Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (side 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

2. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Electra release in 1972. Just assorted album tracks. I like the sequencing and my original copy is long gone. Sounds good and the color vinyl is a nice added bonus.

3. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Has anyone heard and have a comment about the sound/pressing quality of the Spacemen 3 3x12" set?

4. djej

djej Forum Resident

Cooke credits:

Restoration Producers:
    Jody H. Klein & Teri Landi (not a big surprise since it's an ABKCO release)

Sound Restoration & Archive Coordinator:
    Steve Rosenthal (The Magic Shop)

Digital Transfers:
    Mick Gochanour (MixUp NYC)

Mastering:
    Bob Ludwig (Gateway Mastering)

Assistant Engineers:
    Matt Boynton, Tom Camuso, Ben Bailes, & Rafael Ventura

Cover photo:
    Wally Seawall

Lacquer Cutting:
    Carl Rowatti (Trutone Mastering Labs)

5. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

It is. Lovely packaging and mastered beautifully. You can really crank it up...

johnnypaddock likes this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

And a couple of rare-ish b sides.

7. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Picked up a new Sinatra at the Sands from Mofi for all of $28 and a new Ray Lamontagne; Till the Sun Turns Black

Pats Radio likes this.
  8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I'm in this video posted by Scotti's Record Store - I counted the people as they go buy, I'm 25th in Line (I thought I counted 30th place yesterday). I'm the only one in the video he actually calls by name (Mike) - as I'm a regular. I was put on the spot, so I sound a little goofy (yeah I know - I probably am goofy). I mention I got there at 5:40am, and the video was shot around 7:50am.

9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It is helpful that when you post, you don't just use the word "it" to refer to the record you're talking about. "I thought it sounded great.", for example. If that's your entire post, we have no idea to which album you are referring.

j3brow and Mazzy like this.
  10. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I hate to say this, but my RSD was a real let down in spite of buying a bunch of vinyl. I had a strategy, the only problem was I did not realize what a crap shoot RSD can be here in the NYC area. I got up at 5 AM, caught the 6:50 AM train into NYC and was at my first store, In Living Stereo (ILS), shortly after 8 AM and was number 10 in the line. My strategy was working, I would be in the first group let into this tiny store. What I really wanted out of this RSD was the R.E.M. Unplugged box set (it was the crown jewel of RSD for me). My plan was to hit ILS early enough to be first in (they let about 12 or 14 people in when it opened at 9 AM), crab up all that I could get there, and then head over to Turntable Lab (TTL) which was about a 10 to 15 minute brisk walk from ILS (which gets harder and harder for this old geezer :sigh:) and would not open until 10 AM, and try to pick up what I could not get at ILS. When I got in to ILS I went straight to were they had the box sets. They had two copies of the Cake box set, the first person in (a woman) grabbed one copy and two or three other people were playing tug-o-war over the second copy. THERE WAS NO R.E.M. BOX SET. I immediately asked the manager if they had one and he said they ordered it but did not get any! My strategy suddenly had a big hole in it. :shake: I got all that I could at ILS , made it over to TTL by about 9:40 AM and my heart sunk. I was somewhere between number 60 to 70 in the line. When TTL opened at 10 AM they let in 10 people to the even tinier store. I did not get into the store until 12:15 PM (as one person would leave the store another is let in (the TTL store is about 250 square feet)). They would periodically announce what was sold out and about 11:30 AM they announced that the R.E.M. box set was gone. :mad: When I got to the front of the line I asked how many of the R.E.M. box sets they had and to my shock the answer was ten! How is it that two stores that are about 8 blocks apart (remember this is NYC so having the same kind of store only blocks apart is not uncommon) where one gets zero and the other gets ten even though both ordered the same item??? I drank excessively the rest of the day.

So now the only choice I have if I want to get the R.E.M. box set is to fork over $250 on ebay for something that sold for $85 retail. I know someone will tell me that given how screwed up the music industry is I should not be surprised by this.

