Record cleaning mishap ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mrtn77, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I've just bought a copy of Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom that's very noisy (crackly, no pops or ticks) throughout.
    Grooves seem fine, but deadwax looks like this :
    [​IMG]

Would I be wrong to think the record's previous owner messed up his cleaning and put gunk all over the record ?
    If that is indeed the case, is the record salvageable ?

2. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

You wouldn't be wrong. It looks like a poor job of cleaning. Find someone with a good record cleaning machine and that record will sound 100 times better when you are done.

Mrtn77 likes this.
  3. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Dried soap residue. Give it a good cleaning.

Mrtn77 likes this.
  4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I actually like finding records like that, as they are usually graded as worse than they really are.

5. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

In my experience I've haven't had good luck cleaning records that are crackly. Tried using Spin Clean, Wood Glue, and vacuum wand.

Good luck to the OP.

6. Use some vinegar on it to remove the spots.

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I'd second the wood glue.

8. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I swear by 91% isopropyl (NOT RUBBING) alcohol as a first wipe with clean cotton pads when I clean really dirty records. Wipes away a significant amount of that gunk (you can see it on the pads), which you can follow up with and enzyme cleaner, distilled water and a wet vacuum. Always works a charm for me. Despite the hysteria by some, I'm a firm believer that 91% isopropyl will not harm your records.

Robin L likes this.
  9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Yep. With a little experience it's easy to see a record that's been subjected to a poor cleaning job and really is in nice condition underneath.

10. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

My vacuum strip on my KAB EV-1 ( Nitty Gritty clone) doesn't vacuum up the deadwax area,
    so when I use too much fluid some of my records look like this in the deadwax,
    BUT the grooves are dead clean !

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I'd recommend a thorough cleaning using Bugtussell Vinylzyme (concentrate in distilled water) followed by a rinse with Distilled Water on a vacuum type RCM. Thereafter, I think cleaning on an Ultrasonic Cleaner (Klaudio or Audiodesk Systeme) would go a long towards restoring the record, unless there are signs of rough/careless handling? Repeat cleaning as necessary.

12. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I had the same issue with my KAB EV-1 with certain cleaning solutions leaving a residue in the dead wax even after a final rinse and spin with water so I would just wipe it off with a microfiber cloth. Haven't had this problem since I switched to Audio Intelligence No 15 cleaning fluid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.