Record Stabilizer Advice: Herbie's Aluminum Record Stabilizer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by scotty j., Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a Clearaudio Concept and am looking at purchasing Herbie's Aluminum Record Stabilizer

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/ttmat.htm (towards the bottom of the page).

Has anyone had any experience with this product? It's either this or the Clever Clamp in regards to my budget.

Thanks in advance.

2. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I have a Clever Clamp, it works well. The only one I have used, so I guess that doesn't help much.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have never used a $249 accessory, but I have not had good results using a $50 16oz brass weight on any of my turntables. Bass became bloated and too forward, and the sound overall became closed in.

Ghostworld likes this.
  4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I don't know about the stabilizer, but I can vouch for Herbie's Way Excellent Mat, big sonic improvement once I started using it.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The aluminum one is only a $39 accessory. It's their titanium one that $249. Of course you may want to shell out more based on their assessment that "Titanium provides superior dynamics and is more sonically neutral than brass."

Right.

I'd say shell out no more than $39 if you want to make your table look a little cooler for photographs, but not if you want to make it sound better.

Rachael Bee and action pact like this.
  6. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident Thread Starter

To be fair, when I contacted Steve, he suggested the aluminum stabilizer ($39) for my table.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I've heard it suggested that record clamps/weights only work well on platters that are designed for them. I've also heard it suggested that they are not advisable for use on platters without perfectly flat surfaces, ie: no ribbing.

All of my non-suspended tables have ribbed and/or contoured mats (Thorens TD-124, ROK L-34, and Dual 1019/1219), so I got poor results using a weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.