Record Store Day 2016 Release Information RSD16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rkellner, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I'm glad there's plenty of the Doors release still available. It's a great live album and the more people who hear it the better. I see some copies of the Sublime release on eBay too which is tempting.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That Sublime sounds great, you won't be disappointed.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  3. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Maybe in the US, but not in Germany. Copies have sold, stores do not have it any longer.

4. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Managed to get The Fall album today from a local shop (The Real New Fall Album) that was the last thing I was looking for.

dynamicalories and gr8trak like this.
  5. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

Evidently, some Slits Grapevine singles made it to the States. Dusty Groove got in 2 last week that I missed out on but my pre-order from Bullmoose was shipped yesterday after it looking like it would just be canceled!

6. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Not in France either. Seems some of the plentiful copies Americans are seeing should have been allocated to Europe !

7. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I don't know if I hadn't looked at the right place or if more copies have gotten in since RSD but the James Brown Revue album is not plentiful at my store. Karmic balance for The Doors perhaps ?

8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Arrived today.
    Well packed and with a copy of Sonic covers by Mudhoney (and guests).
    The Etta sounds pretty damn fine. Little bit more surface noise than I usually encounter.
    But very pleased with both the LPs and the service.

9. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I have a question so basic as to be embarrassing, but I sprang for the RSD repress of Ciccolini's Satie collection, and on the brag sticker it talks of being the 1956 album that "made" Satie. Is it mono? Was much of anything stereo in 1956? Forgive my technical ignorance.

10. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Well I never bought so many things on RSD. Finally this arrived today from Italy in perfect condition. My last item. Once I get it cleaned, I will take a listen. This is definitely a nice looking record, heaviest 7" 45 I have ever seen.
    [​IMG]

Stone Turntable, Turmatic and Jrr like this.
  11. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Somewhere I read this actually was an Italian release ? Anybody have info ?

12. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Latest arrival for me was The Charlatans 'Trouble Understanding' 12". It's a pleasant enough Norman Cook remix of a track from their last album, but the real surprise was the "a Cappella mix" on the b-side. That sounded like just about the least essential thing in the world, but it turned out to be unexpectedly gorgeous.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  13. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Just preordered the Xiu Xiu Twin Peaks subsequent pressing and have Requiem for a Dream coming from leftovers, so my total adds to these two: Doors Live, Plush box set, Planet Rock, Infini, Horses Live, Metallica cd, Flaming Lips cd Lightning Strikes..., and Wrecking Ball. I may add Tusk alternate to this.

14. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

What's the opposite of a 'shout out'? Because that's what I want to do for Cactus Music, supposedly Houston's 'best' music store, who have recently acquired some more copies of the Emmylou RSD 3LP and are charging $60. I paid $44 on the day (from elsewhere), have read that most shops were charging $38-$44ish so $60 just smacks of gouging (as does putting all their Prince cds up to $19).

Jrr, cwd, LeeGriffin and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I can sort of understand the price hike on Emmylou since it's a limited edition(for now) and the stores are allowed some leeway on pricing for RSD items. What's more offensive to me is raising the prices on Prince CD's even though most of them are readily available at standard or bargain prices.

16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

How's that Jimmy Page single?

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Finally located and bought two copies of the Traffic LP!

18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Didn't they have a third??? ;);)

But seriously: How is it? An exact replica of a 196.....errrr....this is from 1968, right? UK original? I have a US first press but I'm interested.

19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

No, they didn't. I'm on my way home with it now. As soon as I get home, I'll open it and report back.

As far as I know, it's pretty authentic, right down to a repro of the pre-pink Island label with the "bullseye" design. However as I own a couple of originals, including a UK Pink Rim in an American sleeve (!) I can tell you that there are differences between the US and UK sleeves. It will be interesting to see which of those two sleeves they have reproduced.

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Home and listening.

The sleeve reproduces the British sleeve (the American had the lyrics as well).

First audio impressions are: pressing is as quiet as can be, sound appears a tad dull in some ways but more detailed in others. Will need to compare with first pressing but really think it appears muffled and undynamic. Hope I'm wrong.

Neonbeam likes this.
  21. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Nice!

I just got my copy in the post last night. Universal did a top notch job on this one!
    The packaging has the right details, and I was very happy to see the original labels reproduced so well.
    According to Discogs, it was pressed at Optimal in Germany, so not surprising the vinyl is flat, on centre, and quiet.
    This was a great find, i stumbled across my copy from an independent on-line retailer, i think they only had the one copy,
    Discogs says the run was limited to only 500. I will likely never own an original, so this will do.

Traffic - Traffic »

jamesmaya likes this.
  22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I like it.Bullmoose had them online here in the States.

jamesmaya likes this.
  23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Very interested in your comments and delighted you're pleased. Agree with your about the cover and labels.

I'm not quite so happy, finding the sound underwhelming and brittle. Perhaps it's me -I'll certainly give it another spin but it lacks the clarity and presence of an original.

There's no doubt of course that a clean pressing as quiet as this one, is highly desirable. Please post more of your thoughts as you have time (and don't let me put you off).

24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Having never heard an original, i can't say how they compare on my system.

It is somewhat maddening to know how difficult it appears to be produce a reissue that matches really well done original records.
    So often it seems they have something special that isn't being captured as modern reissues, even when done with care.
    The irony of course is that things like RSD hype just provide more fuel for the current vinyl market feeding frenzy, pushing
    up prices that make those originals further and further out of reach of longtime collectors...

25. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

To reply to myself (and anyone else who might be interested), I finally found a copy of the Move EP for ten bucks today and it's a nice package and the sound isn't bad considering the source. Seems like this was a pretty limited release and took me quite a while to find in stores. Going to tuck it away with my Fly "Move/Shazam" Toofa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.