $49 concentrate makes 1-2 gallons of cleaner depending on if is mixed regular or extra strength. I've tried both and think I like the extra strength just a bit more. Even regular strength was better than AIVS #6 which I thought was pretty good until I tried the TTVJ fluid. I still have a bunch of #6 to use up, but I keep reaching for the Vinyl Zyme.

6. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I use a spin clean and then the Nitty Gritty 1.0 with my own homemade concoction of fluid and it makes my records look like new. I keep the record wet after the spin clean and leave it unvacuumed for a few minutes waiting for the crud to soften up and then vacuum up. What I like about the spin clean is the amount of washer fluid it immerses the record in and like washing dishes, that helps a lot.

I also have a fancy shmantzy ultra sonic cleaner that I use often.

Since I have been cleaning my records for many years and only play washed records I can't say if it reduces noise but it makes ME feel good. Even using my ultra sonic cleaner will not make bad noisy pressing sound better such as an original Willy & the Poor Boys pressing I have - no scratches at all just noisy as hell.

HiFi Guy and Bill Why Man like this.
  7. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I do something similar but in reverse. I use MoFi Pure Enzyme as a soak to loosen things. Vacuum. Spin Clean. Lots more junk comes out . Immediate vacuum. Then I put it in a fresh sleeve. All of this is done on my KAB EV-1.

The record is vacuumed again on my VPI before play.

8. G E

G E Senior Member

RCMs make a big difference in quality of playback. My records have been well cared for and mostly played on decent equipment.

I was startled by the sound improvement post cleaning. Much quieter background and better detail.

If you like to play records you need an RCM.

Gasman1003 and HiFi Guy like this.
  9. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

A pluck of cottonwool and dishwashing soap. Just rub, rinse, drip off any waterdrops, dry with toiletpaper.

Cottonwool fibers reach the bottom of the grooves, afterwards absolutely clean.
    Toiletpaper or Cleanex immediately sucks any left water before it has the chance to evaporate.

10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

You've not tried a vacuum. It's a night and day difference. Even a run of your albums through a Spin Clean will prove that they are in fact not clean.

mike catucci likes this.
  11. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Congrats! :righton:

I remember exactly what you're describing from when I got my Okki Nokki around five years ago, I since then consider the RCM as an essential integrated part in my sound system.

mike catucci likes this.
  12. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I find that the biggest advantage to my own version of the OP's experience, which I've been having now for about a month with the Record Doctor V, is that albums I thought were bad pressings, turned out to be Very Good pressings. And you know what? I'm much happier knowing that I'm getting the best out of a record and feeling that I don't need to upgrade something unless it's essential.

It's just another step in the endless improvement process. Yet, this one should keep me going for quite awhile as I'm committed to eventually cleaning my entire collection. Using the AI 3-step process and even new albums are worth the cleaning. My Breeders All Nerve sounded fine when I first got it. Experimented on it as the first new LP I tried and I could definitely tell that the dynamics had improved.

The process makes my whole system more revealing!

nosliw, CCrider92 and HiFi Guy like this.
  13. sometimes it takes more than one cleaning to get the most out of the grooves. I've noticed on many occasions after washing/rinse and playback the needle would have gunk built up on it. a second cleaning usually fixes the problem and further removes distortions caused by grime.

nosliw, HiFi Guy and The Revealer like this.
  14. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I have a 25 yr old Record Dr II that stubbornly refuses to die so I can buy a nicer unit such as the ON or VPI 16.5. Now I’m thinking of upgrading to one of the other machines for cleaning and using the Record Dr for rinsing only, after I throw a new set of vacuum strips on it.

CCrider92 and HiFi Guy like this.
  15. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I believe in vacuum.

16. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Me too....:righton:

17. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I upgraded from a Record Doctor to the Okki Nokki MkI. I don't think it cleans better, but I do prefer the process of cleaning with a motorized platter. The other huge improvement is the noise level. The Record Doctor was loud. The Okki Nokki, isn't silent, but you can actually hear a record playing in the background with the vacuum is sucking up fluid. I opted for the Okki Nokki over the VPI because, I've heard they were just as loud as the Record Doctor. I also like that it had a counter clockwise switch, as I cleaned in both directions when I manually turned the records on the Record Doctor.

The only think I would caution about having a platter on an RCM is that if you use too much fluid, it can run off the edge and work it's way to the platter. If this happens I have to vacuum up the platter and redo that side because I've just contaminated it. I don't really buy into the cross contamination from a clean platter. It's probably true, but not anymore than what can be expected when you play the record on your deck. If the fluid gets on the platter, that's a different story, as it will work it's way into the grooves.

clhboa and nosliw like this.
  18. ethansdad

ethansdad Forum Resident

I received a VPI 16.5 from my dad for Christmas several years ago. Didn't see the big deal until I started buying 50s/60s jazz issues from Columbia, Blue Note, etc (finally discovered jazz in my forties!). It's amazing how great these records sound after a thorough cleaning.

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Is the Todd the Vinyl Junkies fluid a one step solution?

20. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Yes it is.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  21. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Glad you like your $500 record cleaning machine; I built my own for under $100. Fun project.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Got my first RCM recently, a VPI 16.5.

Unbelievable improvement in playback! Obviously essential for used records but gives deeper backgrounds/lower noise floor on new vinyl too.

The most impressive is using a VPI on late 70's/80's MOFI Japanese vinyl. Talk about inky black background! MOFI Fleetwood Mac or Dafk Side...incredible after cleaning!

Yes it is a big investment but a vacuum RCM is really essential if you are serious about vinyl.

The Revealer and nosliw like this.
  23. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I have 100+ records collection that I kept from the 70's and 80's and was pleasantly surprised last year when I decided to give it a good clean and some TLC. I remember that I used to handle the records very carefully and always kept them in their sleeves and jackets when not playing but I was still amazed at the amount of grim and dirt that leached from the records to the cleaning solution.

All I did was using a Knosti Disco Antistat cleaning machine - which is very similar to the Spin Clean and the results were very satisfying.

24. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Me too, many years ago & use reverse osmosis water from our own supply.

I also include several before-after passes with a hand held steam cleaner (+ vacuum-off of course). As long as the LP is rotating this never causes a warp, only temporarily when warm & combined with cleaning fluid it dislodges everything from the groove. Only scratches remain & no damaged records after this process.

25. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

With a hundred records, I can understand the budget decisions. I went for Spin Clean for the past year and a half. I have just over 400 records and my collection continues to grow. The Record Doctor V was recently released at $200 and I made it a birthday priority. It's manual and makes plenty of noise. But I can tell you that the difference between vacuum and my spin method is immeasurable. So, if you ever get back to collecting especially used records - I rarely spend more than $5 on single albums these days unless new - you would absolutely feel justified in making the investment.

CCrider92 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.