Record Store Day 2017 Sound Quality And Music Reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnalogJ, Apr 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well there are Federal Consumer Protection laws. Some are state by state but here is the Federal Law:

Rather, retailers are required to accept returns only if the sold good is defective or if they otherwise break the sales contract. In addition to retailers being required to accept the return of defective items, federal law provides a "Cooling-Off Rule " giving buyers three days to cancel purchases of $25 or more. Under this rule, the right to cancel for a full refund extends until midnight of the third business day after the sale. The rule applies to sales at the buyer's home or workplace, at facilities rented by the seller on a temporary basis, or at locations otherwise away from the seller's normal retail location.

2. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

My copy of the Wes Montgomery release sounds really great. My only gripe is it seems that the last track on each side fades out when Wes is really starting to cook. Why include 2 minutes of a jam at all? Tape flip? Maybe, I dunno. The sound is great for live recording. Wish I had a time machine to see him live. I see the Bill Evans will be out on cd from same label, since I can't find vinyl I may gladly go that route.

3. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

But the performances are night-and-day different.

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Two reports of SQ issues (Discogs) on the Schilling, The US 12 inch for the German edit is still on my buy list. Ridiculous the prices they are asking for this, and it's not even very nice art work

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  5. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Which in your opinion is better?

Terry likes this.
  6. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Cracked Actor, by a country mile. I've always found David Live stiff and lifeless, a chore to listen to. I was astonished that basically the same set, with basically the same arrangements, could sound so much more energized and engaging.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959 Thread Starter

NO NO NO!

The retailer is providing a service and needs to back up their product.

What, if you buy a car and it turns out to be a lemon, the dealer is out of the picture? You think you should have to contact Detroit or Japan?

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959 Thread Starter

I'm not sure the law applies to all purchases.

9. Yeah I'm sure the government excluded vinyl records :tiphat:

havenz likes this.
  10. Crowes72

Crowes72 Forum Resident

Is it at the very beginning of the track? Mine has that as well. Did a second clean and some more deep groove cleaning and it seemed better upon the second and third listen.

11. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

I'm watching the DVD (from the BTR 30th anniversary box) at this moment in 5.1...spine tingling stuff!
    I passed on the vinyl of this, it was/is very available here, because I'll probably always stick with this DVD...but to all who got the vinyl I say well done and enjoy!!!

spindly likes this.
  12. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

I remember some people here (not exactly sure if it's in this particular thread) saying that The Cure Acoustic record actually sounds good comsidering it's a picture disc. One particular comment was that Robert Smiths's vocals on some songs were recorded a bit loud in relation to the back ground instruments but that was just a minor gripe. I remember my bonus cd from years ago sounding exactly like that - vocals a bit loud on some songs but overall a great and enjoyable listen.

13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I found that particularly annoying, fits the RSD picture disc art to a T :laugh:

14. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Agree. To me it is a better listen with headphones at a higher volume. Like most good music it has to be played loud!

15. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I played it the other day and it sounds nice. Nothing earth shattering but it is cool to listen to the whole Cygnus suite on one record.

16. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

17. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

54-40 Dear Dear on red vinyl...don't think it's an actual RSD release, but it sounds fantastic. Very dynamic and natural-sounding.

Sugar Copper Blue, RSD silver, gold and blue coloured 3LP I'd presume sounds pretty much the same as the black version that I've yet to hear. It seems dynamically compressed to my ears.

18. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Yes, but is intermittent for the first minute or so

19. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Join our club: RSD 2017: Art Pepper Quartet, which number do you have?

20. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I looked at that. I can't take seriously any NRBQ comp which has nothing from "At Yankee Stadium" on it.

21. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

The vocals on RSW3 are fine, but the instruments sound like they were picked up ambiently by the vocal mics, buried deep in the background. It's very rough, only for the "buy it because it exists" type.

22. Mr Mojo Risin

Mr Mojo Risin “I’ve been falling so long I thought I was flying”

I snagged the last copy of Acoustic Hits at my record store(lucked out). I was hesitant about the picture disc but it sounds really good. My copy is very quiet. I find Robert's vocals a little hot but still sounds good. I've read about some warping issues but my copy is flat.

23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what they said at Who camp. I'll get my copy later this week.

24. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

That's really helpful, thanks for posting. I have one on hold but have been back and forth on it.

Rekkerds likes this.
  25. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Agree here. His voice is in much better shape as well. Never did like David Live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.