Record Store Day 2014 - sound/pressing quality reviews RSD releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Thanks! I too have a gold label Days (stereo), haven't heard it in a while. Should give it a whirl. I also remember having it on CD and it was horrible.

2. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Side one of Aerosmith Rocks might be my favorite album side of all time and the latest lp issue does not disappoint!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

As I skim the first few pages of this thread, I didn't see anything about the Yardbirds LP, so I'll add a quick review: sound is very nice, but the vinyl seems to have some non-fill. Mostly between tracks. White Summer sounds really fresh.

4. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Almost bought this today. You just talked me into going back and grabbing it tomorrow.

Go the Alvin brothers, the Wes Montgomery studio release and Gill Scott Heron. Will have time to listen tomorrow, encouraged by what I've read here.

5. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Vintage Vinyl was nice enough to exchange my defective Jake Bugg for a new copy. New copy, same result: Side 2 is a staticky mess. Must be a stamper issue. Wonder how many are screwed up?

6. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I don't own the original press but I'm shocked at how good this sounds. A big improvement over the CD. Flat heavy vinyl, dead quiet... Not necessarily audiophile but a really nice, dynamic listen.

For whatever reason MGMT has never struck me as a band to put a lot of care into the vinyl release. Turns out I was wrong.

mikemoon likes this.
  7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Original Sun pressings suck. Sam Phillips was a cheapskate and the vinyl was always hissy.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  8. Can I get an Amen!

Lethrus, mistercleen and jimhb like this.
  9. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

This is exactly correct. It's a very nice record. But I always suspected they probably recorded it in their houses, and now having finally gotten a real copy, I see it says it was recorded in the bass player's room. But again, I wasn't expecting a lot, but this is very well done. I was surprised to find that I think it actually does sound a bit nicer than my FLAC's, and I was noticing things that I hadn't previously. And even on this earliest Pinback, there're lots of details to be noticed.

I was also pretty excited to see any discussion at all of a Pinback release on here, it's cool that a couple of people know them. I think somebody else pages back was just getting into their stuff, so I have to recommend to them (or anybody else) to check out Summer in Abaddon, it's one of my all-time favourite records.

That was the only RSD release I picked up, but having read this thread I'm going to have to see if I can get hold of the Otis Redding for sure, and maybe the Donny Hathaway as well as a couple of others. Good to hear that a lot of these releases have been well done.

10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Side 1 of mine was horribly distorted in the right channel. I exchanged it for the Idle Race album at my local shop, and I have another Little Games now on order from Bull Moose.

The Idle Race and July LPs sound great, by the way! Very happy with both.

Brudy and GentleSenator like this.
  11. Tame Impala sounds good to me. Clean pressing.

The music is amazing.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I saw a copy in town today. Anyone have any feedback on SQ? It's an expensive record so I don't want to take the plunge without some idea of SQ.

Eddie :)

13. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

Not sure of the PFNO LP's exact lineage, but it sounds great, I'm listening to it right now. I can also tell you it has the same sig in the deadwax as my copy of Keep It Like a Secret, FWIW. But it's fairly illegible. I love those two records, especially Perfect From Now On.

Built to Spill have been one of my very favourite bands for years now, I should probably get the reissue of Ultimate Alternative Wavers from the impressions given here.... I guess I didn't grab it Saturday just because my store(s) seemed to have a ton of copies of it, and because they were kind of a different band then, not nearly as great as what they became. Still, some great songs on that record, I'll likely get it.

Budysr likes this.
  14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

But everything else is NOT equal. Even if it's from a digital master, if done right, it's from a high rez one. That would make the vinyl inherently better sounding if your playback system is up to the task. Yes, you may have to get up every 20 minutes (more for the 12" 45s), could have some surface noise, etc., but the music will be tonally better, and have more life.

Vinyl is an imperfect medium, but it's the best medium other than reel-to-reel or live, and with the latter, you have to deal with coughing, the sound of air-conditioning, people whispering loudly and other things.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

There were many CDs and even a cassette or two, but there's a preponderance of vinyl.

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

T.Rex "Tanx": Solid, very quiet vinyl. But...the "large" poster is actually very small, the cover print is very pale compared to 1973 issues. The 2014 Visconti master seems to be a matter of taste. I immediately disliked it. Some tracks sound as if the bass was simply put up, others sounded thin. I stopped half way through and reached for a vintage 1973 Reprise copy. Now... THAT sounded good. The new one can go!

Note to self: Don't rebuy albums where you already have a fantastic version. Not even (or rather "Especially not") on Record Store Day;)

Drew769 likes this.
  17. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Posted a couple of pages back:
    The Sex Pistols box is a very pleasant surprise. VERY heavy 7''s, nicely packaged and the sonics are brilliant - great instrument separation, plenty of guts in the bass, clear vocals - real great set. Dropcard for a download too.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  18. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Mine did not have the download card and I'm hoping to spin the vinyl on a super-duper turntable in a nearby audio store before playing it on my turntable,so we'll see.Edited and mastered by Daniel Hersch at d2 Mastering.Vinyl.Master engineer-Ron McMaster,Capitol.Pressed at Quality(QRP),Salina,KS. Yes,its 200 gm.Know that this is neither the "original soundtrack"LP nor the actual parts used in the film but the 2000 recording with the WDR big band using both movie cues and arrangements that were on the LP with Mr. Schifrin conducting his arrangements.Most of the artwork,which I think shows up on the previously released CD,looks like washed out lobby cards which had been stored near light or heat. The Schifrin family is Aleph Records.

19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Dream With Dean right?
    See if they have two. I will buy one from you. I can't find one.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Steve Earle, Townes - slight noise on the vinyl but overall sound quality fine.

Everly Brothers, Roots - quiet, good sound quality.

21. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I will let you know.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Mine has TML-M in the deadwax.

23. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it.

24. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Anybody pick up Husker Du "Candy Apple Grey"? I think I saw only one comment on that one and sound. Wondering if its worth grabbing since I already have the original CD

25. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Someone mentioned this was cut by Kevin Gray (KG@CA) can you confirm? Also are there any indicator of where it might have been pressed. I'm trying to avoid Rainbo and United (S - , "U" in the deadwax). Any info is appreciated! That Donny Hathaway right there is nice too! I got that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.