Record Store Day 2014 - sound/pressing quality reviews RSD releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm about to give my copy a spin!:D

2. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

The Pogues/Stummer set is really a treat.. A ramshackle affair, as you'd expect, pressed on ruby red wax. The Clash material is so interesting to hear with fiddle and accordion, particularly Straight to Hell. A fun, fun record.

Page and the Black Crowes at the Greek is a monster. Never heard this set before but the drums sound alive and heavy; Chris Robinson can really channel Robert Plant. Jimmy Page sounds invigorated.

The Animals 10' is flat-out spectacular, just like the two from last year. Buy with confidence.

All were flat and centered. Yesterday was a lot of fun. Thanks guys and gals for the updates

3. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Curious to know about the sound/pressing quality of the Spacemen 3 3x12" set.

5. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Any reviews or mastering info on Bullitt, Original Soundtrack?

6. I don't think it's distortion. The voicing is slightly left of centre and you could be hearing a slight sibilance on louder passages. I think it's the mastering, not the pressing.

7. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

Everly Brothers - Roots

What a great album! Mastered by Kevin Gray and sounds absolutly fantastic. Beats my original green WB which has the dreaded CSG treatment.

8. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I listened to the 1991 Unplugged set by R.E.M. last night. My copy is quiet; sounds fantastic to these ears. I'd been listening to the "Hitting The Note" version for twenty years. This release breathes new life into the recording- no more hiss from the VHS dub.

9. Enhance

Enhance Forum Resident

That's what I was expecting. I found the original pressing disappointing and it's due to the amount of dynamic range compression in the mix. If you check out the DTS surround version on the special edition you'll see the amount of limiting on the front channels. I used the Terry West ReLife dynamic range expander on the L and R channels, then adjusted the other channel levels and downmixed... beautiful. Blows the record out of the water.

Scroller likes this.
  10. PlasticSongs88

PlasticSongs88 New Member

Can anyone comment on the quality of the JB's Food For Thought reissue on Get On Down? The over-packaging/$30 price steered me away from picking it up.

11. scottM

scottM Forum Resident

The Gram Parsons album sounds very nice. No problems with pressing. Not
    Agree. I took a flyer on this one and am happy. Nice analog sound and flat and centered pressing. Packaging is bear bones. Would recommend.

12. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

It will be interesting to compare the REM LP with the upcoming CD release of this unplugged set in May. Wondering if the LP is just a digital transfer.

13. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I thought for sure this would be a new cut, but the matrix numbers don't lie. I too have an OP and I picked up this new RSD release because, well, Opeth. I thought the OP had a sightly different sound compared to the CD, and I know another big Opeth fan who thinks the OP vinyl sounds VERY different than the CD. Color of the new press looks very cool.

The Pinback LP sounded good. It sounds like the digital files I have, and that's not a knock as this isn't an audiophile recording and if one was expecting to be blown away, they were misleading themselves. It's clean and clear, nice low end, with an even sound and the pressing quality seemed to be good. Nice pressing.

The Soundgarden box. I bought it even though i don't think the package was worth a pick up. The song selection is not stellar, and the B-sides from that era just don't match up with B-sides from other albums. The "box" is thin posterboard just holding the 5 10"s together. The real attraction is of course the preview of the remastered tracks. Is this the amazing audio quality we've always hoped for? is it an improvement over the original CD/LP? So far i've only listed to My Wave and i'm not sure. I thought it did sound less congested and a bit more revealing of some instruments parts. But right now, my system is in a room that is less than ideal sonically, so I'll leave a real SQ review to someone else. I'm not yet sold that this is what we were all waiting for SQ-wise, especially with that $60 pricetag (for the 20th Superunknown). This set, for around $45 for 5 10" records with some B-sides and live material isn't bad for a big Soundgarden fan, but for casual fans or fans looking for huge sonic improvement, you could pass.

Scroller likes this.
  14. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Aren't all the MTV unplugged sessions digital recordings?

15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Were any of the ORG Music titles actual all analog cuts? I was on the fence about many of them. Had so many in my stack but I put a lot of it back. I did cave on the Johnny Cash when I got up to pay, realized I never put it back and noticed I had lucked across a very low number. So I figured I'd buy it just in case it turned out to be an all analog affair.

16. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I haven't thoroughly read all the credits but couldn't see the mention. I will check tonight but it is done by Rhino not WB.

17. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Hahaha....I thought about doing that with the sleeve too. I might have to get details from you.

I thought this sounded pretty good as well...I was disappointed that it didn't have the customary RJ/Sterling in the deadwax but WG/NRP did a really good job here.

I did like the sound quality but it seems different than the English Oceans lp. It seems like a dryer sound if that makes sense. Is it me or is track 2, side 1, a Drive By Trucker hip-hop beat - I love it!

18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

wow ! is your copy really yellow ? Mine is green in color , popped on side #1 a hair o a warp , but overall sounds really good on my table , glad to finally have this one on vinyl :bdance:

Scroller likes this.
  19. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Anyone pick up Gordon Lightfoot-Sundown? My store didn't have any copies. My MFSL copy has been one of my favorites for years, I'd be curious to know how the new release compares.

Jrr likes this.
  20. Kicker55

Kicker55 Forum Resident

I have a quality control issue with the Joe Strummer/Pogues release. Record one has two large black blotches on it (which is red vinyl). The blotches are identical (in reverse) on both sides of record one. Record two is a perfect, ruby red color. The issue does not affect the sound quality, which is spectacular.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

21. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

I think the flash on my camera kinda overemphasized the yellows, but yeah, it really does have more of a yellowish-green hue overall.

22. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Picking nits, but Rhino is WB. Different logo, same house.

23. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Good to see someone commenting on Sun Ra. I'm going to get mine today but your cover and vinyl look vastly different. It sez here it's "psychedelic" vinyl. Is this something different?

[​IMG]
    Sun RaOuter Spaceways Incorporated RSD VinylReleased Saturday, April 19, 2014
    Price: $24.99[​IMG]RSD 2014
    Sun Ra's orchestra was at its most radical during this period, alternating simple chants with very outside playing and dense ensembles. Remastered and pressed on vinyl for the first time in over three decades, this limited edition Record Store Day title will feature a psychedelic color LP and exclusive cover art.

hvbias likes this.
  24. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Yeah, they came out with new cover art for this release. The vinyl is a white and purple mix, which might be what they mean by "psychedelic".

I've never heard the original, but this one sounds great.

25. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Green Day - Demolicious

Great pressing as per usual for this year's RSD, nice see-through records, and an absolute winner of an album. This album is proof that over-production can kill an album - it's SO MUCH better than the trilogy that it's ridiculous! It sounds like another Dookie presented this way - the guitars sound so good, the voice isn't excessively forward, and the album just plain ROCKS! It sounds like Greed Day are playing the album in my garage as opposed to the trilogy, where it sounds like they were just laying down tracks. I'm blown away by this album that I had very little expectation of - I almost put it back on the shelf, but decided to hang onto it thankfully! This is the best punky "loud guitar" album of any kind I've heard in years. Great job Green Day, now make sure the regular release of your next album sounds like this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.