Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (side 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

Got lucky and found a copy of the Grateful Dead '79 show. :) Happy Happy

2. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

My only real disappointment with RSD was not getting The Doors and Devo Live. I chose not to stand in line and acknowledged I may not get something I wanted as a result. It was a great day and I had a lot of fun.

I actually kind of miss the comradery of the early morning line. The first RSD my boyfriend ended up in line behind another couple and we swapped stories. It was fun. The last year I stood in line was a different story and ended with me having a broken toe. Yet every year I have to talk myself down from standing in line.

My boyfriend will continue teasing me today because I bought the Peanuts Cruiser because it was cute. I will once again remind him that my inner child wanted it and I was in the mood to indulge.

Happy Easter, Happy Sunday!

3. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

Ka-Chunk Records had several of the live Devo LPs... I contemplated purchasing it but looked at the expensive loot already in my hands and decided against it. This may end up being my biggest regret of the year...

4. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

What do these guys sound like? Never heard of them before.

mayoski likes this.
  5. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

The Everlys isn't an Analogue Productions release, but was pressed at Quality. My copy has a sticker on the front attesting to it. (Oddly, the only Quality pressing I've ever seen with a sticker). Its a Warner/Rhino release

6. ChaosOfMemories

ChaosOfMemories Active Member

I said it *seems* - as in the quality of the vinyl and packaging. I'm glad Warner/Rhino are using QRP.

7. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I don't know if I'd call it price gouging, but my store had the Randy and Otis for $24.99 each. Aren't stores allowed to mark up 20%? I'm always amazed at the huge price differences between places.. This stuff adds up when you are talking about buying a stack of LPs and each one is $5 to $7 higher than other people pay. That can add $30 or $30 to your bill.. That's the cost of another disc.

8. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Maybe just using their pressing plant dictates the high quality of the release including packaging. I'm glad Warner/Rhino are using QRP also. I'm glad Sundazed switched to them and RTI.

ChaosOfMemories likes this.
  9. mistercleen

mistercleen Forum Resident

I visited Reckless and Dave's Records here in Chicago. At age 54, my aversion to standing in line for anything is at an all time high, but it was fun hanging with my fellow vinyl hounds. Was able to score the ORG Sun Ra and the Resonance Charles Lloyd Live at Slugs, Wes Montgomery Live at the Turf Club and the Montgomery-Johnson Quintet. Also picked up a couple of the Albini/Weston Jesus Lizard remasters. All in all a fun day. Kind of a grown up Easter egg hunt.

PennyLanes and LavidDange like this.
  10. roggae

roggae Well-Known Member

anyone spin that LCD box set? mastered from tape to vinyl. mine is quiet but then again all of my later james murphy projects seem to be too quiet...

11. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

It's gotten worse this particular RSD.Amazon (US) is price gouging just as bad as ebay.In past RSDs,Amazon had a lot of big sellers like Ameoba or Used Kids putting up a few copies of each RSD release on Amazon,for only a few dollars above what they sold them for in the store.This does not seem to be the case this time.Maybe they are getting fewer copies,or there is more demand in the stores,or both.I liked Amazon,because I can't make it before the one store in Albuquerque opens,and they get very poor fill.It was probably worse yesterday.

It looks like I will be getting all eight of the RSD records I WANTED,from one or two large Amazon sellers in the UK this time.Like I said,in the last thread,I lucked out on the only REM Unplugged for $105 and change.ebay and Amazon (US) are getting as much as $400.I am willing to bet there will be no vinyl on the REM when it comes out as a regular issue.

12. roggae

roggae Well-Known Member

no clue about the others, but my LCD was $129 and i'm pretty happy with it...

13. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

First, I would say, you do have other choices so just buy the CD wen it comes out and enjoy it. I don't mean to be quaint here, as a fellow record enthusiast I know what I would rather have. But I doubt the $200+ that you would spend on the records would be worth it versus the sound quality of the CD. From my perspective, I know it wouldn't.

Second, I don't know if anyone else has replied but we are laying blame without a lot of information and condemning RSD distribution. You say they you went to a tiny store, perhaps the volume of the other store justified them getting 10 and the small store getting none, that is market demand so I can't say I see any problem with it. So next year get in line early at the other place first then go to the small store after. Moreover, we don't know for a fact that the tiny store got zero. Theirs may be online fetching that $250 as we speak. Maybe, maybe not. But we can't be sure and just flat out say RSD distribution sucks.

John Brookbank likes this.
  14. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Well, what do we expect... when stuff is allowed to be released in very limited quantities, so that hundreds of record stores across the country (and the rest of the world too of course) can't get these records to sell? Kind of makes a mockery of the words "record store" in Record Store Day. But what can we do? Except tell the people running RSD to change their policies, starting with the extremely limited pressings, and start letting record stores be able to buy the titles they know they can sell....

Peachy and nodeerforamonth like this.
  15. EasterEverywhere

Thanks.Just grabbed the Strummer/Pogues,and Dead.I don't see the Green Day or Bob Wills.Cheapest I am seeing the Green Day on vinyl is around $42.00

16. EasterEverywhere

Don't see the Green Day or Devo here either.The Bob Wills is a little more than I thought.Was it $27.99 in the stores?

17. vinyldinosaur

vinyldinosaur New Member

Anybody pick up the Randy Newman reissue (Rhino)? I was really excited about it. Just put it on and there is some noticeable distortion on the first cut (crushed dynamics?). Also, the label is off-center.

The Zombies LPs are awesome, if only to hear these great songs ("You Make Me Feel Good" is killer) on some clean vinyl. Anybody know mastering and pressing info?
    Too bad the Neil Young box set was cancelled. Can't wait for Zuma.

18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

With the MGMT this was my same conclusion and I'm glad I bought it.

With the Hendrix, the original reissue of had a digital step from everything I can gather. It sounds really ordinary I guess. I would think this AAA reissue would be a significant improvement considering the other live Hendrix AAA reissues.

19. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

It has more digititis than analog attributes. Quite a poor mastering job in 2003. Sam's vocals have limited depth and extension, while the instruments are all cluttered and don't breathe well. Tonality is also poor, with too much compression to the sound. Very disappointing release. My original absolutely kills it. And I'm not blaming Trutone; the Animals EPs they cut sound fantastic.

For such a legend as Sam, why on earth did the record company not spend the extra money and have a fresh remaster done in 2014? Compare this recycled remastering to the incredible sound of the Otis Redding RSD. Same price point--one is a stellar reissue while the other is not.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  20. EasterEverywhere

21. EasterEverywhere

Always loved this album.If I didn't have a minty 1969 W7 pressing,I would have bought it.This one never turns up,and demand is high.

22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Interesting, upon listening to both, I thought the Cooke lp was better than the Redding. I'm no expert though. Of course, this was just after one listen to each.

23. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Mike, keep in mind the Otis is mono, and that recording is not as good as a recording as the RCA stereo Sam.

If you buy a nice original of Sam, you'll hear where RL's 2003 mastering falls short.

mikemoon likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Neither. It was just a check for stock.

25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I think the Cooke reissue I got yesterday is well balanced, tonally and it's a great album. But where it falls short is the lack of liquidity of flow that comes with a great all-analog recording. I find that digitally mastered LPs can sound better than CDs, but can feel static. The AP 45rpm, to contrast, is a fantastic, you-are-there listening experience.

mikemoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.