Record Store Day Black Friday, 11/28/2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Hey, I want to buy it. I don't WANT it to be priced higher. But when supply is scarce and you can expect to sell out at the price you've selected, then you haven't set the optimal price. This is why limited edition records or tickets to popular concerts often command higher prices on the secondary markets. People will pay. The price is optimally set where the supply curve intersects the demand curve.

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

All NY fans are glad he is making these available. I've simply decided to stick with originals or find affordable used DVD-A of the recent recordings. Many fan simply balk at his pricing with way above virtually every other act selling albums at retail.

mikemoon likes this.
  3. SoundAdvice

They are priced high because they cannot find them, held back by sellers. It's artificial scarcity. REM Unplugged all over again.

This should be greatly discouraged on any RSD event and counterproductive for all involved.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Which other sets looks really good, just curious. I think the NY Box had a lot of
    I totally understand. Many times the originals are great. I don't do DVD-A but that's a great option!

The pricing is a little off the charts honestly. I'm not sure if it's him or the label or what. I had to order P. Pill from a retailer in German for $35 USD as it was going for $79 here.

5. SoundAdvice

Wilco/Hendrix have the same quality control for half the price.

Neil/label are using the vinyl to pay off the $2mil advance he gets every time he hands in a new album.

mikemoon likes this.
  6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I do that with a lot of reissues where a "good, clean original" is hard to find. Most clean pressings from 70-80 I trust. I've learned that one's earlier than approx. 70 can be rolled off and the ones after, the lineage can be in question or at least the mastering taste of the time.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Funny thing is I had the same analysis here. I wouldn't pay more than retail (which is high already)!

8. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

So that people can play the vinyl at home and the CD in their car (and/or make it easy to rip to a computer)?

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Anything else interested been confirmed all analog? I know that at least part of the intrigue with the NY box.

10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I'm not sure what you mean. Who cannot find what? Who is holding what back?

As to "artificial" scarcity, I don't remember if the number is 3500 or what, but that number sounds about right to me. Could Neil Young sell 5 or 10 thousand copies of this set? Maybe, but I don't know. 20 thousand? Doubtful.

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

And the albums will be available individually later. The box set is aimed at the ultra-collectors, not the casual vinyl fan.

12. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Neil Young rant in 3...2...1.

If anything this last year has proven to me is that I simply do not like Neil Young anymore. I guess I've been chasing the dragon after seeing him during the Weld tour (one of the best shows I've ever seen).

Literally everything he does these days; musically (his last few releases- blech), business (overpriced product and concerts, constant delays on things he knows fans want), personally (by wife, hello Daryl Hannah!), and politically (I'll leave this one alone) have all left a bad taste in my mouth.

After reading his book and the Biography "Shakey" (twice), it's also apparent he uses his talent, or muse, as an excuse to be an @$$. He simply doesn't seem to give a crap about any thing or any one (except maybe his disabled son, and the planet? And those two things seem, uh, a bit forced - a guilt complex of some sort).

It's increasingly difficult to support the guy and I've been a fan (really) for well over 30-years. And boy do I love Neil and the Horse when they bring it live!!!

Neil couldn't care less about me, so I guess I'm just responding in kind.

(but, damn do i need/want a clean copies of "tonight's the night" and "on the beach")

Aargh!!!

13. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

So true! For the most part, the Glory Years for vinyl!

14. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

It's one thing to say this and another to prove it. Pictures/receipts/links welcome.

15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Just went into a local shop and they have the lee hazelwood out for sale. Sitting here eating dinner and thinking about buying it...

16. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

ahead of black friday?

17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Yep. I held it in my hands.

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

So that's about $13 per disc. I haven't seen those prices for vinyl a whole lot recently. A reasonably priced quality pressing might set you back $18 per disc. That would come to $54. Reasonable to you?

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The downside here is the two songs per side. Yes, cut at 45rpm, but there's less space for the songs to breathe. The Mono Masters vinyl set may be one generation removed, but it sounds sensational. I have a NM UK original and it is dynamically compressed. The Mono Masters version is quite an improvement. The original is cool to have as a piece of history, but the Mono Masters set is about my favorite in the recent mono box.

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I have several of the UK EPs. Yes, they're a little bass shy, but they don't sound terrible. That they did the Long Tall Sally EP all-analog for Record Store Day is very cool, in my book. I bought one of the Stones RSD EPs last year that was very obviously a digital file dump onto vinyl.

21. brgman

brgman Forum Resident

You got anyone getting this for you yet?
    I'm after it also,if they have 2 I can grab it for you.Hell I hope they have at least one.Small shop is only thing around.

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Was able to get a copy of the Long Tall Sally EP. Sounds fantastic!

DavidFell and apple-richard like this.
  23. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Pretty self explanatory!

24. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

This is my copy from the 82 UK EP box. Sounds very nice. You're not going to lose fidelity because the sides are barely pushing 4 minutes each.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

backeast and Tommyboy like this.
  25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks, yes I do have a member going after it Friday, but I really appreciate the thought. Hope we both get one !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.