Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (side 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Even though I lined up at the crack of dawn for the day's exclusives, I have to say I'm even more excited about my used purchases of the day. There's always cool stuff in the bins and I enjoy browsing through them even more on RSD. (Excuse the Springsteen in the wrong part of the photo, obviously not a vintage item)

image.jpg

Across 3 stores I found some neat stuff. That cal tjader on fantasy was nice and finding it so quickly inspired me to browse through the jazz bins a little more thoroughly than usual. Good call, because I found that 1st pressing of Blue Note 1501 shortly afterwards. Only $10. How? I couldn't tell you. The store specializes in jazz as well, I can only imagine there was a missing 0 on the price sticker. :D

Other neat used finds not pictured:

• 1978 UK white album, white vinyl. Steve Hoffman-approved forum favorite. Played twice, once by original owner (hardcore audiophile), 2nd time play graded by the shop. Perfect mint grading.

• 1913 Columbia records double-disc advertising/demonstration record. Sold by dealers to demonstrate the new 2 sided discs. Humongous eye catching label on the record. Always wanted one!

My favorite of the day's releases... I like the nirvana 45 although it's not something I can see myself choosing to play often. I'm not sure if it will find a permanent home in my collection, but it will stay for now since I did enjoy it.

The Hendrix disc sounds phenomenal, really great mastering! It's my 1st QRP pressed disc. It's thick and feels impressive, but it's pressed a bit off center and there are quite a few non-fill issues on side 2. A little disappointing.

I'm not sure where all the hate for URP and Rainbo come from on here, as the majority of my new vinyl purchases come from URP. I've only gotten one bad disc from them - an off center pressing. And my Rainbo pressed LPs have been nothing but utterly impressive. I was so impressed by the pressing quality on a number of releases by one label that I had to contact them to find out who pressed them. They used Rainbo. :shrug:

I like the RPM football game as well. Gimmicky and I'm unsure if it's something I'll ever play. But it's a neat demonstration of what can be done within the confines of the format. I love unique things like this, and it's something I absolutely had to have.

Looking forward to Black Friday/RSD15!

2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Amazon UK itself has both the Joy Division and LCD Soundsystem for sale.

3. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

If you're interested in sampling the band, rent or buy the film of the concert (Shut Up and Play the Hits). It's a really great concert film, and some versions include the entire concert, which is what you get in the box set, in a different and, according to Murphy, improved mix.

rstamberg and mikemoon like this.
  4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Nice haul! I wonder why someone would only play that White album once? I guess you have plenty of spins to enjoy regardless.

I'm surprised the Hendrix is gone from some places as they pressed so many but I look forward to finding this one later on.

Man, I hate to hate on URP and Rainbo because they can press great records but out of all my defective vinyl last year, they were the culprits 80% of the time. The non-fill issue at Rainbo is beyond ridiculous. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't but they are inconsistent.

5. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Where would you start with the studio albums music and sound quality wise? This is a smaller initial investment! Thanks, I will keep a look out for the concert dvd.

6. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

Is the Velvet Underground pretty hard to get in the U.S? I see a few on ebay but quite expensive. Is it worth waiting a while?

7. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

To mikemoon:

All the LCD albums are good and quite different. He's extremely eclectic, and the music ranges from rock to pop to dance to ambient, with fruitful mish-mashes in between. I'd recommend starting with the first one (self-titled, disco ball cover), but make sure you get the 2CD edition which includes most of the early singles on the second disc.

If you're a music geek like the rest of us, you'll probably fall in love with 'Losing My Edge' immediately. It should really be the national anthem of this forum.

John Brookbank, mwv121 and roggae like this.
  8. roggae

roggae Well-Known Member

"I was there..."

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I had a great RSD and wasn't even there. Hit Newbury Comics today to thumb through everything that was left. The ones I wanted most (Pixies, Allman Bros.) were still available, but the prices were ridiculous. Instead I got great bargains on the following non-RSD titles:

Marillion-- Radiation 2013 (double blue vinyl)-- $20
    Todd Rundgren-- State (double vinyl)-- $10
    The Fiery Furnaces-- Remember (triple vinyl-- $10!!)
    Mission of Burma-- The Obliterati (double vinyl) $10
    Nektar-- Time Machine (single vinyl) -- $13

Ten pieces of very cool vinyl for $20 less than the cost of an REM box!

