Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I wish Twist and Shout in Denver did this. It is a madhouse... and not in a cool way.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A few jump out..The Kinks, Zappa ,Neil Young, Gene Clark

3. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

It will be interesting to see what they actually do have, they had a pretty big selection on Black Friday in all their stores, although I know that is a smaller event.

4. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

So I've been running RSD at my location since it started...Its always been a fun problem free day but this year I think I'm going to try something different. The first 20 people in line I'm going to ask them what's the one record their after and put it aside for them rather than have a mad scramble and those lined up first sometimes out of luck...does that sound reasonable? any possible drawbacks? just looking for opinions.

backeast, kronning, dee and 5 others like this.
  5. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Sounds reasonable to me.

I am curious: Do you not take orders by good customers for RSD items?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I think that is a great idea.

7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I thought of holding a raffle drawing on the day, for the items of which there are but one or two copies only. The prize could be priority choice of selection, or an item specifically.

8. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

No- no holds for even the best customers employees etc. Try to keep it as fair as possible.

9. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

I think that could be problematic only because someone who shows up late could get a copy instead of the person who camped out overnight

10. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I wouldn't necessarily mind some sort of preference given to those early in the line(beyond being a step ahead of the guy behind you) though I could imagine it really sucking if every one bought everything so having stuff out at least allows those further back some chance of getting something if they head to the right spot. so ya maybe you get to pick one most desired item is a good happy medium.

definitely a tough choice.

11. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

How many people genuinely camp out overnight, though? Especially with the winter we've been having in the northeast this year.

MrSka57 likes this.
  12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

One store I went to had maybe 50 people outside at opening time. Just before it opened a store employee went down the line in order and asked us which one item we wanted the most, that was then reserved for us as long as it was still available. When everybody had reserved, we were let up to the counter one by one to get our reserved item and told from a list what else was still available.

13. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Haven't been to Record Store Day in a while and, well, crap, I was looking forward to this one and thought I would check the list again only to realize somehow I got mixed up and two of the three records I really wanted (Courteeners and Wolf Alice) are UK releases and not on the US list. A 35 mile drive to stand in line for the chance at the one remaining record probably isn't going to happen. As I said, crap.

14. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Well, that's the whole idea of the raffle ~ eliminate the overnight-camping.
    It may not be possible for a store owner to know ahead of time what titles they will be getting
    ( based on their order request ) but if one were to initiate raffle entries for priority selection placement well in advance, the camping and the push&shove could be avoided.

15. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

You're right. T&S is a madhouse on RSD. I shouldn't complain though. That just means other stores in town are less crowded.

16. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

I see what you're saying. It's something you would have to implement well in advance I think

17. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

The Grant Green LP's are seriously well packaged, pressed and presented.

18. Nightswimmer

Okay, I am not sure that this is fair at all, but it is your business after all.

I preorder all my stuff at my local dealers. I have three that I can ask. And they take orders not only from me, but from many people. I do not understand why US shops are so peculiar about this first come, first serve thing. I certainly would not get in line at 6 in morning for some records. But I'll gladly pay to pick them up at ten.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  19. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

Sounds like the secret Third Man Records release is a new album from Sleep. RSD pressing on weed green vinyl with a regular press later.
    I’ll be adding that to my want-list, along with,
    Wire - 9 7’s boxset
    The Wipers
    Pink Floyd
    Swans

Grow Fins and AZRunner like this.
  20. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

you'd be surprised man...I get there at 6am and there's usually 15 to twenty diehards. It's the sickness we all have to some degree. There's nothing better as a retailer having someone so pumped about their new record. It's what makes me still love my job since I started in music retail in 87. 30 years and I get to talk about music every day.

No Static and Purplefowler like this.
  21. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I've found that Wax Trax doesn't order as much for RSD compared to T&S and often doesn't get the non-rock releases that I'm looking for (when they participate). What other stores do you suggest checking out? Angelo's?

22. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

The Floyd set is also rather nice.

23. Nightswimmer

And insanely overpriced.

oddsbodkins likes this.
  24. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I’ll be heading out to join the queue at around 4.30-5am but last year there was a crazy dude who pulled an all nighter for it. Thankfully the weather looks great here as summer seems to have hit with a bang (probably the only good weather we will get all year!)

25. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

And that’s the biggest reason I’m hitting it early! I really appreciate having a great local independent record shop and I do everything I can to support everything he does. He puts so much in to his business and I know it means a lot to him when his regulars do their bit to share the love. If it means getting up at stupid o’clock on day a year then I’m happy to do it, I get some great records and he gets to see how much his business means to his customers

SJP, Saul Pimon, zwolo and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.