Record Player Issue?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monkees Fan, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkees Fan

Monkees Fan Active Member Thread Starter

Hello everybody,

Last night I was enjoying a good weight lifting session and to go along with the work out I decided to give "Truth" by Jeff Beck a spin. But when I got near the end of side two I left my room for a moment to get some more water and when I came back the entire tonearm was as far in as it could go ON THE LABEL MAKING A NASTY NOISE. Anybody know what's going on? Should I be worried about playing records with this stylus?

Thanks,
    Cody

2. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

Did you drop the weights before leaving the room?

troggy likes this.
  3. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Hi! It it an 'auto-return' or semi-auto deck, or neither? I'm trying to just get an idea and picture to see if there is a fault with it. Could be nothing serious. :)

4. Monkees Fan

I could have the name wrong but is a manual one, made by Audio-Technica.

5. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I wouldn't worry about the stylus having been damaged by "playing" the label. The issue is how it got there, which might indicate a problem. Are you confident that the table is set up correctly with respect to tracking force and anti-skating? Those are the things I'd want to double-check.

6. OneStepBeyond

They do indeed make turntables, cartridges and other audio equipment. :)
    Precisely - and if you're uncertain how to do these things, I'm sure we can help out and get to the the bottom of the problem here.

7. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

Once in a great while, I run across a record that will do that also. Could be that the lead out groove leads out too aggressively, slamming the stylus into the inner groove, which it jumps and then skates onto the label. Could be a bit of particulate on the inner groove, causing the stylus to jump out of the groove and skate across the label.

Or, in one documented incident I personally witnessed last summer, a wood tick could have crawled up on to the turntable and crawled across the label and was hit by the stylus as it was in the inner groove, causing it to jump up and skate across the label.

Monkees Fan and OneStepBeyond like this.
  8. Monkees Fan

I have been looking at it, making some changes and making sure everything is playing good, and it is, haven't had this problem since, :) with that being said, I still keep an eye on it just for safety.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  9. OneStepBeyond

Sounds like you may have cracked it - I hope it continues to behave and doesn't arise again... chances are that it won't. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.