10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Only a handful of my new purchases have been pressed at Rainbo, but I was so impressed that every release was perfectly centered on each side, flat, and without so much as a hint of surface noise. They were colored vinyl pressings, so perhaps there is better quality control when they do colored pressings. I don't believe I have any black vinyl from Rainbo.
    From urp I have many records of all types. They're not always 100% perfect, but they're very, very good. Maybe I don't buy dozens of new releases every month so my sample size may not be as large as some people's here. But I certainly don't lose all faith when I find the little u or anything like that.

I was told the previous owner of the white album was an audiophile with a top-notch rig who bought many MFSLs, DCCs, etc. and ran them off to tape immediately. An odd practice, but hey, better for me! The records look and sound absolutely pristine. I've been seeking this issue for a long long time, and it was the first time I found one "in the wild" or so to speak. The shop has a number of high priced high-end LPs on the wall, (butcher covers, blue notes, test pressings, etc) and this was a new addition.

I definitely paid a bit. I may have been able to pay slightly less online, but this way I wouldn't have to deal with shipping from overseas (or at all), the grading was done by people I trust so I knew I was getting a quality product, and I was able to support a local shop that I love. The $20-40 bucks I might've saved by potentially purchasing a worn and inferior copy online would not have been worth it to me. I've held out on bidding on any copy that went above the $100 mark for this reason. And they always do.

mikemoon likes this.
  11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My copy of Creedence Clearwater Revival's THE 1969 SINGLES 10-inch record pressed on white vinyl is quite noisy. (I haven't put it through the Spin Clean machine yet.)

Still, CCR released all these great singles in just one year. I'm still amazed.

Vinyl_Blues and ptijerm like this.
  12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Great documentary. The Blu-ray Disc is amazing.

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The band should be interested in acquiring that footage and likely pay, quality/length depending.

Hawkman likes this.
  14. thepluralofvinyl

thepluralofvinyl Forum Resident

About what percentage of your new purchases were pressed by those two last year? One percentage doesn't mean much without the other. While they both make mistakes I think the fact that they combine for probably 60% of the new vinyl out there they sometimes get unfairly judged. For some folks most of their collections are from those two plants so most of their defects would be too.

mikemoon likes this.
  15. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I just got an email from Bull Moose that they received too many orders for the REM unplugged and that even though my order went through, I won't be getting it. That's a bit of a bummer.

16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should of grabbed it when I saw that!

rstamberg likes this.
  17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Why would a colored vinyl album be more prone to warping? Never heard that.
    Where some colored vinyl has been noisy in the past, most of the stuff I have heard lately is the same as any black vinyl pressing.
    Soundstage is a class A act, they will take care of it for you.

18. Well that right there Is a problems in terms of their inventory vs web site sales coordination. It should not happen. I ordered mine from them too. We shall see what happens

19. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Not sure of this is allowed or not but if someone knows where I could score "The Space Project" 12" LP from a record shop that is in or will ship to Canada, I would be greatly appreciative.

20. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

I'm glad it was cancelled, couldn't afford it this time around

ptijerm likes this.
  21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'm sorry about that. I called after placing my order online.

22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Post in the classified section of the web site:)

23. ChaosOfMemories

ChaosOfMemories Active Member

Not Soundstage - Soundscapes - and I'm sure they'll give me store credit- I've been shopping there for a decade.
    Though Soundstage are where I order my records from if I want to get stuff I can't get in Canada....

I'm told that shrinkwrap makes heavy vinyl in general more prone to warping - and this looks like a rushed packaged job. And in turn, I'm also told that rushed packaging of coloured vinyl leaves it prone to bending. I can count more than five coloured vinyl records I've gotten in the last year that I've had to return or exchange...

24. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

I just spoke to him a little while ago. I again strongly encouraged him to get the three reels (probably no more than 12 or 15 minutes of film) transferred to DVD as soon as possible. 38 year-old super-8 film does NOT hold color well. I know from experience.

Evidently they also have one of the group coming out to look at their car which had the Booji Boy painted on the hood. :)

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Did he get the Bowie part? He might want to have a copy as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.