Record Cleaning.. revisited (just got the Disc Doctor brushes) - LONG

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Damián, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just found this old thread and wanted to mention that I have been using the Lysol mix for over a year now and swear by it for cleanliness and sound quality, but I secretly worry about the long term effects, to be honest. But it cleans just about anything off the record. I use it with my Nitty Gritty - sometimes right on the machine's applicators, sometimes with a brush and then I let the unit remove the fluid.

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I've been thinking about getting the DD brushes, but for years, and with very good results I've been using the brushes from those plastic "lint removers". They seem to be the perfect length to get into the grooves, and around my area, they are .99 each. Hard to justify 40 bucks for the DDs.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Plastic "lint remover"?

Describe, please!

I'm getting more into vinyl and, digging thru the Local Vinyl Shoppe, I', getting a wee bit paranoid about those dirty, dusty albums!

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I think Mikey's referring to those lint remover pads that look like velvet but are actually directional brushes. In other words, you can feel the bristles stiffen and "grip" in one direction (which gets lint off of clothes) but not the other. They are usually mounted in a plastic handle, and I think the one I own, I got from a pet store. (Back in our cat-owning days...or, rather, back when a couple of cats owned us. :D )

5. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I was a little skeptical too, until I had the chance to see some. Blew my home made ones right away. The brush surface is unlike anything else. Imagine a combination of felt and velvet, but then make it very very dense bristle wise. The handles are a joy, and completely liquid proof.

This is one product for the serious cleaner. I still use my own brush for pre cleaning of really grubby disks.

6. RetroSmith

Rudy is right on, thats what i use. They seem to do a really great job getting into the grooves.

7. RetroSmith

Rudy, how well did those lint brushes work for you? just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.