Record Store Day Black Friday, 11/28/2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Does anyone know who cut the New Order release?

2. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Has anyone got wind of the Miles Davis 10" box being available in Canada?

3. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

did someone say its not?!
    I'd be pissed cuz that's the only thing I want

backeast likes this.
  4. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

It wasn't Neil Young I was criticizing. I'm not sure how much faith I'd put in his efforts, but he does seem to put a lot of effort and funds towards making the world a better place.
    Some people's reluctance to accept money as a motivating force for vinyl, however, is a little strange.
    I still stand by my claim that the boxset is wildly overpriced. Good for him that he can get away with it.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

No, but I'm planning to pick it up Friday and can let you know what is in the deadwax.

@Bull Moose (well ok, it wasn't Chris himself!) called me today about an item I had requested a while back, and I asked them how many copies of NO and NY boxset they had in at that store. It was nice of them to provide that information.

jimhb and c-eling like this.
  6. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Why are all of you after the Neil Young box? You can get original copies of all of those albums in NM condition for cheaper than this. Guaranteed those buying them already have those. Seems pointless to me.

Some of the others sets look really nice though.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  7. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

We've been through this already and it's simply not true. Check out prices for all of these titles NM (with all inserts) on Popsike and do the math. I know TTN is especially hard to find in good condition. The notion originals of these titles are sitting in most record stores is a myth in my experience.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Lots of regional variation with used Neil vinyl. Clean copies of those 4 albums should be had online for less than $150-160 plus tax.

I'm not bothered by it as I've seen people pay $30 for new pressings of Supertramp or Billy Joel vinyl and can only shrug my shoulders.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The original textured cover of TTN is really prone to wear. Also, good luck finding a copy of Zuma with a clean cover at your local record shop.

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Can someone tell why on earth companies include vinyl and cds in the same box set? I would be intrigued by the Hazelwood box otherwise. I only buy vinyl so Cds would be useless to me.

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The reissues of the first four Neil titles were arguably better than the originals. Or better than 99% of the originals that I've seen for sale, at any price. Again, good luck finding an original copy of Harvest where the LP wasn't scratched/scuffed by the idiotic textured inner sleeve.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Agreed on 7"...whats the point?

13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I sold a 90s press of Tonight's the Night in NM condition on Discogs for $50, and the buyer was happy.

14. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I never see these titles used in NM condition. I'm getting the Box. Dare I say it...Your advice is not sound. :whistle:

AZRunner likes this.
  15. SoundAdvice

There's major regional variation with used availability in North America. Just like some of his US tours do 6,00 in some cities and 16,000 in others in the same week with only a couple hours drive in between. I saw 8 clean copies of Zuma at a recent record fair for $20-25 each. I paid maybe $60 for all 4 of these in the past 5-7 years.

For me, it was On The Beach that took me a couple years to find.

apple-richard likes this.
  16. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I know what you're saying. I was just making a funny remark. :angel:

:wave:

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've got 3 out of 4 on clean original vinyl, and am satisfied with the DVD-A for On The Beach.

18. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

If it was wildly overpriced it won't sell. But it will sell, so it is not overpriced.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  19. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

that's $20 a record. how is that not fair? I guess in an age of devalued music everything seems overpriced

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

And it will probably sell out at this price. Arguably, it should be priced higher.

21. backeast

backeast Forum Resident

LOL! I can't take any of these posts seriously! Some suggest they only want to produce enough to sell out in one day (RSD). Others say they are trying to produce as many as they can sell. I haven't looked to see how limited this set is, but it's hype like this that's going to carry over to the eBay scalpers - something Chris and other RSD participants want to minimize.
    I won't debate the price (what's the point really?). I do hope everyone that is willing to pay the asking price get the chance to buy it from an independent store.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  22. SoundAdvice

Why should it be priced higher?

Neil/Label have decided to aggressively price they recent vinyl releases and keep supply slightly limited.

23. SoundAdvice

I'm not saying which, but I'd look at 10 other RSD releases to hit the resale market.

Neil box + store markup + tax + ebay fees + crazy shipping = a very bad get rich scheme. You have to get nearly $60 per album to be worth the effort.

24. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Many times the reissue (if done right) is simply better. It's case by case though and many times 50/50 if we are going quality vs. quality. I have NY originals and reissues and in every case the reissue is better. Admittedly, I'm not sure my original copies of On the Beach and Zuma will be topped and I got those for $3 in NM condition. But who knows, vinyl can be cut without some of the limitations that existed before and cutting chains are better in some cases. It all depends on tape condition though.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The reissues of the Neil studio albums, and the live Archive Performance albums, are done to an incredibly high standard, in my opinion. High enough that I'm not going to break my back seeking perfect originals anymore, although if perfect originals fell into my lap, I wouldn't complain about that. I have a beautiful early 70s French Everybody Knows This is Nowhere that is the best pressing of that record that I've heard, but, in every other case, the reissues beat the original copies that I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.