Record Shopping in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Barry Wom, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member Thread Starter

My sister in law is going to Tokyo soon, and I'm asking her to bring some music back for me.

Can anyone recommend where she should go for new and used Vinyl and maybe rare CD's.

And what you ask for if you were in this situation?

thanks
    Tim

2. mambo

mambo New Member

3. Barry Wom

4. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

It depends on what you're looking for, but the Shinjuku and Shibuya districts of Tokyo have a large concentration of collector's CD and vinyl shops.

The Disk Union store near Shinjuku Station east exit a place I go to everytime I'm in Tokyo, as well as Warehouse and Vinyl Parts. For hard to find "import" CDs, there's a store called Beat Collectors full of hundreds of your more unusual Beatles/Led Zepp/Stones/Springsteen/Pink Floyd stuff.

The Disk Union in Shibuya is also good, and there are HMV and Tower Record shops in both districts for new stuff. The big Recofan store in Shibuya is great for your more common 70s/80s titles for what are "bargain" prices in Japan ($10-$15).

Really depends on what you're after, but whatever you're after, be prepared for it to be pricey if it's collectible vinyl.

5. bruckner1

bruckner1 New Member

If I were going to Japan I would pick up those wonderful BMG CDs of Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra which aren't available anywhere else. I've always said, if you want rare recordings by American artists, go to Japan!

6. Barry Wom

thanks for the replies - amongst others I collect copies of Revolver and I think I'm going to give her £50 ($80) to get me a copy on Red Vinyl. I hope that's enough.

I've got all the Matthew Sweet Japanese (see no abbreviation, I'm learning!) CD's (my main passion), and also Jason Falkner, the King of Pop.

Tempted to see if she can find me some nice Pink Floyd vinyl or CD's - she knows nothing about buying music so I need to be quite exact in my requests.

Tim

7. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

Hi,

These are superb places to find (almost) anything you actually want. Some 5 years ago I stayed for 2 weeks in Japan and I was amazed with the number of record stores in Tokyo. Just trying to recall a very central place with lots of small stores (not that big street where the Get Back store is located), close to a subway station, again to my recollection it seemed to be on the other side of where Tower is located. One interesting thing is that you´ll find Byrds in BA, since in Japan they pronounce it like "Bardos"...weird to find Byrds before Beatles. Needless to say that the cds are very expensive, but heck there are things you won´t find in any other place. I´d like to spend another two weeks in Tokyo only for record shopping with tons of money, of course :love:

Regards,
    Helio

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Catalog numbers would help too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.