Record Shopping-Generation Gap

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fender Relic, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I bought records for 25 years and never had anyone start a conversation with me.

Maybe because I look a bit psychotic, maybe because I’m somewhat inconsistent with my hygiene, but I’ve pretty much been left alone.

2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe it's because you roll up in the parking lot riding a bear without your shirt.

3. Fender Relic

You know what's creepier? Having a conversation from stall to stall when you're taking a dump.:yikes:

I was traveling along I-80 this summer and did a bathroom break and the guy in the next stall was having an Austin Powers who works for #2 moment. I was about to call 911 as it sounded like he was going thru labor.

Grant likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I was in the restroom at work and overheard an employee talking to is poop. No joke.

5. Fender Relic

Was it talking back?

6. Grant

I didn't stick around long enough to know. I wanted to get outta there fast!

Fender Relic likes this.
  7. Fender Relic

Good move....might have been a Men In Brown moment.

ganma likes this.
  8. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

A friend of mine heard Mingus poop at the Vanguard...he said it sounded exactly like you'd think it would.

9. Fender Relic

10. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

When I was a lot younger I shopped with no list because I could remember what I was looking for. Then I got to the age where I brought a written list. I still don't own one of the phones you people are talking about, but it's been numerous times at record shows when I've been going thru crates of records when I stepped on something and it was someone's phone they's lost, and I'd go to the desk run by the show's management so they could try to find the owner.

Fender Relic likes this.
  11. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

People need to learn not to "hover" over someone who got their first. It's rude as hell.

12. Grant

I never take dumps in public restrooms. I wait until I get home, am at a relative's home, at at a motel. I am also very careful about what and when I eat when away from home to avoid the need to dump in a public restroom.

Fender Relic likes this.

13. B flat

Fender Relic and minibreakfast like this.
  14. mitchius

mitchius Forum Resident

Both :(

15. Fender Relic

Wow,you are a man with a plan :agree:.

I can't help it, Barnes & Noble makes me have to poop. I don't get it but when I'm in their stores.....anchors aweigh. Stinks but sh** happens.

Marty T, melstapler and Aftermath like this.
  16. n8great321

n8great321 Well-Known Member

To continue my interstate analogy, I usually just pass them or go to a different section and come back to that one later. I don't appreciate the hover either.

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

When I gotta go, I gotta go.

Aftermath and Fender Relic like this.
  18. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident

It's the journey not the destination, maaaan

19. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I've learned this the hard way, being the creeper that I am. I don't know that it's so much a generation thing. I'm a boomer and saw an guy older in one of my favorite sections at Amoeba, Ventures CDs. He was Asian so I ASSumed he was Japanese as the Ventures were the first of the "big in Japan" groups. I looked at the one CD he had in hand and said, "That's a good one!" He replied politely with a "Yep". Wanting more, I said, "Did you listen to The Ventures when you were in Japan?" His response was about the most perturbed muttering of "yeah" as he quickly got away from this nosey, assuming old white guy. I don't do that anymore. If I want music discussion at the record book, it's a lot easier and more appropriate at the record swap.

20. OhNotHimAgain

OhNotHimAgain Forum Resident

I’m 28 and started collecting at 14, before the smartphone revolution. I’ve shopped with written lists, digital ones, and just for fun. I generally don’t talk to any other shoppers unless they’re weighing a purchase I might have some (positive) input on. No judgement, just recommendations. I agree that looking albums up online is useful to me — especially SH Forum threads on a particular mastering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.