Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

The Soupy Sales Box Set looks interesting..

2. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Even if I didn't have a turntable or had never taken an interest in RSD before, I would think the new Jason Isbell album of covers and the previously unreleased Bowie live album were two things I had to have in my collection, somehow, regardless of format. I think those are two examples of things that will attract "newcomers." But you may have a different picture of newcomers in your mind than I do. (I realize this may not be the type of forum where Isbell gets a lot of love, but he has an audience.)

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't know. Why don't you ask the people I see in the queues all around town and in the store trying to buy stuff and the ones in the photos from other towns, the ones buying stuff on ebay/discogs because they missed out, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Tired and bloated...yet thousands upon thousands still show up to buy...of course you think it's tired and bloated, nothing you want, when once there was. So yeah I can see why you might think that. But it doesn't mean it is.

Who knows. Maybe this is the year that everyone just stays home because they decided it's "tired and bloated".

bootbox and Vinyl Addict like this.
  4. Probably a typo as the same Gram album is listed a couple releases above. It's obviously Nilsson

5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I think I do have a different idea of what appeals to newcomers than you, because to me, "live album" = fan bait. The Jason Isbell covers record is probably more appealing to fans that casual listeners, too. In the case of the Bowie album, I'll probably pick that up, because I'm a Bowie fan and I have everything else he's done, but all the same, it's not something I have a huge amount of excitement for. If they were finally releasing Toy, I'd be all about that, and I think an unreleased Bowie studio album coming out on RSD would generate a lot of attention. Similarly, finally putting the Miley Cyrus / Flaming Lips album out on vinyl would generate a lot of interest. I'd love to know who drives the decisions on the RSD releases, whether it's coming from the labels or their input from the RSD team, if some of it is artist preference, etc. Obviously, they can't please everyone with everything they release, but last couple times, some of the releases actually seem more geared toward collectibility than anything else. That said, now that I've seen more of what's on the list, there's more I'm interested in for this RSD than Black Friday. More Bill Evans is never a bad thing.

SteveCooks likes this.
  6. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

FOMO

7. Msebb

Msebb Member

Any updates Lists that have the jaco/Evans resonance releases? Haven't seen those two on any lists just on their websites

8. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

If the Bowie album came out this Friday it would sell as many copies as it will on RSD.......

e.s. likes this.
  9. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Can you share which 4 stores those are so I don't waste my time chasing around to them?

10. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

What no canabis vinyl?
    Thanks for the info:)

11. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

sure CD Cellar, RTX, The Exchange, SOM all will do it limited if they follow previous years.....

the only store that will have absolutely everything will be blue groove sounds in arlington but expect to pay a premium....although come to think of it crooked beat will probably have everything too at their new alexandria location...mobius is also a good spot probably... can't speak for red onion or joint custody (i would guess if they get anything good they will resell it on ebay for a premium)

12. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Not sure why you make "fans" and "newcomers" into mutually exclusive categories. Most fans of most artists are still newcomers, or potential newcomers, to RSD. I don't think the idea of RSD is to have its primary appeal to "casual listeners" who don't care about any acts at all.

13. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Can anyone recommend the best places to hit for RSD in Seattle? Preferably that open on the early side? Just realized I will be in Seattle for this RSD (presenting a paper at the EMP conference) instead of my usual L.A., but I have no knowledge of the record store scene there at all. Yes, I'm already eager to stake out a plan!

14. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Honest question, why is it that Big Star always have something listed on RSD. They had like three studio albums. It seems like every year there's something out by them.
    Meanwhile there's so many other albums that need to be released.

e.s. likes this.
  15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

"Newcomers" implies "new," i.e., new to Record Store Day, new to record stores, new to vinyl, however you want to slice and dice it. In other words, people – and yes, perhaps they are "fans" – who haven't been buying a lot of records. My point is that those "newcomers" – fans of an artist though they may be – are likely less interested in a from-the-vault-live-release than someone who has the whole back catalogue. Are there exceptions? Sure, but my guess is that, by and large, someone just getting into buying David Bowie records is going to want something that sounds familiar, as opposed to an archival live release with different presentations of the songs that made them interested in Bowie's music.

16. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Thanks. My experience has been that SOM, Red Onion, and Joint Custody always have a limited selection both in number of titles and number of copies of each title. Yes, Crooked Beat will probably have everything as they usually do but they're also usually $2.00 - $3.00 more per title than other stores. It will be interesting to see how it goes at their new location. When they were in Adams Morgan, people would start lining up at 2:00 AM after the bars closed. Alexandria cops may not allow that in their quaint little burb.

jlf likes this.
  17. Msebb

Msebb Member

I will also be in a different city for RSD, I live in New Mexico but will be in Atlanta. I know there are plenty of stores and I'll be closest to wax n facts and criminal records. Which would anyone here recommend if they have experience with either store on RSD? I've been to small town stores in the 4 corners with 5 people lined up and bigger stores with a hundred lined up. I prefer the 5 person lines lol.

18. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Omnivore just keeps repackaging Third over and over again.

mooseman likes this.
  19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Easy st in west Seattle, silver platters in sodo, everyday music on Capitol Hill, sonic boom in Ballard. There are a ton of other stores that participate, but I think these are your best bets overall.

Jerry James likes this.
  20. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Maybe you're right... but, just from personal experience, I doubt it. It was things that were exclusive to vinyl that brought me into RSD and a renewed interest in vinyl in general. RSD didn't catch my eye because it offered the chance to buy recordings I already own in a different format. Obviously, that is a big appeal for audiophiles or potential audiophiles, but people become exposed to that aspect of collecting through friends or blogs or other means than news coverage about RSD releases. If you're an average Sia fan with no previous interest in analog vs. digital or anything like that, do you really think that a reissue of an old album on LP is going to be the thing that finally piques your interest, as opposed to something with format-exclusive content? Well, I know what your answer is to that, but I just don't think you're looking at it through the eyes of the unconverted.

21. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Thank you!

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Everyday Music(capitol hill) or Silver Platters(SoDo) depending on hotel proximity. RSD site should have a complete list of participating WA stores.

I think some kind of 1974 live box is coming. HD Cracked Actor footage has been done and had a couple minutes about that tour int he last five years doc. They have 2 NYC 1974 shows on video and only about a minute has ever surfaced. IMO, the stuff Bowie wanted out after he died. I don't even know if H-Bowl was multitracked.

NUNZI likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I've seen a Doors Matrix listed, 1LP $20. I'm guessing it's the same as a box set teaser from the master tape.

24. prospinna

prospinna Member

Bingo.

One possibility is that certain labels get RSD preference and are allowed/encouraged to churn out more crap each year from the same limited catalog.

mooseman likes this.
  25. prospinna

prospinna Member

Yes. Newly-Mastered by Bruce Botnick, the historic engineer for The Doors, from recently discovered, original master tapes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.