Record Doctor V vs Okki Nokki vs VPI 16.5

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Upinsmoke, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ranonranonarat

ranonranonarat Well-Known Member

I picked up a used VPI recently but sold it off after a couple of weeks. Why? To no discredit to VPI, I might have picked up a bit of a beaten up VPI but from impressions, eurekaiv is very accurate with his insights on the VPI.

I would like to add another pro to the VPI, which is the fact that you can pretty much pick up a new motor for the platter or the vacuum system once they've gone ka-put. I don't think there's this option for the ON. Once the ON is dead, I pretty much feel like it's a lost cause. Also, there is a lot more information out there for VPI, which would serve useful should you require troubleshooting.

I've read that the safety mechanicsm on the VPI shuts off the machine if it gets too hot but I've never experienced that even after cleaning close to records straight.

I would buy a VPI again, currently waiting for my dealer to have some in.

2. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

KAB EV-1 vaccum suggestions? models brands please
    KAB EV-1 with a proper vaccum can make LESS noise than the Record Doctor V Record?
    in some way manual working with RCM's have more advantages than automatic work.

3. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

The 16.5 is loud and it does a fine job. The cabinet is MDF but that part stays dry. The entire fluid path is either acrylic or metal of vinyl. I also have a spin clean which is easily also an excellent device but not as convenient.

4. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

As a former owner of a VPI 16.5, I couldn't be more pleased with the Record Doctor. The automatic aspect of the VPI is nice and all, but I much prefer the platterless design of the RDV. Granted, I only clean the occasional record, but it seems totally counterintuitive to place a clean LP side back down on a cork platter that most likely contains dust and/or debris from hundreds or possibly even thousands of dirty records. As for changing out the platter during each cleaning, well, who wants to do all that?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  5. G E

G E Senior Member

I went the DIY route and built a RCM based on VPI technology with additional inspiration from Oki Noki and Moth plus individual ingenuity.

I, too, disliked wafer board construction so I made the deck from half inch T6061 aluminum and box from 3/4 inch plywood.

You can read about it here.

New project - RCM ** Finished at last! ** ยป

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.