Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

There's also a thread in the Coupons, Discounts, etc section listing a bunch of stores selling their leftovers.

Bull Moose starts selling theirs tomorrow morning and I'm sure a few others too. Like the man said, don't give up so easily. Its out there for sure.

dkmonroe, Christopher B and sirmikael like this.
  2. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

Yes, I got it yesterday at my local. It was their last one, I'd actually forgotten I wanted it and just saw it in one of the bins.

I also got the Bobbie Gentry BBC LP, a blind buy that sounded cool, and kind of a left-field pick for me. I just spun it, and I like it even more than I'd hoped. Great songs, impeccably played by a bigger band, which is a format I love for this kind of rootsy country music. And a solid pressing. Awesome. And got the live Neil, which is as classic as it gets. I may still pick up the Tangerine Dream if I see it, and the Moondance if I break down.

One cool thing that happened yesterday: When I arrived at 10 AM (that's when I can get there on Saturdays), the store had been open already for 2 hours and were still fairly mobbed. There were signs on the windows saying 'Johnny Cash LP Sold Out'. I didn't take much notice, and didn't find out until much later that it was a giveaway LP. So last night when I was going through my LPs to play a couple, what did I find but the Cash singles comp in there. They slipped it into my stack when I was checking out, unbeknownst to me. Obviously they were saving some of their allotment for their regulars. A real class move by a great store. PCV Records in Oakville, for the record. Ha ha, record.

RSD is supposed to be fun, people getting all bitter about it are missing the point entirely. Sure it's not perfect, but a good excuse to just go out and buy a record, maybe see some bands in-store or something. Getting intense about it seems like a big waste of energy and only contributes to the problems. One other really good aspect of RSD is that it gets out some cool releases that would otherwise just be bootlegs. I've always been big on live and unofficial recordings, and to get stuff professionally done and out officially is great for fans. I've also never once had (or is it bothered?) to go on eBay or anything like that to get RSD stuff.

LivingForever, CouryT, APH and 8 others like this.
  3. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Anyone pick up the Jerry Garcia Run for the Roses ? I want that too but it is issued by Round Records...skeptical of a label Ive never heard of.

Erik B. likes this.
  4. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

You mean the Johnny Cash single? If not what's the name of the LP you're referring to? Surely not the Folsom Prison box.

5. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Round Records was the Dead's label for solo/side projects., ie Round is a subsidiary of 'Grateful Dead Records', but the RSD release is a Rhino release

Christopher B and Erik B. like this.
  6. Enjoying the Sun comp now, loved the Van lp, liked the RATM lp and thoroughly enjoyed the Neil lp. Still have Elvis to go!

Hoping to get that Rory Gallagher lp too somehow..

Yesterday was a good day. Crazy busy in Portland.

Rekkerds likes this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Canadian only freebie.

8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Get off, eh!

Twinsfan007 and Erik B. like this.
  9. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

NICE

Erik B. and TonyCzar like this.
  10. Richard--W

Thanks for telling us about that.
    Just bought it on discogs.
    Canadian seller gouged me $7.35. Waiting for him to respond about the postage to USA.

OptimisticGoat and Mylene like this.
  11. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Yeesh. At least $69 would be somewhat more appropriate.

12. Richard--W

Just lost out on Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison on discogs.
    Somebody else bought it while I was clicking the buttons.

13. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

I didn't know it was Canada-only, or I might've been more specific. But yeah, it's an LP comp of Cash's early singles. I have most of them already, so we'll see what I do with it, but very cool regardless. If this hadn't already been answered, I'd have definitely tried to convince you that in Canada stores were actually giving away the big boxed set you missed, just to completely push you over the edge, ha.

teag likes this.
  14. I swear I saw that one yesterday here. ..

Mylene likes this.
  15. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

The last B-52's live RSD record subsequently was released on cd. What are the chances the latest B-52's live RSD release will come out on CD as well?

16. Richard--W

Tried to buy Elvis The King In the Ring on discogs for $50, but again, it got bought whilst I was clicking the buttons.

17. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

18. Richard--W

I went over the edge yesterday. Ha ha ha yourself.

The neighbor's dog won't be barking at any more birds for awhile, I can tell you that.

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Saw the Sun Records comp at the Newbury Comics at Saugus One Mall.

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mill Valley Music has many of these in Northern CA.

Mazzy likes this.
  21. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Went to Record Store Day late in the afternoon. I found Zappa/Lumpy Gravy and Neil Young/Roxy at The Last Store in Santa Rosa, Ca. Bought Pink Floyd/Piper from a Discogs seller in Poland for $57 dollars US. All in all a good day, considering I’m selling off a lot of my more valuable vinyl on Discogs.

22. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I did, it's sublime in sound packaging and the ultra cool colored vinyl. My favorite RSD release!

Drew769 and jamesmaya like this.
  23. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Munros1969 likes this.
  24. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

And the "art print" is just a smaller version of the blurry photo inside the gatefold, so you're not missing anything of value.

MarkO and hutlock like this.
  25. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Well I have to say that it was super easy to find all the releases I missed yesterday by perusing all the online indie stores today. With the exception of Arcade Fire and Pink Floyd there wasn't anything I didn't see available from one store or another. Even the two I just named were available in the morning but I didn't start looking till early afternoon. Here's what I have coming in the mail.

the LZ 7"
    Wilco Live at the Troubador
    Jeff Buckley Live at Sin E
    The Sundays Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic
    Elvis King of the Ring

The best part was one of those stores had the RSD Sundays Static and Silence from Black Friday. That thing sells for $70 now and I got it at cost. I just need Blind now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.