Record Labels 78: A New Home

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Nostaljack, Dec 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast Thread Starter

The Monument LP is full of moire and I can't get rid of it. FYI.

Ed

2. Nostaljack

The "M"'s are done!

Ed

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The yellow Gordy promo is absolutely atrocious! My eyes!

Nostaljack likes this.
  4. Nostaljack

Agreed. I accidentally uploaded a work-in-progress. My bad. The finished version I intended to upload is there now. It went through a few different incarnations. The label is very very old and I didn't want to make it appear as if it wasn't.

Ed

5. Grant

Therein lies the difference in philosophies. I would try to make it look clean, or find a better copy to work on. That's why some people did reconstructions. Neither approach is wrong, just different philosophies.

6. Nostaljack

I just added a new Music for Pleasure label with a purple gradient. More is coming!

Ed

7. Nostaljack

All the "N"'s are up and I also added some Next Plateau labels. The red and black one is a placeholder. I have a much better one here and I'll do it some time tomorrow.

Ed

8. Nostaljack

The Odeon EMI label was just completed. It was truly awful. It even still had plenty of visible text on it. I cleared all that out and slightly brightened it to make it stand out from the background.

It is not up yet. It might make it up a little later or it'll be up tomorrow afternoon. I just wanted to mention the major alteration before I forgot to do it.

Ed

9. Nostaljack

All "O"s are uploaded.

Ed

10. Nostaljack

As threatened, I've added a brand new Mango promo label and replaced the substandard Next Plateau label that was in the archive.

I also belatedly realized I'd neglected to add the "O"'s to the menu. Now done.

Ed

11. Nostaljack

In case anyone's wondering, I am continuing to work. I'm almost through the "P"'s. I've been trying to streamline my approach by just focusing on one task - editing the labels and making them look good. Once I get to a certain point, I'll start putting them back up again.

Ed

Grant likes this.
  12. Nostaljack

All "P"'s and the Qwest label are done! The new page is "N-Q".

I should note that I added a Philadelphia International white promo LP label to the stash.

Ed

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Grant likes this.
  13. Nostaljack

I just added a new Passport Records / A&M Records of Canada label.

Ed

14. Nostaljack

Funny aside...

Just finished working with the RCA 80's red/black label. As soon as I laid eyes on it, I knew the label was way too red. I pulled back the saturation and all these awful clone spots appeared - more than I'd seen on any other label. Whoever did the label decided to try to hide his work by over-saturating the whole label. In order to salvage it, I grabbed the paint bucket and, in short order, made the label look a thousand times better. I'll note when it goes up. LOL!!

Ed

15. Nostaljack

The aforementioned label has gone up along with the beginning of "R" up through a few of the RCA's.

Ed

16. Grant

:whistle: I must've been going through a bad period. I've done some really nice ones, and some really ****ty ones.

17. Nostaljack

Ah, it was you! LOL!! None of us are perfect. The issue was fixed very easily.

Much respect for copping to it, btw... :)

Ed

18. Grant

I was raised better than most people, I guess. Most people have a pathological inability to admit responsibility or that they are wrong. My parents also had a very high BS detecting capability.

Nostaljack likes this.
  19. Nostaljack

Many years later, all the RCA's are finished...I think. There were a lot of them plus many copies. I took too long a break and lost my place. I think I got them all. If I missed anything, please tell me and I'll make sure it goes up.

Ed

20. Nostaljack

The black "Relativity" label needed serious work. It was full of scan dirt and it was way too light. I cloned all over it to remove the scan dirt. When darkened, the lettering fell apart. I changed the color of the lettering while it was still light, darkened the label, and paint bucket'd the lettering to the correct color.

The label isn't up yet but it'll be up shortly.

Ed

21. Grant

Just a note: those weren't copies. Those were all variations with small differences of the actual labels. I can also see where the clone stamp is visible. I know all this because I am responsible for over half of all those RCA labels in the gallery. I blame the monitor I was using back then. Interesting what a better monitor will let you see.

22. Nostaljack

Please point out which RCAs are missing. There are copies of things there for sure - labels that look exactly like something that's already posted. There isn't even color nuance. I'll look at the clone stamps.

Ed

23. Nostaljack

All Reprise labels and Reader's Digest labels have been added. I also added a new one from my collection.

Ed

24. Nostaljack

There was a bright orange RCA that had visible clone stamps that I removed via paint bucket.

Ed

25. Nostaljack

Just added a new Reprise white label promo 45 from my own collection. I'd added it to SmugMug but it didn't make the save pile.

Ed

Victor/Victrola likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.