Record Store Day Black Friday, 11/28/2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey folks! This is my first thread here--an all-purpose thread for bitchin' and moanin' or even enjoying this year's Black Friday event.

Here is the info we know so far, thanks to the great Wax Poetics blog at http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com. All credit for this list goes to the person who runs that page.

OFFICIAL RELEASES (CONFIRMED):
    COMPACT DISCS (info from new-vinyl.blogspot.com):

CASSETTES (info from new-vinyl.blogspot.com):

• [EXCLUSIVE] Various Artists--Awesome Mix Vol. 1 (Guardians of the Galaxy)

7" SINGLES (info from new-vinyl.blogspot.com):
    • [EXCLUSIVE] Decemberists New Single (off forthcoming new album) w/exclusive b-side (track details forthcoming)
    • Desclous, Lizzy Mercier Fire b/w a rare session featuring Lizzy & PATTI SMITH reciting a bilingual version of Arthur Rimbaud's poem Morning High, set to music by Bill Laswell.
    • Kweller, Ben It Ain't Christmas Yet b/w Here Comes Santa Claus
    • Oberst, Conor Standing on the Outside Looking In b/w Sugar Street (2 unreleased tracks from the Upside Down Mountain recording session)

10" SINGLES/EPs (info from new-vinyl.blogspot.com):

• Bowie, David Sue (Or In A Season of Crime) b/w 'Tis A Pity She's A Whore (New 2014 songs from Nothing Has Changed collection)
    • [EXCLUSIVE] Davis, Miles Engima 10" (From Blue Note, features 4 previously unreleased performances from the Blue Note Vault recorded 1952-1953)
    • [EXCLUSIVE] Ramone, Joey Christmas Spirit...In My House (RED VINYL 10", on vinyl for the first time)
    • [EXCLUSIVE] St. Vincent Pieta/Sparrow (2 new songs on a 10")

12" SINGLES/EPs (info from new-vinyl.blogspot.com):

• [EXCLUSIVE] Chvrches Under the Tide EP (180g 4 track 12" including the song "Strong Hand" which hasn't been released physically in the US before).

LPs (info from new-vinyl.blogspot.com):

• Afghan Whigs Gentlemen at 21 Deluxe 3LP Edition
    • [EXCLUSIVE] Death Grips Government Plates (LP press of this digital only release)
    • Fishbone Truth and Soul (1000 copies with 900 on RED Vinyl and 100 on GREEN (randomly inserted))
    • [EXCLUSIVE] Korn Paradigm Shift (2LP Picure Disc Deluxe Edition with expanded artwork)
    • [EXCLUSIVE] Little Richard S/T (2nd LP on CREAM COLORED vinyl!!)
    • McGhie, Wayne & The Sounds of Joy S/T (Originally released in 1970, now back in print. Caribbean funk, soul and reggae)
    • Soundtrack Looking for Johnny--The Legend of Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls) (RED Vinyl 2LP, each numbered)
    • [EXCLUSIVE] The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly Original Soundtrack by Ennio Morricone
    • The Dead Milkmen Big Lizard in My Backyard (1000 copies with 900 on GREEN and 100 on YELLOW (randomly inserted))
    • [EXCLUSIVE] Soundtrack--Game of Thrones (Deluxe 2LP set on Varese Sarabande....likely similar to the recent MOV pressing)
    • They Might Be Giants Flood (1500 copies with 1400 on GREEN and 100 on YELLOW (randomly inserted))
    • [EXCLUSIVE] Various Artists--This Warm December--A Brushfire Holiday Vol. 1 (1st Time on Vinyl!! Features artists such as Jack Johnson, Mason Jennings, G. Love, Money Mark and more!)

BOX SETS (info from new-vinyl.blogspot.com):

• [EXCLUSIVE] Davis, Miles Prestige 10-Inch LP Collection, Volume 1 (5x10" Box with the original 10" cover artwork and liner notes. Comes with booklet featuring new notes by Ira Gitler)
    • [EXCLUSIVE] Fantomas Wunderkammer (Deluxe set containing all 4 of their studio albums on 5LPs, available for the 1st time in the USA with a bonus cassette of their original demo recording, housed in a full artwork "barn door" style box)
    • Hazlewood, Lee There's a Dream I've been Saving: Lee Hazlewood Industries 1966-1971 8LP/4CD/1 DVD/1 Book BOX. -- Details: Incredible work from the legendary Lee Hazlewood – music and images that blow away his previous generation of creation for MGM, Mercury, and Warner Brothers – served up here in a package that really captures all the genius of Hazlewood during these amazing years! The package features this incredible material on 8LPs and 4CDs, 107 tracks of music on each format – with every single album track, 45 cut, and unreleased masters that Lee Hazlewood recorded for his own LHI imprint (including the full albums Cowboy In Sweden, Cowboy & The Lady, and Requiem For An Almost Lady) – plus all the key tracks from LHI artists like International Submarine Band, Sanford Clark, Honey LTD, Lynn Castle, Hamilton Streetcar, and many others – including 14 unreleased tracks. Then, you also get this incredible 172 page hardcover book – as bit as a giant LP box, with rare photos, liner notes, history, Lee Hazlewood timeline, and lots lots more. Then, you get the totally great film Cowboy In Sweden on a DVD – a rare 1970, hour-long film done by Lee in Sweden

REGIONAL RELEASES (info from new-vinyl.blogspot.com):
    • Andrew Jackson Jihad and ROAR split 7" (available at Revolver Records in Arizona only) SOURCE

Looks like we've got some exciting stuff coming up. What do you all think?

