Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

"Good Vibrations"/"Heroes and Villains" in 2011, in advance of the Smile Sessions set. Not even remotely period accurate, either as a single (the two songs were never paired together originally) or as a 78 (I don't believe any Beach Boys single was ever released as a 78).

Rekkerds and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

lol. But why? Originally, back in 1962, it wasn't released in 78rpm, not even their Candix single 'Surfin'.

Ah, I think I remember that. Yep, that was weird.

3. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I have a turntable which plays 78's. The only question that I have is whether I need to use a 78 RPM stylus to play this 78 RPM EP or whether it was cut with standard microgrooves????? Does anyone know?

Dave Simms likes this.
  4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

It was just standard microgroove. I needle-dropped mine at 45 and adjusted the speed to 78 in Audacity. Sounded fine.

5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

There were some 78 releases overseas. Very rare and hard to find.

ArneW likes this.
  6. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Velvet Underground - Loaded came out on RSD two years running 2 or 3 years back, one was pink and the other black/

7. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Regarding all those listed live albums (Gun Club, Graham Parker, etc.) on the Let Them Eat Vinyl label. I'm guessing they're all old radio broadcasts that have been bootlegged for years and now they're being slapped on vinyl. Can anyone confirm or refute? Anyone familiar with that label and how they operate?

8. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Kinda interested in those 70s rock singles and the Peter Hook stuff...

9. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Fcuking wow. If this is indicative of the offerings for this year, then maybe it really is time they gave up.

Jaffboy151 and Tommyboy like this.
  10. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

That wasn't on the list someone posted a link to, but it was on the list I just looked at today. Get about $80 ready for that one. That list also didn't have a bunch of stuff I saw, like the Kinks singles and the Hendrix lp, or the SRV Carnegie Hall lp, among others...

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

My opinion is that they are a grey label releasing radio broadcasts legally because they are pressed in a European country that allows someone to take a public broadcast and sell it for profit without paying anything back to the artist. Mind you that this is the European list. These liky will not be on an official U.S. RSD list.

12. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

That list floating around is definitely European and most likely only a partial list. I still have low hopes for much of interest but let's hold out the full list should be up within the week

BeardedSteven likes this.
  13. Vapour

Vapour Forum Resident

SRV Carnegie Hall was re-issued last year on MOV (Music on Vinyl).

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

They are a legitimate label and have released many licensed reissues, they have officially reissued albums by The Stranglers and The Damned among others.

15. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Im down for the Jonestown double disc..

16. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I just heard a rumor that Pearl Jam will release a 7" for State Of Love And Trust/Breath limited to 500 copies for RSD.

Joe Spivey and Larry Loves LPs like this.
  17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

... and I'm not able to play 78s ... or 16s, for that matter.

18. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Pretty Things French Ep set looks good

marmil likes this.
  19. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I read the same thing on the Pearl Jam forums and it seems that it's actually limited to 5,000, not 500 as originally reported. My guess is it's being released to promote the reissue of the Singles OST.

JasonA likes this.
  20. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

That unofficial list is tragic. I don't see a single title of interest. There is one that is coming but it's not on that list, but I still hope the final list has at least something else of interest.

e.s. likes this.
  21. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I would have thought a Turtles boxset would get people here drooling with excitement. The Stooges' Heavy Liquid as well.
    What gives ?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  22. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I would be down for those Television Personalities LPs but that list is surely a UK/ EU list. I can't imagine there's really a market for those here...

granata likes this.
  23. I'm in for the Madrigal album if it's a reissue of the one privately-released LP recorded in a basement by the whacked-out early '70s psychotic acid rock/folk duo of that name.

24. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Fun Fun Fun / Little Honda was released as a 78 in India in 1965.

25. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

Regardless of what is finally released, I will still go out and offer support to our local record shops, in addition to the musicians themselves, via purchases. I think folks are a little too married to what is released in my opinion. I view it as a success of vinyl, that little is left to be excitedly released on RSD. a lot of good stuff has already been put out, vinyl-wise, in the last ~10 yrs...in my opinion again. We will go out, browse and buy things that may or may not have been released that RSD-day in simply support of my local record shop!

agn, Vinyl_Blues, granata and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.