Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Thank you for the heads up.

2. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

No worries; I have no idea whether they ship outside the U.K, sadly. Fingers crossed!

3. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Yes they do and I believe I got the last one! Thanks again!

4. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

He owns these records for life? Wow! Maybe he should start thinking about more imaginative reissues then. Is the new "Playing With Fire" embossed? Does it still have the "Cut By George Peckham" credit (lazily copied from the 1988 pressing)?

They also could have used "Recurring"s limited edition sleeve variant - also embossed .

Any. Way. Good to see still so much interest in Spacemen3. Now: Bring on the new Spiritualized album

panasoffkee and oldturkey like this.
  6. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

An initial reaction is usually the truest one - there's no smoke without Fire.
    I don't care what a bean counting lawyer says - this guy scares me and I don't even know him.
    It's crazy that this sort of thing is happening to a band like Spacemen 3 who when they started represented the total opposite of this sort of crap.
    They should own their own art.

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:righton: I agree with you on the sound quality of the Randy Newman box. It's my favorite RSD 2017 purchase.

Re: the album poster (b/w studio photo of Newman at the piano) - that's actually the insert for "Sail Away". The insert that was originally packaged with the "12 Songs" lp was a lyrics sheet. Funny thing is, for this RSD box, someone goofed and stuffed the Sail Away insert into the 12 Songs album jacket. So, I got duplicates of that insert, but no lyrics sheet for 12 Songs. I'll have to email Randy or Len. :cussing:

You know how pop music artists nowadays take years in between albums. I think Randy Newman started that trend. :D

DrJ and sonofjim like this.
  8. Neonbeam

Haha, no smoke without Fire indeed.

But I guess this kind of thing is typical for inexperienced young artists signing contracts without reading the fine print. Especially when you are taking drugs to make music to take drugs to.

But somebody's clearly been to the Allen Klein School Of Business School.

Has anybody actually heard this new RSD versions and compared them to Fire originals??????

oldturkey likes this.
  9. LivingForever

10. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

LivingForever likes this.
  11. clarknovember

clarknovember Well-Known Member

Norman Records weren't allowed to participate on the day but have some releases today too. They are a really good online store: Record Store Day 2017

12. clarknovember

clarknovember Well-Known Member

P.S. How many Peter Hook LPs are going to be kicking around sales bins in U.K. record shops this year :D

13. LivingForever

Ha! Lots I reckon... there were some other things they had a ton of in my local store as well which I think might be there until next RSD. The Sting EP (which I might have bought for half the price), the Sia live thing (ditto), Aqua's Aquarium!

Nightswimmer likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

Did you actually see any? I was wondering only recently because that's exactly the stuff left in the bins once the RSD Parade has moved on. But I didn't see a single one in Berlin.

What's still there is the "Heaven On Earth" picture disc. Belinda Carlisle and RSD... oooh....was it 2014?

Just checked and.... there are actually SEVEN Peter Hook releases for RSD 2017. Now.... 7 is supposed to be a magic number but....

15. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

My Newman box arrived yesterday and I'm really excited about it. I've only had time to spin Good Old Boys so far but it sounds great to me. I noticed the duplication of the Sail Away insert. I've never had 12 Songs so I wasn't sure if it even had an insert. I kept the insert in both LPs. It's a unique quirk of this set that gives it a little extra character.

jamesmaya likes this.
  16. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

I just noticed that my local store had listed one copy of the Monk box for 54€. I had to grab it immediately. I was planning to get it through Sam Records site today for 65€ plus shipping so this worked out so great for me! :)

Vinyl_Blues and macdaddysinfo like this.
  17. LivingForever

My record store week came to an end last night at 00:02, then, as I snagged my copy of Cracked Actor from an online shop in the U.K.

It's been a fun week actually - I'll give you a quick run down.

Saturday- the big day! I was in Salem, Massachusetts and so I popped along to Record Exchange there. Admittedly I didn't get there until about lunchtime, but they didn't have anything RSD left that I was after.

Still, I had a lovely chat with the owner who played a little trick on me by pretending to recognise my Kentish accent, to my amazement, before letting on that he noticed I'd liked their FB page the night before. However it turned out he knew people in Canterbury and had been several times, so we talked about the record stores there and one guy who ran a stall who was apparently a roadie for Caravan... then we bought a couple of beat up old LPs to play at the hotel and went on our merry way.

Sunday - Boston, MA- went into Newbury Comics at Quincy / Faneuil late in the day and was surprised to be able to pick up the Floyd Interstellar Overdrive 12" so easily, as well as the Rush Cygnus X-1 EP and the Field Music Tones of Town yellow vinyl LP. Had a bit of a dilemma at this point, since I was going to end up paying more for these than in the UK *plus* having to transport them home on the plane - but didn't want to risk not getting them at all, so went for it.

Since I'd not found the Ben Folds live WASO album at all by this point, I checked it Discogs for a U.K. Seller and ended up buying a copy for a few pounds more than retail right there and then so that I could relax...

Back home in the U.K., on Thursday evening I made the short trip to Banquet Records in Kingston-Upon-Thames and filled my boots with things which were less essential to me but still nice to have:

Sun Ra- Discipline 27-II LP
    Mew - Frengers clear vinyl LP
    Air- Le Soleil 12"
    Joe Jackson - Fools in Love live 10"
    Elbow - August and September 7" one sided
    Lindstrom/Erot - Closing Shot / Song for Annie 7"
    Feeder - Forget About Tomorrow / Just the Way I'm Feeling 7" white vinyl
    Muse - Reapers 7" pic disc (RSD 2016)

But I was still not sated... notably Cracked Actor and Elton John were eluding me. Some phone calls and Instagram stalking led me to understand that a couple of shops which weren't within a sensible drive still had stock on both these items, but would they last until the online sales started...

Friday, 11:57pm, chez moi- trying to watch "13 Reasons Why" on Netflix and refreshing my laptop screen obsessively -YES!! Both EJ and DB will be mine thanks to Resident Brighton and Transmission Margate.

Saturday 12:02am - step away from the credit card now, James.

:D

18. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Plenty! And not only in the UK!

19. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Oh no! Those sold well here!

20. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Thank you. It looks like I was able to order the Pink Floyd 12" for a somewhat reasonable price. I won't get my hopes up too much since I had ordered Cracked Actor last week somewhere online only to receive an e-mail telling me they had just sold their last copy.

21. ScottInDallas

ScottInDallas Forum Resident

I'm still trying to hunt down a reasonably priced copy of the Alice In Chains 2 x 7". Prices on eBay are.... well... going to stop by a few stores today just to check...

22. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

RSD has turned into online shopping week. I have now found everything I wanted except the Grateful Dead release. Could get the Dead on ebay but hoping it comes down a bit. Bought online in US, Holland, and UK at ok prices. Got the Doors lp at their website.

POGunter and ODShowtime like this.
  23. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

Thelonious Monk - Liaisons Dangereuses 1960 now in stock at Sam Records web store! :righton:

24. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Damn i just missed out on 2 UK stores for The Congos Heart of the Congos and no one is selling it on discogs. This is my white whale. Does anyone in the UK on here see this in shop still.

25. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Amoeba SF has one copy of the Art Pepper. $25.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.