Record Doctor Vs VPI and Okki Nokki Record Cleaning Machines

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member Thread Starter

Can anybody tell me if the VPI or Okki Nokki record cleaning machines actually do a better job of cleaning records than the manual machines? I know that the more expensive machines require less physical work but it's the results that matter most to me.

I actually did place an order with a dealer for the VPI nearly two weeks ago but it hasn't even shipped yet. The dealer originally said it would be seven to ten days. Later, he said it would take ten to fourteen days. Frankly, I'm getting fed up with the wait. The Okki Nokki and Project RCMs are also unavailable anywhere. It's harder to buy a record cleaning machine than it was to buy toilet paper at the beginning of the pandemic.

Anyway, I really need a vacuum cleaner for my vinyl. My old machine died and I'm out of cleaning fluid.

2. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I could not tell any difference between the VPI and the Record Doctor as far as cleaning effectiveness. However, once I received the VPI, I immediately realized that having the automatic table allows for faster cleaning and facilitates use of multi-step cleaning methods.

sturgus likes this.
  3. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

Own an RDV (with the KAB bearing), have used a VPI Cyclone quite a bit at the local record shop.

The automatic drive and the same-side vacuuming on the VPI are obvious benefits, and the VPI handles warps better (the RD is hopeless once you get beyond a minor warp; the VPI seems to be okay with more pronounced warps and moderate edge warps - if it'll play, it's probably okay). The full platter on the VPI is also a nice benefit if there's a need to work a small portion of a disc, and is more stable in general. And I've never seen the VPI get hot like the RD will after a few discs.

However, if I'm willing to take a bit of time, I can get the same results on the RD as on the VPI on most discs. So the convenience is about 90% of what the increased cost buys, by my judgement.

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Can't speak for a VPI. I bought the Okki Nokki Gen I to replace a Record Doctor because is was much lower price than VPI. Regardless, it's the fluids and the brush that cleans your records. Vacuuming for the most part is drying by suction. The fluids along with the suspended particles are removed by the vacuum. If your fluid and brush can't suspend the particles into the fluid, it doesn't matter what the vacuum does. You'll just leave particle in the groove. I prefer the Okki Nokki because it's easier and I really didn't care for the brushing onto a cantilevered record or manually turning records. I also like the full size platter. But, I don't think the ON is better than the RD. It's just faster and a better experience. So, try out the RD. It works fine. I would get the KAB GLIDING PLATTER PLUS. The stock bearing isn't that great.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Years ago there was a consumer report type article on RCMs that said they all clean equally well, and it comes down to what bells and whistles you want. I've had my base model manual Record Doctor for nearly 20 years, and it's performed beyond my expectations.

vinylsolution likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Link, please?

I suspect most basic RCMs perform the same but stuff like the Loricraft use a completely different method which may or may not clean better.

Agitater likes this.
  7. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I've no clue! That was many years ago. I remember reading it, and that's why I bought the Record Doctor which at that time was being built for Audio Advisor by Nitty Gritty. I came across the article purely by accident. The gist of the report was that they all clean equally well and what "extras" do you want in the one you would buy. I didn't need any "extras."

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. Bruce Burgess

I've had an earlier version of the Record Doctor for over fifteen years and it did the job, until recently. I've had no experience with the Okki Nokki or VPI. I wanted to try one of those but there seems to be a world wide shortage of them. I understand that the Degritter ultrasonic cleaner is even better but it's away above what I'm willing to spend. Even the VPI seems somewhat extravagant.

9. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

No. Its a vacuum motor in a box either way, you buy for convenience mostly.
    The Okki Nokki ONE is the best unit Ive seen functionality wise though, it takes all the best elements into one.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  10. MarkD51

MarkD51 Audio Maniac

I think the one of the main reasons though that the Okki Nokki went unobtanium was that a couple of production runs were loaded with defects-problems. You will not find any dealer in USA with stock.

Be patient with the wait for the VPI. it will come.

11. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Bought a record Doctor last year- not sure why though- my vinyl collection is mainly new or near mint used. I have a spin clean too which I like and use it to clean every new vinyl record I get.
    I did find out one thing- the Record doctor is pretty much useless in my house in the winter. Produces way too much static electricity. Even just vacuum drying with one spin. If you have a bunch of dirty records it can be useful I think. But a good wet cleaning seems to work better for me with the spin clean.

