Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (side 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

2. Chocolate Milk.

image.jpg

3. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Only 28,000 RSD titles on eBay. Seems like a lot. I bought much less than years past and am over this limited release hype. It sure is a powerful marketing tool but somewhere down the road there may be a reckoning on this hype. Sure didnt seem to matter okay as the crowds were bigger than ever.

Mike The Fish 65 likes this.
  4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Side Two sounds better than Side One. I took a closer look at what's inscribed between the grooves and it appears that "RL" is written on each side. Robert Ludwig, perhaps?

apple-richard likes this.
  5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I know the question was asked earlier, but I haven't seen many comments on it.
    How much of this vinyl has digital in the chain, as opposed to analog???

MrRom92 and RelayerNJ like this.
  6. John Brookbank

John Brookbank BLK Vinyl Slinger

I am loving this Idle Race. Listened to on it prior on Spotify whilst cutting the grass this afternoon, which may have lowered my expectations ;)

Brudy and Mazzy like this.
  7. does it really matter as long as it sounds good?

8. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

This Johnny Cash is Amazing in sound and presentation. If you can find it buy it.

Johnny Cash RSD 001.JPG Johnny Cash RSD 002.JPG

9. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

absolutely agree....might be my fave of 2014 RSD.....how many were pressed?

10. John Brookbank

I've just been comparing "Odessey and Oracle" copies for hours so the recording really blew me away. May not be the masterpiece O&O is but "The Birthday Party" is quite the gem!

Brudy and Mazzy like this.
  11. John Brookbank

Simon A and EasterEverywhere like this.
  12. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Most people don't care,but this may be the number one reason I avoid modern reissues.

LordThanos1969 and MrRom92 like this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

subtlety is obviously not his forte.............

14. John D.

John D. Senior Member

It definitely matters to some of us, I will wait for others to voice an opinion, thanks for your point of view.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  15. apple-richard

Where it belongs...:)

:wave:

aoxomoxoa, Simon A, numer9 and 2 others like this.
  16. It is great. I have the reissue from the 70s too. This is better.

izgoblin likes this.
  17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yeah, I see RL as well. I'm surprised . . . I thought it's a great-sounding version of this title.

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Here's what's actually in the Soundgarden box set.

[​IMG]

19. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I'm curious if it is a RL... it doesn't look like his age old script when he was cutting for Masterdisk and Sterling.. It looks like a Capital R with a lower case l.. Can anybody verify who cut the VU? There was something else I got with the same apparent 'RL' today.. Maybe the Ramones EP.. both are on Rhino.. maybe he's working with them..

Ludwig is listed as a credit on the Sam Cooke LP.. Haven't opened that one yet.. But, he didn't cut the lacquer, just mastered for vinyl I guess. I'll check the script and compare it with the Loaded.

Ben Adams likes this.
  20. apple-richard

This Joan Jett is her third RSD issue in a row and once again she doesn't disappoint. Download card with bonus tracks and video content. :thumbsup:

Joan Jett RSD 001.JPG Joan Jett RSD 002.JPG

robtodd, Simon A and Jerod like this.
  21. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

Listening to the Space Project now - vinyl is dead quiet. Sounds great

Brudy likes this.
  22. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

The problem I have is that there's just no way to know 100% -- even if the mastering was from analog tape, it's possibly that there was something digital somewhere along the line.

That said, the the RSD version of MGMT's "Oracular Spectacular" claims "remastered from the original analog tapes" on the cover - take that for whatever it's worth, of course.

23. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Success! Went to Cactus after dinner and found the Bob Wills, also picked up the Hank Williams, Doc Watson and the Yardbirds "Songs I heard". Anybody in Houston looking for anything they had multiple copies of most everything.

ianhilluk likes this.
  24. BNell

BNell Forum Resident

Got to Johnny's in Darien, CT at about 10:30 - line was about 15 people outside and another 10-15 in the store - waited about an hour to get to the RSD stuff - selection was good, though I missed the last copy of the Dead release by 5-6 people - I picked up The Idle Race, Quah, Norman Greenbaum, The Muppet Movie OST, and the mystery single. I also picked up Old and in the Way, Live at the Boardinghouse (non-RSD) - after two hours of work at my office, I made my way to Gerosa Records in Brookfield - they still had a decent selection in the middle of the afternoon - I got my copy of the Dead and I picked up the recent LP release of The Name of This Band is Talking Heads (non-RSD) - all in all, it was a good Record Store Day for me - the only release I'm really disappointed that I couldn't get was the Fleetwood Mac single - I'm honestly happy I didn't see the REM box ad I would've been tempted to spend too much money - I'll grab the CD when it comes out - as for the turnout, both stores had good, enthusiastic crowds - and I'm happy to report that everyone with whom I interacted was not only polite, but helpful -

BrookvalePhil and No Static like this.
  25. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Looking forward to giving my copy a spin later this evening-I imagine the whiskey is an ideal accompaniment!

apple-richard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.