DCC Archive Record Storage & Display

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben

Ben New Member Thread Starter

...as mundane as this topic sounds, I'm having trouble finding a good solution to storing my LP's. Plenty of CD solutions out there...any board members care to weigh in on record racks, cases, shelves, or...whatever?

Thanks in advance and best to the board!

Ben
    :rolleyes:

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Ben,

The dreaded LP storage dilemma... A lot of people at Audio Asylum (in the vinyl asylum section) suggest checking out Ikea products. Do a search at that site for some ideas.

ToddAudio Asylum

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Go into your local "unfinished wood furniture" dealer and look around. I found the perfect solution by buying $40 shelves as "cubbies" that fit vinyl vertically very well. All I did was stain them in the basement, and now they look like a million bucks. you realize whatever you do in this instance, DIY is the best way. ;)

4. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I agree with Sckott here. I got a large unfinished bookshelf that accommodates LPs perfectly for peanuts. It's mighty sturdy and very attractive.

I chose not to stain mine ... I like that light, natural-wood look. It's all about taste ... : )

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Well, after all my repeated posts of NOT being a DIY type of guy, this could be a bit embarrasing.... :)

I built my own record and CD shelves - and stereo stand, too! - from wood bought at Lansing Build-All. Home Depot would have the same stuff.

It was pretty easy. And I designed everything to specifically fit in my listening room.

And the stereo stand - built with 2X4's and 2X10 pieces of wood to enable it to hold all that weight easily- is designed to hold 2 turntables, 2 amps, 2 pre, 1 CD player, 1 cassette deck...

Try it, you'll like it! ;)

6. Sckott

There you have it folks! even Gary the un-DIY guy can do it! :)

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

One of the best methods I've found for storing vinyl LP's are Gorilla Racks. I found them at my local Orchard Supply Hardware. They cost under $50, are easy to assemble, and are very durable. One suggestion, unless you live in a very dry climate, avoid LP storage boxes that are made of compressed particle board or unfinished wood. They absorb moisture very easily and can cause your records to mildew.

8. Ben

Ben New Member Thread Starter

Thanks, everybody! :)

Guess I'm off to Home Depot this weekend! :eek:

Best to the Board and Happy Thanksgiving!

Ben

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ben - one more thought. Definitely consider using screws for a more solid construction! The Home Depot experts can steer you in the right direction, I'm sure!

Have fun! :D

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I went the unfinished furniture route as well. A local dealer had these three-tiered pine cubes for $39. A big hit in childrens bedrooms and dorm rooms the owner told me.
    Much better than particle board, these things won't warp or sag under the weight of vinyl.

11. Mart

Mart New Member

yeah, I had to resort to DIY too since J&R stopped selling those stackable units. At 1st, I boxed my LPs which made room for my LDs. Then, I ran out of those. Right now I'm looking for dividers so as to allow spacing for ease of flipping. I think there used to be a sheet metal office suppy thingy for manila folders maybe that'll do.

12. Sckott

This is exactly what I have. They *are* very popular. A store in town had bought 40 units at $40/each because they use them for displaying sweaters, and right after I grabbed one for myself. Very easy to furnish with some stain and an old t-shirt. I might end up buying 2 more. Yah, they WOULD do great in children's rooms and dorms, for sure.

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.