12. Bruce Burgess

I can't find any in Canada either. As for the VPI, it's been almost three weeks since I placed my order and it hasn't even shipped. If I don't hear anything by the end of the week, I'll be giving my dealer another call. The price of the 16.5 has gone up $200 (Canadian) since I placed my order. I'm better off waiting than cancelling and re-ordering later.

I noticed my dealer now has the Nitty Gritty 1.0 in stock but it is twice the cost of the Record Doctor VI. Is it really that much better?

13. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I've been really happy with the performance of my RD V. There's definitely times I wish I had one of the automatic machines but I couldn't justify the extra cost.

If I ever decide to upgrade from the RD I'll probably go with the Kirmuss ultrasonic cleaner.

14. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I had a record doctor II for many years.My wrist and elbow started getting arthritic. I had the good fortune of obtaining a mint used Okki Nokki at a great price 3 years ago. I am enjoying using it .

15. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I have an early version of the Record Doctor built by Nitty Gritty for Audio Advisor > I paid $300 for it new back in the day. Money well spent; it does the job and has cleaned 1000 LPs so far; never a problem with it. A friend bought the current version several years ago for $200, and he has no regrets either. No bells and whistles on the base model just as the base Nitty Gritty model. Buy the RD and spend what you save on records! By the way, I do use Nitty Gritty Pure II cleaning solution on the RD as well as NG brushes and velvet lips on the vacuum slot.

16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I've looked at various RCMs over the years but none ever made sense as my records are clean already and well maintained with a mostly alcohol spritz and the AT 6012 (formally the Parastat) and possible follow-up with a dry Hunt's brush. Really dirty used records (I've only bought very few over the decades) get a wash in the sink.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  17. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

I've had the Nitty Gritty 1.0 and I now own the VPI 16.5. The NG did a fine job, but it was manual all the way. Much louder than the VPI. I used the NG for about 7 years, until I sourced a used VPI for under $300. Once I got the VPI I never used the Nitty Gritty again. I put it on "thebay" and it sold right away. Unfortunate for me the USPS decided to use it for a football or something. The person who bought it, received it in parts. I refunded his money and learned my lesson. Double boxing is your friend when shipping.

18. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

The only thing negative I can say about the VPI is that it is loud! I wear ear protection when cleaning. Other than that it's built like a tank. I've had mine for like 25+ years and it still sucks.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  19. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I do that too, I should add that.

20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Actually I wouldn’t want a full platter size on an RCM. You just end up contaminating the opposite side of the record you just cleaned?

21. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Love my VPI 16.5. One of the best gear purchases I have ever made. All manufacturers are constrained these days. It is worth the wait.

22. MarkD51

MarkD51 Audio Maniac

That depends on the Platter Mat material. I immediately didn't like the Cork Mat on my VPI 16.5, and replaced it with a neoprene rubber mat on a custom made platter for it. Very easy to wipe clean.

23. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

If you can be a little patient the Okki Nokki ONE is a terrific machine.

No ear defenders needed!:edthumbs:

Full-sized (easy to clean) platter and label-sized platter both included.

It is worth noting that the restricted supply seems to predate the apparently minor QC issues, at least in Europe. It seems now to be in stock in the UK at least, e.g. Okki Nokki ONE Record Cleaning Machine Black

Lots of positive user impressions, including my own, on here.

24. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

For the VPI, pull off the bottom and take a look at the construction.
    If they're still using unfinished particle board you're going to want to pull out the resevoir and paint/seal that area real well or else it'll fall apart on you.

25. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

True, but practically speaking, any disc that's dirty enough to make me think it'll shed on the platter is getting a rinse of some kind to knock most of that off before it goes on the platter. I've never noticed a problem with dirt or debris getting transferred. However...

A rubber mat would be an upgrade I would look into if I owned one of these. On a few occasions, the cork mat has gotten a bit of fluid on it without my noticing. That does transfer to the next side to be placed on it, and it's not easy to get all of that blotted off the cork (or even to see it at first).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.