Record Store Day Black Friday, 11/28/2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I like your drink & "The Beach Boys Love You" ready to go as well.

Rick A.

apple-richard likes this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I didn't say they sound terrible. It's just that the Mono Masters vinyl set has it all over the EPs. I'm curious, have you heard the vinyl Mono Masters set?

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'd say you ARE losing fidelity at (over) 4 minutes per side. And the Mono Masters sounds better.

But the person I'd ask is someone like our host, Steve Hoffman. It's really two questions - One is which pressing sounds better. That you can answer by directly comparing them. The other question is how much can you put on a 7" single before you compromise the sound, whether it be compressed dynamics or limiting the bass.

That being said, I haven't heard the EP reissue. I'm comparing a clean, NM original to the Mono Masters pressing. The latter is more dynamic and is more spacious, more relaxed, has more breathing room. I really don't notice the one generation removed because the fidelity is so good. The original is fresh, but it's also relatively loud, that is, compressed. It's still wonderful to listen to, but later UK singles like Paperback Writer and Day Tripper, both still 2+ minute songs, benefit greatly from having their own side.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    apple-richard likes this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Guess that makes some sense...hadn't thought of that. Still, there should be a vinyl only box imo.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Had 3 Hazelwood RSD boxes in my hands earlier today when helping a friend do some pricing. If I had them in Vancouver Canada, how "regional" can it be?

6. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

The offical section title is "Small run or regional releases". Light In The Attic says 1000 are available,so that qualifies.

7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

They can be hard to find in good condition for a good price. In the last 5 years, I did pick up originals for his albums EKTIN, ATGR, TNTN, OTB and Zuma for a grand total of $30. This is not atypical and I lucked out on some unplayed DJ Promos for 3 of them going for $3-$4 a pop the others were $10 each. I've seen S/T for about $20 locally and Harvest I guess can range from $5-$20+? Most of his early albums can be had for $20 or less but it seems TNTN - Zuma are harder to find and go for more money.

I just recently gave in on the reissue of Harest (in route) to complete my set of the first 4 albums. They are just so good and that is why I'm also in the market for these new ones because I'm confident they can be as good or better than the originals. I'm not someone who cares to own too many multiples but for an artist like Neil, I make the exception....at a reasonable price.

Does anyone know if these be available at a later date unboxed?

8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Wu-Tang!:D

Bull Moose likes this.
  9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Maybe he wanted them to be a 50/50 or Tri-blend. Those are my preferences and Neil, who shares a birthday with me, might just be as particular as myself.

10. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The first 4 were produced at 180 grams individually as well. I opted for those for whatever reason.

Even though we complain about the price of NY vinyl, I think $150 for 4 albums in the box done with care all the way around is a decent market price. I'd rather pay $150 than $125 done at United or Rainbo.

11. I was in one of the 7 (last count) record shops participating in Black Friday RSD. Pretty sure the buyer said he ordered the Miles Davis 10 inch box. So I'm guessing it will be available up here.

How do I get to 7 record shops at the same time? o_O :laugh: I'm going to do some scouting after work at 3 or 4 of the stores to try and find out what kind of fill they got, if they'll tell me.

I tried the same tactic for the April RSD. One of the stores wouldn't help me. Female clerk said she was not allowed to tell customers in advance, what the store received as far as RSD titles were concerned.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    audiolab1 likes this.
  12. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Yes, but I think the present (if you shop carefully) are the glory years for quality, not quantity. We have faithfully remastered albums that can be mastered without some of the limitations of the past. We also have a well curated used vinyl.

Now the caveat, is that there is a lot of reissued "fluff" out there. Also, some used vinyl is rising in price and reaching the overpriced mark.

13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

So you think they will be released individually? I know based on the last series it is a good educated guess but not makes sense in the music industry.

If so, I will likely wait since I got the first 4 individually. That is unless I stumble upon the box, but I'm not hunting it down.

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You can have a look on ebay for some recent prices. I haven't been looking for awhile but all of those records could be had for less than the price they are selling for in that box set when I was looking quite awhile back.

The difference with that box set is your likely to get mint copies, with great sound, with great packaging as a guarantee. So I can see why some would pay a premium.

But if you weren't bothered about that you could go the online route and get Mint or NM graded copies for less IMO.

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm on the fence about the box. I would love to start collecting NY on vinyl, but that is the rub. I recall his Live At The Cellar Door was priced at $40 or something last year and all of his vinyl seems to be priced higher than others (like you said, they are usually excellent Pallas pressings on high quality wax). I know once I test the waters I'll be getting the previous reissues, the Greatest Hits LP, and everything else! Slippery slope indeed.

Now if I stumble upon it on Friday...

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Can you imagine if liquour stores started participating in RSD?!?

"Why yes, I'll take that Beatles shot glass. And is that an autographed Jack Daniels/Led Zep IV vinyl reissue combo pack?"

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

LOL. It is almost to that point. I think nearly every major band has beer glasses and/or shot glasses, etc - and even some bands had some wines with their logos on them. I know the Dead did all that. The Beatles have all kinds of glasses, as do Pink Floyd, Bob Marley. etc. So we are there!!!

18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

light in the attic is based in seattle, so i'd say that's regional.

19. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

I'm in for:
    Miles box
    Neil Young Box
    Frozen 7"
    Little Richard
    Elvis Presley

20. Stanshallogist

Stanshallogist Forum Resident

Whats the price supposed to be in the stores for long tall sally?

21. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

$15
    $15 ish

22. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

I was able to order it from an online retailer for 12€ yesterday and they shipped it immediately.

23. #OneOccupation

#OneOccupation Well-Known Member

I noticed about 10 CRB 10" singles on ebay last week selling
    between $40 and $100, thats quite a range.

Our local shop Recycled Records has the Dead 2lp listed at $38

24. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

People if I may chime in here I must say if you love Neil and/or collect vinyl SHUT UP AND BUY THE BOX.

Like you all I hemmed and hawed and complained about how over priced the 1st box was while all the while I watched some of you unbox and rave about it.

Well low and behold I waited so long the box sold out and the price skyrocketed on the secondary market.

Yes I'm one of those idiots who finally caved and bought for $100 OVER what I could have had it for so a lesson well learned.

Without question I will be grabbing one of these if not 2 tomorrow.

One last sidenote. Saturday 11/29 is American Express' "Small Business Saturday" so register your card and check your local indie store to see if they participate that way you get $10 back on a purchase of over $25. Takes some of the sting out of some of the high prices these RSD exclusives go for.

25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I want the VU album, have the cd but I saw them on the tour and it would be a nice addition to my collection.

No chance of getting it here in Switzerland though so hopefully if I hang on for a while it will be available at a sensible price online like a lot of RSD stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.