Record crate without a bottom (mostly)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiorocks, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Looks like its meant to be positioned on its 'side.' So the bottom is actually the solid (side) board.

polchik likes this.
  3. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

If you're gonna hand build something like that, at least make it tall enough for a box set to fit inside. :oops:

4. audiorocks

@Raunchnroll, I disagree, there are 3 pictures of it on its bottom and 1 picture on its side.

@Combination, my Blonde on Blonde MFSL fits with room to spare.

5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

$55 ?????!!!!!???

At that price, is it too much for the manufacturer to just tack on a small 1.5 inch strip of thin pine; if only just for cosmetic purposes...?

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The link provided show 4 or 5 large photos of an LP crate with solid sides and an open bottom panel - just as you described. Maybe you're referring to a different crate or link?

7. audiorocks

@Raunchnroll it sounds like we're talking about the same thing. I just don't agree that what I call the bottom is actually supposed to be its side.

8. I have a few from shipping engine parts and they are perfect, to sit on their sides or with the open side facing up.

9. audiorocks

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way. Maybe if your record is starting to sag down through its cover then you want the middle section of the bottom of your crate to be missing so it doesn't wear the cover down any more.

10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

You have Got to have the middle of the bottom section for support or in time gravity will very likely split the centre bottom seam of many jackets due to the vinyl weight.

11. audiorocks

I'm going to order a few more of these with a solid bottom panel. Should I get them any wider? My Blonde on Blonde MFSL box fits great but do boxed sets get wider than that?

I'm also reducing the height to 11" so the covers peeeeeek out of the top. The depth is already perfect for my 24" table.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.