Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

This is the 2017 thread.....

rediffusion, tingly, havenz and 2 others like this.
  2. FOXALIVE

FOXALIVE New Member

Tell me about Alice's single "What The Hell Have I / Get Born Again".
    Is it better than CD? How it sounds?
    Please, people.
    Buy or beware?

3. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

I still love Grace. Couldn't find the McCartney quote but here is Morrissey's 13 Greatest Albums of all time.. and this is coming from a bitter person who claims to have the best taste... but then he has the Smoking Popes on his list too...
    Morrissey’s 13 Favorite Albums Of All Time

I also know certain copies of "Grace" on vinyl still sell for a pretty penny.

It's Felix likes this.
  4. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

You are not alone.

Jrr likes this.
  5. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I think it is a pretty decent sound but I am no expert. It sounds good to my ears and it is well worth having on vinyl. I can't compare it to the CD however.

6. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Better discussing in the proper thread, not last years Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

tingly and spartanmanor like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

8. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Good link

9. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

What did Bowie know! :)

10. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

Where was I when you posted these 2 years ago? I just received my copy of the 10" from Amazon.uk and am disappointed because I was expecting it to be on glow in the dark vinyl, which is the main reason why I purchased it. My copy is on clear vinyl despite the hype sticker saying that it is on Luminous vinyl. Is yours clear too?

My interest in the film is rekindled because of this record. Shout Factory is releasing it on blu-ray this summer, maybe this is what will push me to finally get a blu-ray player!

11. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Did anyone here grab Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Hammersmith Odeon, London '75 2017 RSD LP? Was it an upgrade from the CD version? Was the complimentary download hi-res or 16/44.1? Thanks!

12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I can't say for sure, but I have other Springsteen albums and the vinyl sounded quite a bit better than the CD. Robert Ludwig has been doing the mastering for vinyl.

bbanderic likes this.
  13. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I have the non-RSD LP, I don't have the CD to compare but the LP sounds very good indeed. It fills in the incomplete picture of Live 1975/85, which except for Thunder Road from the Roxy begins with 1978.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    bbanderic likes this.
  14. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Is the non-RSD one 4LP’s?

15. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Affirmative, and to answer your other question it does come with a download.

bbanderic likes this.
  16. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I have the RSD, sounds tremendous. I have the DVD from the 30th BTR, I have not A/B them.

bbanderic likes this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’ve compared the vinyl to the CD, the DVD and the mp3 downloads - and IMO the vinyl was better than the digital versions (which are all the same except the resolution).

And IIRC it wasn’t just a vinyl vs digital thing. They sounded like different masterings. The vinyl was a bit more dynamic, open and rich. More bottom and less top. Less fatiguing and easier to listen to at louder volume.

AFAIK there is no difference between the RSD and non-RSD vinyl pressings.

18. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I have the CD and the DVD (BTR box), while mastered on the loud side, I still think they sound very good. I’ll have to check the CD, not sure who mastered it. I know the vinyl was mastered by Ludwig and the consensus seems to be very positive as a noticeable upgrade to the CD so I ordered the vinyl set from Amazon U.K. for $48 shipped global priority to the U.S., looking forward to hearing it. Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated!

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I didn’t say the digital was bad. I just said the vinyl was different and better.

The vinyl jacket may say Ludwig mastered the vinyl, but he didn’t. He hasn’t mastered vinyl in many, many years. They just used the CD artwork and copy.

I don’t have my vinyl copy at the moment, but now that I’m thinking about it IIRC it was cut by Chris Bellman (however I could be wrong). It sounds to me like he also did some mastering and didn’t just cut from the Ludwig master.

20. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I didn’t think you said the digital was bad although I may have come across that way, many here do though and I don’t quite agree with them although there is room for improvement. If the vinyl is different and better then it’ll be worth the purchase, looking forward to it.

As far as Lugwig mastering the vinyl I thought it was mentioned that he did and if they copy and pasted wrong info on the jacket that would be a shame. I’m sure we’ll figure out the correct info with more research and time.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Trust me, 100% chance the vinyl was not cut by Bob Ludwig. Vinyl jackets using CD artwork is not at all uncommon.

Now maybe it was cut “flat from Ludwig’s master”, but it sure doesn’t sound it to me. And honestly Chris Bellman is the equal of Ludwig - and IMO his work is more consistently great these days than Ludwig’s (Ludwig has a studio to run and does what his clients want. I had a friend who had Gateway master some of his his stuff - and they basically gave him three choices - little, medium or heavy compression).

Not much research is needed. If the vinyl has his unique “CB” in the dead wax - and my memory is it does - that’ll tell you he cut it.

superstar19 and bbanderic like this.
  22. AnalogJ

Ludwig hasn't mastered using analog tapes in a while, but he can create digital masters used for others to do the cutting.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes I know this - I wrote as much in the post above yours.

24. AnalogJ

Oops. I misread your post. Sorry about that.

marcb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.