2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Ooooh I'm all over the lee hazelwood.

melstapler, aoxomoxoa and Brudy like this.
  3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Ben Kweller's Christmas single for me!

melstapler and josembriseno like this.
  4. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Any more info on that Miles Davis set?

5. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

BOX SETS (info from new-vinyl.blogspot.com):
    • [EXCLUSIVE] Davis, Miles Prestige 10-Inch LP Collection, Volume 1 (5x10" Box with the original 10" cover artwork and liner notes. Comes with booklet featuring new notes by Ira Gitler)
    Looks like a great release!

BTW, Ira Gitler is still alive? It was almost sixty years ago that he was doing the liner notes for original Blue Note and Prestige releases!

6. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I was really disappointed in the last Record Store day offerings. I am starting to feel that the whole is event is just big "hype" in order to get people to buy records that they don't really want or need. If they coordinated it to coincide with a big release event like Led Zep or the Beatles, that would be one thing, but I have been collecting vinyl for many years and some of these reprints of 7" singles are next to worthless in my opinion. Who cares? I don't get it.

A local record store still has many of them piled up and not selling.

Rodz42, Nostaljack, mooseman and 7 others like this.
  7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

8. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

My Local received the blurb for the Neil Young T Shirts. Hope Vol II of the LPs come out this time.

melstapler, footlooseman and jlf like this.
  9. piepants

piepants Forum Resident

I'm interested in the Afghan Whigs album, but so far that's it.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  10. jlf

Ira is indeed alive, at 88 years old! It's great to see he's still active. This set sounds like a keeper, that's for sure. I also heard NY Archives Vol. II will be coming out for Black Friday; it was cancelled at the last minute at RSD proper. This hasn't been officially confirmed yet. Again, all this info is secondhand. I can't claim to know anything "insider".

11. jlf

True, but you gotta admit, some of these releases are quite exciting, if overpriced.

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Oh please. Cash cows like the Beatles and zep don't need rsd hype. And I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the brave souls who endure the craziness of rsd want what they buy.

14. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

might buy they might be giants, but nothing I absolutely need. I'll keep my eyes to see what else makes the list though

15. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

There have to be people on this forum who bought stuff at RSD in April and haven't even cracked the seal on it.

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

So? This forum is a bad example. There are most likely people on this forum who bought stuff in 1967 that they haven't opened. If you are looking for examples, I spent about 400 bucks on rsd this year. And it all got cracked open.

JoeRockhead, Wilco, noyoucmon and 2 others like this.
  17. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

The Little Richard one looks interesting, to me, anyway. Looking forward to seeing what else will be coming out on Black Friday RSD!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  18. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I need a colored vinyl of Big Lizard in My Backyard like I need a hole in my head.

But I really want that one... :)

mickster, hidden1one, havenz and 3 others like this.
  19. thepluralofvinyl

thepluralofvinyl Forum Resident

I'm really stoked about the Dead Milkmen release and I know the wife will want the Whigs record. Just a reminder to the negative nancy's, you don't actually have to participate if you don't like it. If they're tricking you into buying records you don't want or need it says a lot about both their intelligence and yours (you being the "tricked" consumer).

hidden1one, Ben Adams, havenz and 3 others like this.
  20. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm not talking about any one person. I'm simply stating that a lot of people end up with stuff they don't really need at the record store, let alone on RSD.

21. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

The only thing I want is that Miles Davis boxset.

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

What a strange statement. A lot of people end up with stuff they don't really need PERIOD. Why single out records?

Kyhl, Tjazz, Paully and 1 other person like this.
  23. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Beacuse we're discussing records and you said this:

24. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I am trying to differentiate between titles I'm drawn to but shouldn't buy because I really don't want to hear them (or already have a version) and titles I do want but simply haven't had time to crack open yet. I have over stocked and don't need to buy anything for a long while but if I may want a RSD item then it seems getting it on the day at MSRP is the safe bet.

There isn't anything on the list so far I'm willing to fight a crowd over....I do want the Decemberists exclusive b-side...interested in Little Richard.I have my original Dead Milkmen LP, saw them live, don't think I need more.

I'm just not a fan of queuing up before store opens....and standing in Black Friday lines...otherwise I find RSD releasing interesting to shop. Usually there are a few I buy...there hasn't been a RSD yet that I haven't bought something. The vinyls craze is making the lines longer.

The Baseball "insert parallel card" marketing is notable. An LP has one color that is limited to 100/rare....immediately I want that one...because it's rare...why? so I can sell it for a profit? Do I feel happier with the rare version that sounds the same as the less rare version? I did get one of the more rare colors of MISFITS from past years...it was exciting but after a year or so it didn't see like such a prized collectible. I am talking myself out of getting on the band wagon for this part of the hobby :) Maybe any luck should be resold and reinvested in more titles ...that would be a great outcome...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I can only speak from my own experience, but I don't buy things I don't want.

ToEhrIsHuman, AZRunner and Okonrad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.