Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Does anyone know why RSD is so rock & pop heavy? Do they not like Jazz, Reggae...

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Out last week in the UK I think, saw it on the shelves

3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Yeah the Meters are big for me and finding their original LPs is expensive when it's even possible ... and ditto to whomever said thanks for that Toussaint release last year. That is a GREAT show.

troggy likes this.
  4. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

RSD reflects the state of the market, obviously.
    That said, there are a fair number of jazz releases every time (ORG always seem to have something, for instance).
    Edit : a quick look shows releases by Charles Mingus, Arche Shepp, Jim Hall, Martial Solal, Miles Davis, Oscar Peterson, Sonny Rollins and Thelonious Monk.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Grow Fins likes this.
  5. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

6. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yup, it's out – I bought a copy at the HMV on Oxford Street.

7. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I noticed unreleased Bill Evans, Dexter Gordon and a couple of Sun Ra titles, and that's just what particularly appealed to me. Rock and pop is the mass market; jazz is a tiny niche. Of course the RSD releases will reflect this.

Mister President and Grow Fins like this.
  8. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

It was on the Bullmoose site last night.
    Artwork looked blah. Not Hugh Syne's best work. I love Rush but not seeing the appeal of this one.

9. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

I did not see that in the list - is that the other 7" in the set? Those two are great tracks for sure. They also are on the Music Bank box, so not immediately essential for me, but including them would make the set far more appealing for me...

That said, my AiC stuff is all on CD, and I probably should spend what they're asking for this on the excellent Sap/Jar of Flies reissue...

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  10. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Ah, OK. That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping for a gritty retro look with some old photos on the insert or something. The original gatefold packaging of Farewell and Hemispheres is outstanding as it is.

11. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Okay does anyone really believe the price retailers are putting out on the ELP - Brain Salad Surgery single??

12. Mister President

Thanks for telling me...I don't think I could make it through the whole list.

13. Mister President

Thanks for highlighting...I'm going for the Jazz.

14. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

There has been tons of Jazz in the past, not so much this year.

15. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Actually looking through he list again plenty of jazz.

If anything considering market demand I would say jazz might be slightly over represented.

I would like more reggae though. The Lee Scratch Perry set from a few years ago still ranks as my favorite blind buy ever.

16. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

It's hard to respond to stuff like this.

You don't tell us what the price is. Where are you getting the price?

You don't tell us if you think it's too high, not high enough...

17. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I thought people would look at prices of all of the RSD stuff. I have seen the price on bullmoose, zia records and another website that had it as $132-$140. To me this is ridiculous (high).

18. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I seem to recall the RSD release of this has some deluxe packaging. Or perhaps I imagined that, since the lists I've looked at from Germany, the Netherlands, the UK, France, Japan and the USA are starting to blur together :yikes:

Mister President likes this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yeah. There were supposedly only 5000 copies of his clear vinyl Blackstar album and that didn't sell out for months, so I have always believed that the number actually manufactured was much greater. I remember that a couple months after it went on sale on his website, they started selling an "exclusive" clear vinyl at Barnes & Noble, so I bought that as well assuming that it must be different, but they ended up being identical, at least as far as I can tell.

20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Yep, it's all four non-album tracks... What The Hell Have I, A Little Bitter, Get Born Again, and Died.
    The Sap/JOF reissue isn't going OOP anytime soon. It's been available for many years. That said, you definitely should grab it at some point. (I have an OP, but I've heard the reissue is nice.) Less essential is Dirt... Not a bad mastering, but it's a long album for one record and there's definite room for improvement.

Sean and Grow Fins like this.
  21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I like a lot of the items on the list. The only one I really want is the Emmylou Harris box, as I don't have any early albums on vinyl. I really enjoyed the Wrecking Ball vinyl they released last year, I think, even though it was expensive here in Japan (over $60 as I recall). I suspect that the box will be easy to buy, since Cheap Trick's box was also limited to 1000 and that was around for months.

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I think you're leaving out a pretty important part of this story...

23. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

WHAT???
    Are we talking about the same "Limited Clear Vinyl" of Blackstar?
    David Bowie - ★ (Blackstar)
    David Bowie - ★ (Blackstar)

Cuz I remember that it went on sale Friday... Bowie died on Sunday... and by Monday, people were asking for (and getting) $300+ on eBay. Not sure two days counts as "months."
    Also, Blackstar is perhaps the WORST example you can use for a "See, 5000 copies is gonna be plenty and it's not like you'll still have to pay $250 a year after release" argument. (See prices above.)

AZRunner and e.s. like this.
  24. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

So you asked the forum why there was little jazz but didn't actually look through the list to find the jazz?

Sean, Jim B., AZRunner and 2 others like this.
  25. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Which set is this Ridernyc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.