Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

That was 24.50, here!?

2. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Anyone play that McCartney yet?

[​IMG]

3. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

So what's your option on the CASSETTE only release on RSD?

There were many excellent cd releases in the first few RSD, and there are certainly many participating stores that sell cd's, I wasn't aware that RSD is now only restricted to stores that sell vinyl only.

Jim B. likes this.
  4. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I saw that. Didn't buy it.

I would have bought the Marilyn Manson Cassette (that was only available in Europe).

Vinyl Addict and Yayastone like this.
  5. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

6. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Im not sure you are aware of the difference between a record and a record store!

sparkmeister likes this.
  7. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I'm gonna try not to ramble here but this is how my RSD weekend went. I was going to be out of town so would be missing the usual fun at my local shop. The store close to where I was staying during the weekend had no special procedure for RSD so it sounded like it wasn't a real big deal to the store owner. I tried to figure out when I should go there and get in line since he opened at 11AM, his normal time. One of the friends I was staying with drove past the store while he was out for coffee with friends and there was nobody in line yet at 9 o'clock. When I heard that, I figured I'd just not get myself crazy about it and I got there around 10:40 and there were 6 people in front of me. The owner got there around ten minutes later and told us that once we got into the store, he would show all of us what he had and we needed to speak up if we wanted any of the items. If we took one and wanted a second item, we would have to get back at the end of the line. He proceeded to first hold up his leftover items from last year's RSD and had no takers. Then he pulled one carton from under the counter and took the items out. One by one, he held up the things from that box and there were only 2 items I wanted. Somebody in line ahead of me took the only copy of the Smiths 7". He had one "Cracked Actor" but my local guy took a copy of my want list and said he'd try to save me copies of my wants if they were still there after the initial rush at his store. He had texted me while I was in line and told me that so far, he still had "Cracked.." available. I think the only other item he had that somebody spoke up for was the Robert Johnson box. When I got up to the counter, I shuffled through the stack and my eyes just about bugged out when I saw that the "Cracked Actor" set was priced at $99.99! Glad I didn't waste a lot of time on that venture.
    When I got home on Sunday, I went to my local shop and the items I had waiting for me were:
    Floyd "IO"
    Procol "Whiter Shade"
    Blowfly
    Nilsson
    Nuclear Valdez
    Patti Smith 7"
    and "SFF"/"Penny Lane".
    The last "Cracked Actor" had been sold to a walk-in customer which was OK by me. I browsed through what was left and also picked up the War on Drugs 12". I asked how many copies of The Smiths 7" he had received and he sold all of the 4 copies he got but he said that the other local shop may still have one. The other shop is really not a record store. The owner gives music lessons and has a small studio in back so records are an afterthought but he brought in a few items to see how they would sell. My guy called the other store and he had both the Smiths and "Cracked Actor" so I hightailed it there and grabbed them.
    Then there were only 4 things I still wanted so I signed in to Bull Moose on Monday morning to give it my best shot. The Sun Records compilation was gone but they had the other 3 things I wanted. After much waiting for pages to load and many page refreshes, I finally got all three in my cart but then I couldn't get to checkout. By the time the site got me there, the Two Door Cinema Club 12" was no longer available and that put me under the $30 amount for free shipping. I said screw it and after many more attempts, I got the cart to empty and I signed out. I tried the site of a shop in my general area (about 35 minutes away) and they didn't have the Mayer Hawthorne 12" but did have the Two Door Cinema Club and the Temples/Kadhja Bonet split 7" so I browsed a bit more and they had the Turtles LP available for $12.99 so I jumped on that. This morning, I went back to Bull Moose and they still had some Mayer Hawthorne so I ordered that along the Dylan's "Triplicate" on CD which I had been meaning to pick up anyway. And strangely, the Two Door Cinema Club 12" was back as "available" today but I didn't need it any longer. The only thing I didn't find anywhere was the Sun Records comp. I'll just watch for that down the line if one is reasonably priced.
    Well, I did ramble. Sorry, folks.

8. I love rambling but it's easier to read if paragraphs are separated :tiphat:

9. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Point taken.

Mazzy likes this.
  10. Just a personal pet peeve.

11. deadjazz

deadjazz Well-Known Member

Seconds anyone. I went back to my local today and they still had 7 boxes full of goods. Including the Art Pepper #63 or 62 and the Bill Evans. Also they had the NY Decade box. I picked up the Moondog and Sun Ra releases and managed to score the Acid Test (Ken Kesey) online.

12. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Hey, at least your not one of those people that says "would of" instead of "would have". Your good in my books. :wave:

Lorraine and Bob J like this.
  13. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, Squiggsy!

Squiggsy68 likes this.
  14. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Have am email address for that support, Jonboy?

15. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Anyone else pick up this free single?
    My shop had tons of them..
    Not a Misty fan but a free 45 is always great
    Might as well use the paper inner sleeve for the SFF/Penny Lane single :D

[​IMG]

16. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

I'm wondering if they'll be the same exact pressings is as the RSD release ?

17. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

There is a link under a previous post of mine. It's a web form.

18. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I've had a really crazy few months, with illnesses, travel, problems with my son, and launching a show on Netflix all going on, getting ready for my cover band's debut and so on, so RSD has taken a low priority, with me not even knowing what the exclusives would be beforehand. To top it off, we spent the weekend our in the desert, with nary a record store around, so I said screw it this year. But I have an amazing wife who said we shoul try stores on the way home on Sunday, so I stopped in at Mas Platter and Rhino and got:

Big Star Complete Third Vols. 2 and 3
    Moondog - s/t
    NRBQ - High Noon
    The Easybeats - Vigil
    The Music Machine - Talk Talk
    V/A - Nuggets: Come to the Sunshine
    Sun Ra - Janus
    Crushed Butler - Uncrushed

On Monday I hit Record Surplus and got the two Television Personalities albums, which was great, because I didn't even know they had been reissued for RSD and I've been looking for the first one for almost a decade.

Closer to home, Canterbury was a bust, but I did pick up the Nigeria Soul Power 70 7-inch box at Poo-Bah.

The main thing I'm bummed about missing is the Meters set, but I'll just get it on CD.

Didn't see Bowpromo or the Spacemen 3 stuff.

Saw a copy of Robert Johnson, but passed since I have the CD and the two original LPs on vinyl. Probably should have gotten it anyway.

lightbulb and troggy like this.
  19. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Link's 70's albums are some of my favorite records ever. Self-titled and Be What You Want To Be especially.
    Comparing the two RSD releases to my originals - cleaner but less musical, I would say. Having said that, pick up the new copies, they'll be a great entry for you.

Lucretius and hi_watt like this.
  20. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Your?

lightbulb, B. Bu Po, Jim B. and 4 others like this.
  21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

REEL HIM IN, TRINITY!

22. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Gaa! I realized that there are two (2) Records Store Day titles that I haven't found yet: the "Insane Times" double LP comp and the "Test Card Grooves" 10." I'll hunt and peck around the interweb and eventually score these stray items at a reasonable price.

Also probably wouldn't hurt to track down that latest edition of the Congos "Heart Of The Congos" LP. This one and the above two releases were primarily distributed in the UK, with some copies being lightly scattered about the US, I suppose.

23. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Uhhh.... oh nevermind.

Dudley Morris and The Trinity like this.
  24. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

The Sound of Vinyl, correct? Thanks for the info!

25. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I grabbed it as I like the long mix. Feel U Up is edited tho. It sounds good, but probably not any better than the 1989 singles that are out there cheaper used. (Although they might not be quiet. This one was silent.)

Pretty sure you'll be able to grab these for cost or less for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.