Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I think I was actually in violation of an unwritten (written) rule in regards to spelling so, I'm sorry.

It's just Dolly..

My daughters middle name is Jolene..

thxphotog likes this.
  2. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

And charge $24.99

Adam9, andrewskyDE, AidanB and 6 others like this.
  3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The Black Friday Record Store Day was the first RSD I didn't attend since 2010, as almost nothing appealed to me. I knew I'd be able to get the Kinks EPs after the fact and the Otis Redding live album was the only other thing I really wanted. Got that later, too. That said, I'm frankly ready more releases a little more imaginative than the '60s and '70s on an infinite loop. There's a wealth of material from the '90s / '00s that could be released on vinyl, '80s too. It just doesn't make sense to keep churning through the same classic rock reissues.

4. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Someone should quickly start a punk rock group called Dolly Pardon, slam an lp together and press 5000 copies on psychedelic slime colored vinyl -the band could only exist for this RSD but the price for the lp will be $40 and include a mystery prize inside (popsickle sticks, napkins from fast food restaurants or otherwise worthless crap.)
    Slap on a catchy title like 'Bob's Yer Uncle' and Sally's your aunt.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  5. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

that was a really accurate description of the RSD!

btw, we are expecting The Doors - Live At The Matrix Vinyl LP this time

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

and there would be only one song and that one song will be nothing more than the singer shouting out the list of things people hate about RSD :)

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

One person's "doesn't make sense" is a labels "still makes us money" :)

I find those era's of collecting, especially the 90's, have some of difficult and expensive titles. I'm sure there's a good list of product to choose from but it seems the labels would rather stick to sure bets for the most part.

8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

You'd probably return it to the store with a sour look and tell them that the logo on the napkin was placed off-center. :p

Ricardo Cosinaro likes this.
  9. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Thing is, though, a lot of those "sure bets" are the things that don't sell and make people think twice about going out to support the event.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  10. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I am promising myself that I will wait a month or so and not pay overinflated prices on anything I really need.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

With an increase in participation and titles being released I'd say the amount of people dropping out (at least up until last year) is far lower than those opting in. No idea what this year will be like and there could be a turn around but I think that is unlikely.

We've all been on this marry go round before. In any given RSD list I can pick out a bunch of albums I think are useless that others would disagree with.

Besides how many of those sure bets didn't actually sell, especially in comparison to everything else that did sell? I'm a label, I release 20 titles, 18 of which are hits, 1 are duds. Am I really going to be that upset if I still made money? Probably not because I know I'm not always going to hit it out of the ballpark.

There's a lot anecdotal evidence about left over titles in the bins lingering but I also see titles that were desirable in the bins from past RSDs.

Where I think the whole sure bets not selling really applies are to stores that bring them in and wind up with stock they can't move and in that regard, yeah there's been stores dropping out. But I don't know how many or how many have opted in, year on year.

It's unfortunate that there isn't more data available to us.

12. Mrs. Beeton

Mrs. Beeton Active Member

Are the Kinks re-issued ep series done?

13. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

funny we haven't heard of any releases yet, doesnt the list come out this month?

14. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think normally four weeks before RSD, so maybe 22/23 Of this month

15. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I hope the Jason Isbell covers set gets a CD release as well.

16. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

The list for 2017 is out on March 21st, according to this retweet from RSD in the UK.
    Outpost on Twitter

17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Maybe she passed gas.

18. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Several years ago, RSD had an enjoyable full band live 3CD set by Crowded House, entitled "North American Travelogue." They were quality factory pressed replicated silver CDs with environmentally-conscious artwork/packaging. This was a great formula which I'd hoped would be used for future RSD releases by other artists and from all music genres, but the concept seemed to get lost in the shuffle.
    [​IMG]

mjb, Gardo, bholz and 8 others like this.
  19. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

I look forward to "Any kind of crowd" - 7-inch LP single from Filthy Friends (Corin Tucker, Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey, Kurt Bloch, Bill Rieflin): Filthy Friends | Kill Rock Stars

Synthfreek likes this.
  20. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

My number 1 wish: Velvet Underground Complete Matrix Tapes vinyl

Not holding my breath, though.

polchik likes this.
  21. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

From another thread... I believe this Cheap Trick LP of rarities will be available on RSD
    CLEAR SPOT

22. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I'm still very surprised there hasn't been a leaked list yet...

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  23. This is the year for the "Scream Thy Last Scream (original mix)"/"Vegetable Man" 7" on pink marble vinyl with a snazzy pic sleeve and download code. Make it happen, gents!

24. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The new Hendrix Dagger release is scheduled as a 2 LP set for RSD.

Sean likes this.
  25. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

This is a great sounding set! Captures the bass of a true live performance, plus the music itself is amazing.

Drew

bholz and melstapler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.