Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everythingmusic

everythingmusic New Member

Personally, I think it is all way over hyped and a lot of re-releases sugar-wrapped, I go for "The Shaggs", that is undoubtedly the koolest thing they ever marketed, how many agree?

2. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Apparently there are some different versions on the current (1990) CD version than the original vinyl (and presumably original CD?). I'd be curious which ones are used on this release.

"The Old Laughing Lady" - slightly shorter edit on current CD
    "Down By the River" - likewise
    "Like a Hurricane" - the original vinyl featured an alternate vocal take; the current CD used the standard American Stars 'n Bars version

matt79rome89 likes this.
  3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

All of those Emmylou Harris albums are extremely easy to find, usually in great condition, for mere dollars a piece.

panasoffkee likes this.
  4. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

RUSH
    Cygnus X-1

That above - is copy and pasted right from the RSD page... I saw it there this morning... I don't know what that website is that you linked to - but if you go to the RSD official page the Rush is listed under release for Aprill 22...

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

maybe he's confused? I'm not sure, but I think bowie's website had the clear vinyl as a pre order, so maybe that didn't sell out initially. as soon as bowie died it was gone gone gone though. I lucked out and snagged a clear barnes and noble copy, but it was just sitting on the shelf sealed so I got rid of it a month ago. I still managed to get 250 out of it.

6. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

The Blackboard Jungle 10" set. I know there has been debate about the sound quality, but I had never heard it before, it's a gorgeous set, and I got it for like $25.

Something I probably never would have discovered if it hadn't been right in my face at a good price for RSD. Now it's one of my favorite albums.

leeroy jenkins likes this.
  7. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Someone upthread said that there would be something to make Who fans very happy. Where'd it go? No Who or related on the list.

8. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Yes, you certainly wouldn't want someone confusing you with JAG posting in a Yes thread.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

No, I meant that when they first put up for pre-ordering on his website (maybe early November, I can't remember?), they said 5000 copies worldwide so most fans assumed it would sell out immediately based on experience with other similarly limited Bowie releases. But as I recall, the presale never sold out and they even put it up for preorders at Barnes & Noble. It just didn't seem even remotely possible that they wouldn't sell out a limited to 5000 vinyl pressing of a new Bowie album. There must have been many more pressed.

Obviously, they all sold out when he died, but 5000 copies of a new Bowie album would have sold out immediately (even if he hadn't died).

10. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Thanks. I see it now, near the bottom.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I see. Well, I won't pay a fortune for it, but if it's in the $100 range, it looks like a really nice item. More so than some colored vinyl or picture disc of an album I already have.

12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The small faces at the BBC sounds interesting.

I've got the CD , but would like to see the vinyl as well.

e.s. likes this.
  13. I think both the Emmylou and Randy Newman boxes are $100 each.

I think it's great new copies will be available for a limited time.

14. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

It's $95 on Bullmoose.

15. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Hey I am famous, want an autograph? Speaking of yes did anyone notice that pic disc of 90125? now that is a piece of record store day crap that will sit around in shops until the end of time. who would want that? and why?

16. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Cool thanks!

17. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

Hooverphonic's first three LP reissues were RSD debuts and hit the US stores. So I'm hoping this one does as well!

18. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I love those two tracks and would very much like to have them on vinyl, but I wish it was being released as a 12 inch single instead of a 45. I don't know what it is, but I just don't have much interest in collecting 7 inch singles these days.

19. mjb

mjb Senior Member

You might be confusing "famous" and "infamous", but c'est la vie.

20. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I see you are racing to try to get your post count up and get into the classifieds. Master of the quick one sentence posts.

cwd likes this.
  21. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Zing!

22. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

That's great but does anyone know how to buy Holland RSD releases without going to Holland? Is there a good Dutch record store to order from?

23. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

These Bill Evans albums for example.
    Can't they spice things up a bit?
    Of course the music speaks for itself but part of the greatness of vinyl is the artwork..right?
    These just have that public domain art quality "NOT NOW MUSIC" delivers..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

With that type of stuff they clearly go for era specific retro covers. These are actually somewhat fancier then they normally do. That's jsut what a Bill Evans album looks like and the decided to stick with that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

When I tried to order from the DB website prior to the album release, there were none of the clear vinyl copies available. I had left it late because (stupidly) I wasn't sure if it would be any good. After hearing the track 'Blackstar' when it was made available, I realised my mistake but it was too late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.