The only other thing I could not get that I wanted was a re-release of the 1963 Newport Folk Festival album. I cannot even find a copy of it for sale on ebay.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Hi Tony,
    There is something wrong with this whole distribution of RSD titles. Getting to a store early it's still a crap shoot along with how some stores are starting to price gouge. Like I said in earlier posts that's why this was my last RSD. The one item that I wanted the Grateful Dead release I didn't even see. However I just hit Amoeba's site and was able to order it for $39.99 with free shipping. That's probably $20 less than I would have paid locally.

12. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I got what I was originally looking for from RSD 2014:

Joy Division - An Ideal For Living 12"
    Nirvana - Pennyroyal Tea 7"
    Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks Alternative Takes 7x7" boxset
    The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine 2LP

PennyLanes and Pats Radio like this.
  13. Paul Dodd

Paul Dodd Well-Known Member

It was a great day! Between 3 stores, I found everything on my list with the exception of two items.(Bowie Pic-Disc, Page/Black Crowes)
    I then saw The Zombies(Rod Argent & Colin Blunstone only) do a 4-song set at Plan 9 music here in Charlottesville.
    Argent spoke at the beginning about the renaissance of the vinyl LP, and the importance of Record Store Day.
    IMG_20140419_011.jpg

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Had to work so I went late to two stores. They must have had a great day since there wasn't much left besides more of the obscure/indie titles.

Bought the Josh Rouse/Autumn Defense 45 and found a used copy of Adrian Belew Lone Rhino with the black Island label.

15. MikeT

Just an FYI, you can purchase the split color Red/Yellow version of Jorma's Quah now at Loony Tunes (the Store related to the label Brookvale) where that version was an exclusive. I just purchased one, even though I got the Yellow version and it was just an ok pressing by United.
    They have a few other items for sale, but not much. Anyway for those wanting the Jorma - here you go.

Here is a link to purchase:

http://ltcds.com/record-store-day-titles-now-available-online/

capn likes this.
  16. MikeT

PennyLanes, Brudy and capn like this.
  17. Man, the MGMT albums were super popular at the stores I went to; I almost felt I should pick one up out of peer pressure.

Also: the Tame Impala was supposed to come with a download card? Damn, there wasn't one with my copy! Whom do I sue? :)

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I stopped in a local shop yesterday. Not much of the RSD vinyl interested me, so I just picked up Aerosmith Rocks and Draw the Line and an unmarked 45 that the store owner told me was Rush. For good measure, I picked up the 40th anniversary vinyl issue of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (black vinyl). Of course, I bought a load of CDs, used and new.

This store sold out of Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine before I arrived. They are hoping to get more copies in. I'm still hoping the CD set comes out in May.

This store posted signs thanking folks for supporting them on RSD. However, the same sign said they would not accept returns on RSD items. Gee, thanks. :sigh: I guess you're screwed if you get a bad pressing.

19. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Already is...wait a month and you can find virtually every release on Ebay at or below wholesale cost.

I have personally witnessed organized teams of buyers (four or five people together) coming in with lists of stuff to buy and they have no idea who the artists are...with out of state license plates.

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I actually called a few stores on Friday to see if they got certain items I was looking for. I'd try that next time.

Engineer X and PennyLanes like this.
  21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Did they let you buy them on Friday or did they hold them for you until Saturday?

22. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Well now that I know what you look like, if I'm ever there when you are there I will say hello.

By the way, when I got there and actually got in the store after a very short wait around 3 P.M , he still had PLENTY of the Jorma. You can go back for seconds. :)

PennyLanes, Thurenity and MikeT like this.
  23. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I happened to be near Other Music in NYC so I felt obliged to have a look around on RSD and be disappointed that they didn't have the one thing I was interested in.

As expected they didn't have the RSD item I was looking for but, as usual, I bought it on eBay the day after RSD.

They had a good crowd in there and I ended up picking up Space Lady's Greatest Hits CD.

24. Emperor5353

Emperor5353 Forum Resident

My haul from Strictly Discs in Madison..had to work, so I went later and still found what I was looking for

[​IMG]

25. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I just found out that the Mystery vinyl is Rush/Love split Seven and Seven Is. I need to run down to my local record store and grab this as I didn't get to go yesterday. I hope there are some left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.